Ridiculous fuel mileage - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have an SEL w/ DCT - 16" wheels. My average since 6/8 is 35.2 mpg, which is city, highway and stop-and-go traffic. I gained .3 mpg since switching to full synthetic. Quality fuel seems to add in similar, almost insignificant numbers.

So, I would have to think it's your tire size and/or the resistance. If you're not throwing any codes and nothing is causing drag, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
ducati20
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105190
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ducati20 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
not sure how cold it gets in AZ where u are but that has lots to do w/ mileage... in all my cars i've ever owned, when it gets cold in the winter (i mean really cold canadian cold, not the wimpy cold of the mid atlantic and southern states) mileage in the city suffers (hwy stays pretty much the same)... i see 25-30 mpg city in temps above 40F but when it's well below freezing my mpgs drop to low to mid twenties....
Huh... I didn't think about the cold, but there are a ton of things the cold can affect on a car that would decrease gas mileage...
Lol... it doesn't get cold here in Phoenix... today was a chilly 62 degrees...

Sent from my Samsung tab
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
One thing that has to be understood about this car is it's a hog upon acceleration. The 18 inch, 28(?)ish pound wheels only compound the problem, especially when it's mostly city acceleration, then stopping again at the other end of the block. Who knows about all the additional slowing/accelerating that happens during city driving. Well, you see the cycle. I can't tell your location while posting this from my phone, but we are working ourselves into the the season which helps even less for a several reasons.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
mcdiv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94558
What I Drive: 2012 titanium, kona blue

FF Reputation: 1 mcdiv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I've got 3400 kilometers on a 2012 Ti hatch and I must say I'm far more than dissapointed in the mileage I'm getting. It's actually atrocious. I understand the driving style effects mileage...yadda...yadda..yadda, but the sticker says 7.3 L/per 100 KM city and I'm flirting with 11 L/100. 10.8 to be precise. Thats F-150 V8 territory. I don't drive like miss Daisy but I don't drive like The Bandit either. I know 7.3 is a perfect world but I'd expect something close to that albeit a little more. I'm lucky to get 400 kilometers to a tank with 150 of that on the highway. I got rid of a car in part to fuel mileage only to end up with the same thing, but with payments again. Its the DCT and it runs great and is a joy to drive mind you, but this mileage is really not sitting well with me.
If your city driving is real downtown Toronto driving I wouldn't expect much as far as mileage. I have a really short commute, and the cold engine combined with city driving gives me around 13L/100km. If I get on the highway and reset things get much better. No 18s, and no real hot dogging, either. I would also say that you can't really say you're getting into F-150 territory, because that's assuming that the F-150 would be right around its estimates where the Focus isn't.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdiv View Post
If your city driving is real downtown Toronto driving I wouldn't expect much as far as mileage. I have a really short commute, and the cold engine combined with city driving gives me around 13L/100km. If I get on the highway and reset things get much better. No 18s, and no real hot dogging, either. I would also say that you can't really say you're getting into F-150 territory, because that's assuming that the F-150 would be right around its estimates where the Focus isn't.
I'm actually mississauga area and I really wish i could sue the province for what they have done to our cities. They look like war zones. Gridlock beyond comprehension. I've been to L.A. What's that like 19 million people in that region? They have no where near the problems of an area of 5 million. Disgusting. My area is not as bad as Toronto, but the minute I'm off the highway and touch that gas pedal, the avg economy number starts climbing instantly.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Cougarslair
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102690
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Cougarslair Good Standing Member
I commute from Markham part way into Toronto, about a 30 km drive with a third of that on Hwy404, and since getting my new Focus towards the end of August Im typically getting 8.9L/100km.
I was driving a 2012 Civic (which I found dull and boring!) for about 3 weeks recently whilst my car was being repaired after being crunched, and it was averaging just slightly more than that, about 9.4L/100km so I dont think my Focus is too bad and definitely better than my 2004 Freestar!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #17
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My Ti consistently averages 30mpg+ with 75% highway driving.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #18
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
I have a Titanium with 18" wheels (suspension package).

When I first bought the car, it was getting much lower miles per gallon that I thought it should. ~24 mpg in the city and a best of ~34 mpg highway. As the engine broke in, currently just over 6,000 miles, I have noticed that city mpg has increased up to 29-30 mpg. I still have not bested the current 34 mpg on the highway, but haven't taken a long trip like that since. I did drive ~250 miles yesterday, but I was not driving for max efficiency, only netting 33 mpg. Driving at 90-100 mph is not the way to get max efficiency.

Keep the faith, as your engine breaks in, the efficiency will improve.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Just curious, when are you guys switching to synthetic? First oil change? That enough of a breakin period? I know the manual has synthetic as an approved oil.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I have the handling package. But, an 18" summer rated hard sidewall, low profile tire will no doubt offer less rolling resistance than other setups. That should aid in mileage unless the rims are made of cement. We are talking 21 mpg here. That is brutal. I'm not even taking it above 4000 rpm, and that's spirited driving. I'm in Ontario. Its pancake flat here. Like I said, car runs great and I really quite enjoy driving it but something is amiss here.

I think something is broken besides the low tire pressure if you're getting 21 MPG on E10 gasoline (not E85 or anything w/ more than 10% alcohol). I have never received less than 28 MPG over a tankful or two in my Ti w/18" tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires use a low rolling resistance rubber and design despite being an "Ultra-High Performance Sport" tire, so the drag everyone talks about when using those tires is not likely there at that 1-2 MPG level if they're any worse at all over the other OEM tires.. That tire gets a 9 out of 10 on rolling resistance ratings at Michelin. I recently put narrower 215/50x17" Blizzak WS-70 snow tires on my car and the gas mileage got slightly worse. That could be simply due to colder temps. though.

Normal MPGs for me lately with a full throttle blast here and there (every day) and my winter tires on are 29-37 (using mid-grade gas). The MPGs really drop in constant stop and go traffic so if all your driving is that that's a part of the problem too. I have around 5000 miles on mine and it seems to run better all the time. Yours will most likely improve too (you've only got 3400 kilometers on it) as the engine wears in (breaks in) more.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->