Headlight flicker - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Slowford
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101143
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Slowford Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Headlight flicker

So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter, if you will. It's completely random, and I can't recreate it. It sort of just happens once in a while.

Anyone have this or something similar happen to their car? I don't want to take it to the shop because I can't recreate it, but I'm not sure at all where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Is it possible that you're going over a small "bump" in the road that is causing the illusion that your headlights are flickering?

First place I'd check would be the wiring harness to make sure that it is properly seated into the headlight housing.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowford View Post
So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter, if you will. It's completely random, and I can't recreate it. It sort of just happens once in a while.

Anyone have this or something similar happen to their car? I don't want to take it to the shop because I can't recreate it, but I'm not sure at all where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?
i had a similar thing happen to me last summer.. once on a bumpy dirt road and another time on very smooth interstate...
driving along and all's well then all the lights flicker (outside the car and dash/mft lights) go out for a nano second, then go back on and all's well again.

Happened twice about 3 weeks apart then never again since July... very odd..

was unable to recreate the event (driving on a variety of roads, road surfaces and various speeds) and as it hasn't happened in four months im hoping it was some gremlin that has left the room lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowford View Post
So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i had a similar thing happen to me last summer.. once on a bumpy dirt road and another time on very smooth interstate...
driving along and all's well then all the lights flicker (outside the car and dash/mft lights) go out for a nano second, then go back on and all's well again...
Hi Slowford and cobie56,

I would have your Service Tech check this out the next time you're in for scheduled maintenance or an oil change. Ford certified techs are going to be your best bet when it comes to diagnosis. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Is it possible that you're going over a small "bump" in the road that is causing the illusion that your headlights are flickering?

First place I'd check would be the wiring harness to make sure that it is properly seated into the headlight housing.
Thanks for the good info, jdubhack!

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
It could be a bad connection somewhere along the wiring harness or the contacts bouncing inside of a relay; although I am not sure if the Focus has a relay for the headlights or not.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Slowford and cobie56,

I would have your Service Tech check this out the next time you're in for scheduled maintenance or an oil change. Ford certified techs are going to be your best bet when it comes to diagnosis. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks for the good info, jdubhack!

Have a great day,
Crystal
hi crystal.

i did , right away.. they said they never heard of this happening and didn't know what was causing it... the recommendation: wait and watch....
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
hi crystal.

i did , right away.. they said they never heard of this happening and didn't know what was causing it... the recommendation: wait and watch....
Wait and watch for what, the headlight(s) to go completely out? That could be dangerous under the right circumstances and costly if the police issue you a citation.

There's clearly a break in the circuit somewhere, it could even be the headlight itself. I'd get a second opinion if possible.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
hi crystal.

Hi cobie56,

You are always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Hmm, I have had that happen a couple times, too. Didn't realize it was happening to other folks. I'll bring it up the next time it goes in...
Old 11-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi cobie56,

You are always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Crystal
thnx, crystal... i do like my dealership.. i feel they've been great so far (despite the wait and see recommendation) and seem very competent. I'll give it some time, as it's not happen'd since the summer so maybe it was just a computer gremlin or something.. dunno.

Bookmarks & Social Networks