Theory - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Having a 'dual exhaust' on a 4 cylinder won't really net you a quieter exhaust. Exhaust will always favor the shortest route. Yeah, a little exhaust will go the longer route, but your shortest path is going to get the most exhaust through it.

You can get the FS Stealth exhaust, but you could always buy a resonated exhaust with whatever muffler & that will be about the same & may or may not be cheaper depending on your connections. I'd recommend going the stainless steel route with whatever you choose. Its going to last longer than aluminized steel, which will rust out much quicker than stainless.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Lashik
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68686
What I Drive: 2001 Midnight blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Lashik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Awesome, thank you for the reply. I knew the idea didn't sound right in my head, but I couldn't figure out where the flaw in the logic might be. Thanks! Will be saving up for the stealth.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Usually the scavenging effects on the 4 cyl are needed if you split it right after the CAT you could potentially lose some performance (that's why H pipes or X pipes are usually an addition to the dual exhaust on the V8's.

You could do something at the rear of the car if room using a single inlet dual outlet muffler. I always think its weird in the winter though when you see 90% of the "steam"/exhaust fumes coming out of one tail pipe and nothing out of the other. the whole will flow the path of least resistance.

the FSworks stealth exhaust is one of the best. you could go with a 3" from Trubendz and then add in a large and long resonsantor but would most likely be more costly than the FSworks Stealth exhaust.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Amen brother. Dual exhausts cost power on 4 cylinders, you need the flow down a proper sized pipe to scavenge head better. Generally more noise, hey you bought the four, ALL fours have potential to make more noise, the exhaust pulses are far enough away from each other they do not interfere with each other to kill noise. Look how single exhaust on a V-8 kills noise compared to duals, the cramming in there of all those sound waves kills power but kills noise too.

You can forget any ideas of necessary back pressure as old wives tales that cost you power. You want pressure as low as possible.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #15
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Gaaack...................................

Last edited by amc49; 11-11-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I believe you will be fine as along as you don't go with a straight pipe, some cheap muffler or upgrade nothing but the muffler.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Single exit is your best bet. I have heard the Borla and it sounds deep and not raspy. Most well put together Focus exhausts don't get the cheapo sound that the Civics tend to have(due in part to some of their owner's having cheap tastes).
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!

Bookmarks & Social Networks