Would you buy a rental? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
From a place like hertz it enterprise, no way. I have rented cars from Toyota and I would consider it if the price was right. The people renting from their had vested interest to take care of the car and they throughly inspected it when you returned it.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I never understood why people believe people beat the crap out of rentals. Sure some do but the majority of people that rent cars are older middle aged business types. Not every 20 something is renting cars on a regular basis. I rent A LOT somewhere in the range of 30 times a year I think in my last 50 or so rentals I've had one that was complete crap. Every other car rode and drove as it should.

Having said that my 2004 focus was a Hertz rental I bought the car with 27,000ish miles. Now the car has 162,000 trouble free miles with regular maitience. So while most say no. Myself and others I know have had nothing but good luck with used rental cars.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 11-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo_zx3 View Post
I have been looking for an SEL or titanium. I found a certified pre owned 2012 SEL with 20 or 30K miles. They have it priced for 15K. It has leather and sync and I believe sunroof but no MFT. I really want the MFT but to save some costs I think I could opt for an aftermarket dash kit and nav if price was worth it. What do you guys think with it being a rental? I know it would have the 7 year 100K power train and another 12 months 12K miles bumper to bumper. I also know it was probably driven really hard. Just want led opinions. Thanks

This was supposed to be under the general post section please move if you can.
My last car was a rental...I didn't do the diligent research beforehand. Never again! The engine was solid, but it had electrical gremlins from the time the warranty ran out. The transmission started clunking around 150,000 miles, and I traded it soon after for the Focus.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
Kenpo_zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18282
What I Drive: 2010 Evolution GSR

FF Reputation: 1 Kenpo_zx3 Good Standing Member
Where the electrical problems because it was a rental or because it had 150K miles?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo_zx3 View Post
One other thing is that I can get a bumper to bumper type warranty for 60 months or 100K miles whichever hits first. No deductible for work. I didnt find this out until today. It's tough only because its so cheap!
If it's cheap, it might be worth it. If you're paying anywhere close to book value, than I would say no.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
I never understood why people believe people beat the crap out of rentals. Sure some do but the majority of people that rent cars are older middle aged business types. Not every 20 something is renting cars on a regular basis. I rent A LOT somewhere in the range of 30 times a year I think in my last 50 or so rentals I've had one that was complete crap. Every other car rode and drove as it should.

Having said that my 2004 focus was a Hertz rental I bought the car with 27,000ish miles. Now the car has 162,000 trouble free miles with regular maitience. So while most say no. Myself and others I know have had nothing but good luck with used rental cars.
Personal experience. The insurance you buy with the rental seems to absolve alot of people from guilt of abusing the car. I've seen people hit curbs, back into fire hydrants, hill hop, etc. I've also seen people bang shift the auto, force the car over redline, over load the car in weight and use the car to try to push another. Hell, I know a guy that rented a cavilier and autox'ed with it.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Kenpo_zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18282
What I Drive: 2010 Evolution GSR

FF Reputation: 1 Kenpo_zx3 Good Standing Member
Lol this puts so many bad thoughts in my head lol
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Personal experience. The insurance you buy with the rental seems to absolve alot of people from guilt of abusing the car. I've seen people hit curbs, back into fire hydrants, hill hop, etc. I've also seen people bang shift the auto, force the car over redline, over load the car in weight and use the car to try to push another. Hell, I know a guy that rented a cavilier and autox'ed with it.
but even still, that represents a very small percentage of the cars rented. Most people one put a few hundred miles on a rental car. For that one person I would be willing to bet there is at least 10-20 that dont abuse it. As far as insurance most dont require you to purchase the rental companies policy. I dont i used my own insurance with a rental which saves me money and makes me more responsible with the car. Most people do the same as me.

I would rather take the chance on a rental with a little abuse, than possibly getting the used car that the person has abused for the entire life of the car.

And rental car companies keep records on maintenance on the car. To find a used car on the lot with those kind of records, Slim to none.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
spider pig
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103688
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 spider pig Good Standing Member
I bought a 2012 Titanium hatch renntal with 40,000 km (Canada) that's about 31,000 miles. No problem so far, Really checked it out b4 I paid for it though. Tires were the only thing I will need, don't like OEM anyway. I like the MFT. I have heard some horror stories and keep a close eye on the machanics of the Focus. Be carfull for sure. The car came fron the Detroit market. Paid $14,000.00, saved about $4.500.00 That will pay for a few repairs tomorrow.....
Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
When my dad rents a car for business he drives like he would his normal car: quite aggressively. He usually gives it a hard run once or twice to get the grins on me and my bro, but beyond that it's just normal.

My old Fusion was a rental for the first 15k...

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->