question about xcal3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
question about xcal3

im thinking about getting the xcal 3, my question is i know they come preloaded from cfm and have adjustable options...... my main question is can i adjust idle speed myself or will i need a tuner like tom or randy to do that for me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Focus112
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50026
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 Focus112 Good Standing Member
i think you can do idle yourself.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
See below
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02

Last edited by matmatician; 11-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
i know this but i just want to start simple, i see its a x3 preloaded with 3 tunes...... excellant now i see something about sf3 im so confused about them!!!! im mainly interested in the 3 preloaded tunes and the user adjustable features then in the future i will get a custom....i wish i could understand
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
See below
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02

Last edited by matmatician; 11-09-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covmister View Post
im thinking about getting the xcal 3, my question is i know they come preloaded from cfm and have adjustable options...... my main question is can i adjust idle speed myself or will i need a tuner like tom or randy to do that for me?
They come pre-loaded with tunes made by SCT, not CFM. These will be generic tunes for fuel Octane rating, 91, 93 and race fuel.

You might be able to adjust the idle. This is something you'd have to ask CFM directly, only they will know. There are various options they can allow you to change, or not allow you to change.
Generally though, idle speed is one that's always unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
You can adjust all of the settings on your own, there are a bazillion options on there to fiddle with. And I'm fairly sure you can even buy an xcal unit without a preloaded tune If you really
Need to save money.
That said, if you pay just a bit more, you can get it pre loaded with a tune that's gonna do a whole lot more than just adjust your idle.. Im working with Tom right now, and he's very adept what he does.
There are not "a bazillion options you can fiddle with". There are about 12 things you might be able to adjust. But this is only if the person writing the tune has unlocked them.
A flash tool with no tune is useless. You won't be able to adjust anything. All it's useful for is a scantool or datalogging tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covmister View Post
i know this but i just want to start simple, i see its a x3 preloaded with 3 tunes...... excellant now i see something about sf3 im so confused about them!!!! im mainly interested in the 3 preloaded tunes and the user adjustable features then in the future i will get a custom....i wish i could understand
You need to re-read the ad on CFM's site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFM
Just like the Xcalibrator evolved into the Xcalibrator 2, the evolution continued with SCT's Xcalibrator 3 flash tuner!
The New Xcalibrator 3 flash tuner by SCT comes pre-programmed but also functions as a custom tuner allowing up to 3 custom tunes for vehicles not supported by its pre-programmed files or for custom applications.
The new Xcalibrator 3 features a much larger backlight display making it easier to display and read. This makes the built in data logging and real time vehicle monitoring capabality more convenient.
Unlike the previous Xcalibrator, this device features two analog input to support any 0 to 5 volt devices such as a wideband 02 sensor, EGT sensor, or 2/3 bar map sensors (not included).
The Xcalibrator 3 like its predecessor also has adjustable end user parameters and diagnostic capability allowing you to read and clear DTC trouble codes. The best part is you get all these extra features for the same price as previous Xcalibrator models!
The First Compact Hand Held Flash Tool to feature up to 3 PRE-LOADED tune files while storing the factory tune, COMPLETE USER ADJUSTABILITY & BUILT IN HIGH SPEED DATA LOGGING!
Pre-Programmed with up to 3 tune files for the MOST popular Ford models
On-Screen Data Logging or Pass-Thru Data Logging via SCT's Live Link Software
Read / Clear & Diagnose DTC Trouble Codes / Check Engine Lights with ease

Again, if this is the route you wish to go; contact CFM first and ask them questions directly about what they put on the flash tool.
Their ad/description is very vague and generic. Know what your buying before spending money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Its not as confusing as it seems :) I was really confused by it at first, but you learn along the way.

The 3 preloaded tunes, if you buy it from someone like Tom with Focus-Power or Randy at FSwerks, are actually already custom tunes. You do some datalogging, and they will update the tune as necessary, as needed by your car and the customizations you have done to it. I'm not sure what SF3 is, but the tuning platform of preference around here is the SCT Xcal3. Thats the way you want to go because its by far the most widely supported on this website (and other focus forums as well)

Is there anything in specific you're struggling with about these?

SF3 (Strategy Flash version 3) is an xCal III. It's one of the various models of the tool.
All the SCT products are popular with most any Ford tuner. Have been for many years. The III is simply popular now because the II is no longer made new.

My opinion, buy from Tom. His prices are very competitive, he's a guy full of know-how, has the best option for tune updates (free) and has been a large supporter of this site since it's inception.
For the extra ~$40, I see no reason not to ...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
notnsvth8er
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99858
What I Drive: 2003 silver focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 notnsvth8er Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
dude listen this tom guy knows his shit so just leave it to the proffesionals or youll drive yourself insane tryin to get these cars to run right lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks