speedo swap - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
locknut550
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100235
What I Drive: 2000 blue ford focus lx sohc

FF Reputation: 1 locknut550 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
speedo swap

I have a 2000 Ford Focus lx with the basic speedo cluster with no tach.I was wondering if it was possible to swap it with a cluster that has the tach. I bought this car not long ago I love it but I miss not having a tach.Also will a lens cover on a speedo cluster with no tach fit a cluster with a tach. There is a instrument cluster with a tach on Ebay for cheap but it has a crack in the lens cover.

Last edited by locknut550; 11-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
jlawlax1344
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99464
What I Drive: 2003-CD Silver-SPI-5spd

FF Reputation: 1 jlawlax1344 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The speedo swap is a simple plug and play, i did it in about 10 mins myself, same problem. The lens has to be one with a tach as part of the bezel is built into the lens. The mileage will take whatever the new cluster has unless you pay close to 100 to have it saved off the old and onto the new one. IF you need help with it message me on here and i can walk you through it, and i can help you reset the guages (ive only had to reset mine like 8 times!!!)
2 12" rockford fosgate subs,1500w Hifonics amp, throttle spacer, performance chip, FSWerks 2.5" race exhaust, custom CAI w/Spectre 10.5x6 filter Blue leds all around pulsating in the trunk, smoked taillights and turn signals
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
How cheap is cheap, there are lots of them in scrap yards. I'd check your local yards before buying on Ebay just because shipping is a killer on something that shape and size. The yards here generally charge about $25 for a cluster out of an older focus. I'd offer to get you one, but ours are in KM/Hr, the MPH is very hard to read.

There are also 3 different clusters you can get
one with normal black face,

the SVT which is white faced

or there is another greyish faced one I have seen, it looks like it might be translucent.

Here's link to a how to on changing the gauge faces, but you can use it to figure out removing and install the full cluster (just don't use the part where you open the cluster)

Edit: might be handy if I actually include the link, LOL

LINK here
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawlax1344 View Post
The speedo swap is a simple plug and play, i did it in about 10 mins myself, same problem. The lens has to be one with a tach as part of the bezel is built into the lens. The mileage will take whatever the new cluster has unless you pay close to 100 to have it saved off the old and onto the new one. IF you need help with it message me on here and i can walk you through it, and i can help you reset the guages (ive only had to reset mine like 8 times!!!)
Before you plan on getting the milage off your old cluster, contact your Ford dealer. When I did this, none of the stealers would re-flash my milage unless I purchased the cluster through them. So I bought a junker a little over my milage, waited impatiently until they were pretty close, then swapped them out. The swap was just as easy as described.

Of course, this was years ago, so it may be different now.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
Heck I wanna do this to my wagon. I hate not having a tach. My olds has a tach lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
do it! it's cheap and easy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks