2012 focus - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1975 View Post
I'll keep bringing it in until it's fixed..
Bless your heart.

I've just about given up on getting mine fixed under warranty. I really don't have the patience to keep going to dealers that don't fix my car or supply a rental. I might try my parents' dealership next time I go home since the Wisconsin ones seem to hate me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
matt1975
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105105
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 matt1975 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Bless your heart.

I've just about given up on getting mine fixed under warranty. I really don't have the patience to keep going to dealers that don't fix my car or supply a rental. I might try my parents' dealership next time I go home since the Wisconsin ones seem to hate me.
Thanks..

I went to the dealership today at 8:15 Am and after sitting there for 7 hours I was told "The transmission is breaking in, Nothing to worry about" then I asked how long it would take to "Break in" they said between 1,500 and 3,000 miles that's a pretty huge window considering my car only has 400 miles.

I think if you read between the lines that means "I really have no clue what is going on with your transmission but maybe if you ignore it it will go away." LOL

I think tomorrow I'll look around for another dealership there are quite a few around me maybe one of them will have a service department that can fix this issue.. I would really hate to have to go to an independent repair shop and pay a few hundred in not thousand to fix something that's covered in my warranty..
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Photogrl70
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105287
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Photogrl70 Good Standing Member
I too am having a transmission issue with my 2012 Focus. I purchased my car in May 2012 and as of today it's been in the shop twice. The first time I was told that it was in the breaking in stage and it will pass. Well now I have 11k miles and my car has been in the shop since last Thursday Oct 18th and was told today Oct 25th that we have a fault clutch as well as a defective valve in the transmission and they will have to keep it for at least another 5 days. I'm not happy about this but I will wait and see if the car is repaired correctly which I truly have my doubts. The funny part to all of this was the first day I took it there I was told we couldn't duplicate the hesitation or gear skipping that my car was clearly doing. As the service people are pulling my car in for me to take home my loving focus jumped forward and spazzed the hell out, with that being said I was told we will get you a rental car LOL. Long story short I don't feel safe in my car and u shouldn't either!! My car is at a shop in Maryland and was told from the service writer this is a isolated problem and they have not seen this before but logging on here made me see that it is not isolated nor is it just a couple of 2012 Focus issues it's a lot bigger then Ford knows or wants to admit to. Please keep on your service provider to make your car safe for u and your passengers.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Ford quality downgrade due to automatic

http://news.yahoo.com/ford-tumbles-a...--finance.html

Do your own diligence on the hundreds of posts here about this problem but I would ask you to consider a few questions.

1. Ford says the hesitation/stumbling problem is normal, why then does Consumer reports include it as a bad thing in its reviews?
2. Many other brands have this transmission, do they all have a similar problem? (my VW GTI did not)
3. when cold weather hit new england, 2/3 of my problem went away. If it is normal, why did it go away ?

If you like everything else about the car, like I do, you need to be tactfully persistent about this issue. Don't just take the party line from the dealer and go home. be willing to contact the Ford home office customer service.

And do your homework, once you have read the hundreds of other posts and if you have ever owned another brand like the VW GTI-same type transmission, then you are better equipped to continue seeking a resolution.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/ford-tumbles-a...--finance.html

Do your own diligence on the hundreds of posts here about this problem but I would ask you to consider a few questions.

1. Ford says the hesitation/stumbling problem is normal, why then does Consumer reports include it as a bad thing in its reviews?
2. Many other brands have this transmission, do they all have a similar problem? (my VW GTI did not)
3. when cold weather hit new england, 2/3 of my problem went away. If it is normal, why did it go away ?

If you like everything else about the car, like I do, you need to be tactfully persistent about this issue. Don't just take the party line from the dealer and go home. be willing to contact the Ford home office customer service.

And do your homework, once you have read the hundreds of other posts and if you have ever owned another brand like the VW GTI-same type transmission, then you are better equipped to continue seeking a resolution.
I've noticed the same thing with regard to ambient temperature. As the temps in MD have dropped to the 40s and 50s the grinding noise is pretty much gone. The first time I noticed it was last year during an indian summer.

Think ford is trying to gauge how much/little they need to do to fix this problem. There are certainly cases of broken seals causing clutch problems. does every DCT that shows wonky behavior have a bad seal? Maybe they can figure out how to give it an ultrasound.

It is interesting that more stories seem to be popping up on the forums about folks getting their clutches replaced.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks!

This is just a reminder that I'm always happy to look into ways I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey folks!

This is just a reminder that I'm always happy to look into ways I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Have a great day,
Crystal
Thanks Crystal, you did help me before but in the two weeks before I was due to go into the dealer, the weather here in new england turned much colder and the transmission shudder/hesitation problem was reduced by over 2/3 , making it what I WOULD call normal.

I would offer as food for thought: how could the shudder/hestitation possibly be normal if the advent of cold weather made it go away so much ?

If its normal it should continue.

Anyone else seeing any change in cold weather ?

ps I am a former vw gti owner and am very familiar with this type transmission.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

there are over 500 posts at this website about the 2012 automatic transmission problems

if you do a search for 2012 transmission problem here you'll find them.

no matter what the dealer or Ford tells you, it is NOT normal for this type of automatic to have a pronounced hestitation/shudder to the degree that your passengers ask what is wrong.

I owned a VW GTI with this type transmission and the hestitation/shudder was nowhere near this bad.

Mine got dramatically better when the new england weather turned colder. If it was normal, why would cold weather make it go away?

You need to read as many posts as you can and become your own advocate. Learn what TSB's have already been issued.

There are a few people where the transmission had to be taken out, seals replaced etc before the problem was finally rectified.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Me! And a few others on one of the gazillion DCT threads, if I do recall. Noises aren't as bad with the cold weather, but still an issue. I don't hear the acceleration rattle when I first start my car [on a cold morning] but in traffic on a hot summer day, they'd might as well call this car Whiplash.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks Crystal, you did help me before but in the two weeks before I was due to go into the dealer, the weather here in new england turned much colder and the transmission shudder/hesitation problem was reduced by over 2/3 , making it what I WOULD call normal.

I would offer as food for thought: how could the shudder/hestitation possibly be normal if the advent of cold weather made it go away so much ?

If its normal it should continue.

ps I am a former vw gti owner and am very familiar with this type transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Me! And a few others on one of the gazillion DCT threads, if I do recall. Noises aren't as bad with the cold weather, but still an issue. I don't hear the acceleration rattle when I first start my car [on a cold morning] but in traffic on a hot summer day, they'd might as well call this car Whiplash.
Hey folks,

Now that weather is getting colder just about everywhere, I'll keep an eye on this thread (and the others) to see how many people's transmission noises disappear. Please reach out to me over PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks