Crunch sound when going over dips??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105248
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 katkrazy2007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Crunch sound when going over dips???

Well, now that i've solved the other problems, of course a new one occurs!!! Well, there is a dip on my road that I run over when I head to work everyday and when my '08 SES runs over this dip, I hear this odd "crunch" noise and I'm not sure where it is coming from. And it only happens when I am going over this dip and then I don't hear it anymore through my day even when going over other bad parts of roads and bumps. I am scared that this is something serious? Or is it something that isn't a big deal? Could it be the weather changing from being warm to being really cold in the morning? (I live in North MS if that helps if weather is involved)

I hope and pray that this isn't anything serious and that it is a pretty quick and non-dramatic fix. I need input everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91996
What I Drive: 2014 White SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 3 mrdeath2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
maybe the plastic flap under the bumper, like a splash guard? look under there and poke at it with your hand and see what it does.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by katkrazy2007 View Post
Well, now that i've solved the other problems, of course a new one occurs!!! Well, there is a dip on my road that I run over when I head to work everyday and when my '08 SES runs over this dip, I hear this odd "crunch" noise and I'm not sure where it is coming from. And it only happens when I am going over this dip and then I don't hear it anymore through my day even when going over other bad parts of roads and bumps...
Hi katkrazy2007,

Have you considered swinging by the dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are your best bet when it comes to diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
maybe the plastic flap under the bumper, like a splash guard? look under there and poke at it with your hand and see what it does.
Thanks for the good info, mrdeath2000!

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you mean in the front or in the back? And if it was the guard, wouldn't it do it all the time, when I drove over other bumps? It only does it on this dip when I'm heading to work early in the morning. After that, no noise while I'm driving any other time and no noise while turning. It made one little crunch sound right exactly after the dip that makes the big sound when I take a left at a four way stop after the dip and then after that, no more noise. I thought maybe it could be some type of bushings? But I will go check the splash guard. If it is that, how could you make it stop?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91996
What I Drive: 2014 White SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 3 mrdeath2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Front. IF it's the splash guard, fixing it depends on what exactly is wrong, may be a simple bolt/push plug has come out, maybe the plastic cracked. Have to see it.

Are driving over this dip in the morning straight on or one tire at a time (like driving over a speed bump and only having one tire go over the bump)?

Before you leave in the morning push on the corners of your car in an effort to cycle the shocks/struts on each corner and see if that changes anything. Maybe it's something thats needing lubrication and sitting over night it settles and that dip in the morning frees it up. Just guessing and throwing crap out there :)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
yellowknife SVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100990
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 yellowknife SVT Good Standing Member
Could be a tie rod. The connection is like a ball and socket. The socket part gets worn and makes a thumping sound when going over bumps. Car can be placed on a lift and then you check for play.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Front. IF it's the splash guard, fixing it depends on what exactly is wrong, may be a simple bolt/push plug has come out, maybe the plastic cracked. Have to see it.

Are driving over this dip in the morning straight on or one tire at a time (like driving over a speed bump and only having one tire go over the bump)?

Before you leave in the morning push on the corners of your car in an effort to cycle the shocks/struts on each corner and see if that changes anything. Maybe it's something thats needing lubrication and sitting over night it settles and that dip in the morning frees it up. Just guessing and throwing crap out there :)
mrdeath2000, thanks for that tip! I will definitely check out the splash guard and try the cycling thing tomorrow. I haven't driven her any today so far. I'm thinking its something that is caused by sitting overnight/cold weather. Hoping and praying anyhow. I'm just gonna keep on driving her for a while and not worry about it and we will see what happens!

And to answer about how I drive over it, I am going straight over it without angling my tires at all. Its straight on. I hope this helps!! (:
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
katkrazy2007
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowknife SVT View Post
Could be a tie rod. The connection is like a ball and socket. The socket part gets worn and makes a thumping sound when going over bumps. Car can be placed on a lift and then you check for play.
yellowknife, I don't get a thumping sound anymore (that turned out to be my control arm). Its just a scrape sound that I don't get all the time. I run over bumps, speed bumps, railroad tracks, etc and I don't get it throughout the day. I've only heard it twice: both times I was leaving early in the morning when it was cold and hitting that dip straight on.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
what woild be cool is if you could get your phone out and when you go over the dip have it recorded and see if we all can hear this sound as well
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
try different speeds, we had a really nasty dip near work (they finally fixed it 2 weeks ago, its been there for years) and if I went thru it at anything over 50 km/hr my hard plastic mudflaps on the front wheels would touch down when the struts would compress. It annoyed me so much that I changed the mudflaps to a softer rubber one. Can you tell roughly what part of the car the noise is coming from?

Bookmarks & Social Networks