03 SVT sway bar hitting body...need suggestions - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #31
Malpopies
Banned

Fan#: 102051
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Silver Frost #3519

FF Reputation: 1 Malpopies Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
Good to know! Make sure you secure it so it can't shift again and cause more problems for you.
On the stock springs it was a good ride, now i reinstalled FRPP springs and the ride is descent, but when going over bumps or dips on the road, i have to slow down or the bump stop will start screaming..

im not a huge fan of such weird suspension issues, but i love the car since it only cost me $1,800 in total, so lets hope this is it..

Thanks to all and someone should sticky this issue because im pretty sure many people have this issue and cant find any solution, just like me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Shave some material off the bump stop. Just enough to stop it from hitting constantly.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
have you ever replaced the shocks on your SVT? They may be blown. I know before I replaced mine I bumped the stops frequently, but after replacement only on big stuff.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #34
Malpopies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed03 View Post
have you ever replaced the shocks on your SVT? They may be blown. I know before I replaced mine I bumped the stops frequently, but after replacement only on big stuff.
M-18000-ZX3 from Tousley Ford, 500 miles on them.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #35
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you want to keep a swaybar centered, just buy two split shaft collars from McMaster-carr, sized to the swaybar diameter.

Something like this:
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #36
Malpopies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
If you want to keep a swaybar centered, just buy two split shaft collars from McMaster-carr, sized to the swaybar diameter.

Something like this:
Thats a great option, but after installing FRPP springs, i dont really like how the front sags and basically bottoms out on the bump stops. Its sad because i love the suspension on those springs, but i dont want to separate my shock towers when i will have to take a ride to NYC..

I was thinking about Koni Yellows for the front, but how do i know for sure that they will be stiffer and not squash the bump stops or spill my drink..
Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #37
onesveetsvt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84625
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT EURO

FF Reputation: 3 onesveetsvt Good Standing Member
Hi everybody,
I believe that I'm experiencing the problem explained in this feed. On my SVT I have the Koni sport springs paired with the Koni Str-t struts all around. I did an autocross last week and pushed the car harder than I ever did before. Now, in the passenger side wheel well when ever the strut goes up and down on any uneven surface I'm hearing this rubbing sound (like Chik-cah chik-cah). I took it to my mechanic and he told me that it looked like the sway link was hitting the body so he grounded off part of the sway link where it was hitting, but its still making this sound. I'm pretty sure my sway bar shifted from the autocross but the sound that I'm experiencing isn't this loud clank that everybody is claiming. My questions are, 1. does it sound like I may have the same issue going on with the sway bar moving? 2. when everybody says that the sway bar shifts to the left, do they mean in the direction of the drivers side? (b/c depending upon where you stand, left can be either way)

btw, my mechanic said the whole front end received a good bill of health.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #38
Malpopies
Banned

Well, in my case, the sway bar has moved towards the driver side a whole inch and the bolt that comes out of the sway bar link is what was hitting the unibody (frame). I spent a lot of energy to center it and i've cut off the thread plus some of the nut off of the link and now its good, even on my FRP springs on nyc roads. The clamps that the above user showed me are an easy way fix, but i'm gonna try to fabricate a piece of steel bracket type in between the top mount of the link that attatches to the strut. An inch lower should give it enough travel not to touch the body. I'll post pics of it soon.

It's a weird flaw and many like me have replaced unnecessary parts in order to solve this 'clunk' while going over bumps on the road.

P.S.
Sway bar is a nice and thick piece of hardened steel, but like all steel, it bends to certain point before braking..

Bookmarks & Social Networks