Way to go Ford.... - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #51
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalox View Post
Every industry review of these cars that I read prior to purchase said quite clearly that the Focus is a great car, save for two (optional)things; MyFord Touch, and the "automatic" trans. That said, the "automatic" isn't nearly as bad as it's made out to be. It does drive differently than a typical automatic(because it's really a clutchless manual), so you have to drive the car accordingly. Once you learn it's habits(and it breaks in a bit), it's actually pretty good.

Where Ford may have erred was in offering this transmission on an entry-level car. They probably should have left the technology for something a little higher up the model lineup, like the Fusion, and offered a "normal" automatic in the Focus. I have driven both the 5-speed Focus and the "automatic" extensively, and I can say that my only real complaint about the 2-pedal setup is that it is not available with a proper paddle shift setup for manual shift control, ala VW's DSG. The "hill descent" button on the SE models is pretty useless, as you can't use it in conjunction with the brake pedal without shifting the car down too many gears and sending the RPMs into an uncomfortable place for a long hill descent. However, this is a programming issue that should be easy for Ford to rectify.

That said, the gear ratios and final drive are better suited to the engine's powerband than the 5-speed manual, which is definitely geared towards economy.

So Ford, if you're listening: Full manual control with flappy paddles on the steering wheel, and proper sequential shift option on the gear lever. Cheers.
why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #52
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
why?
This person doesn't realize how prevalent DCTs now are.

The Veloster comes with one.

VW has always offered one.

Its just natural progression.

And maybe its just the DCT that we got, or maybe its just the good old American consumer, but people in other parts of the world have been blessed with Powershifts for more then a few years now and there aren't horror stories from them.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #53
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
I subscribe to Consumer Reports and let's just say I take their ratings with a very large grain of salt.

After reading this thread, I decided to take a good look at CR's review, along with all the user reviews too.

The users seem to mirror what we read here in this forum. MFT and DCT problems mostly. People angry over problems and dealer responses.

But there were many favorable reviews from owners like me who really like the Focus.

The full CR review reflects this too.

In fact, they rave about how well the Focus handles, how refined the car is, and overall give the car very high marks.

But all this hoopla is about is the reliability ratings.

Out of 17 reliability rating categories, only one was average (squeaks & rattles). 10 were rated 5 out of 5 (best possible), and 4 were rated 4 out of 5.
If we stop here, the Focus is way above average in reliability.

But then there are two "much worse than average" (1 out of 5) ratings for "transmission minor" and "audio".

So even though "transmission major" was in the best 5 out of 5 group, these two are responsible for the "much worse than average" final overall rating, and blackballing the Focus.

Are they saying audio and minor transmission problems are more frustrating to live with?

So to sum up, the Consumer Reports actually rates the Focus above average on 14 out of 17 categories, 10 of them the best ranking possible.

But they trash the Focus (and Ford) over 2 "worst" ratings.

I'm off now (in my Focus) to get more salt.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #54
Revelations
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101027
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus - sterling gray

FF Reputation: 1 Revelations Good Standing Member
I never trust CR. When they list the amount of problems that are reported, they don't weight them. What that means is that if your headlight dies, that one problem, but if the engine on a different car dies, that's also one problem.

So when you look at the numbers, you'll see each car had one problem. What you don't know is that one was a headlight out, the other was a dead engine.

Also CR hates MFT, and I feel it's because they don't take the time to learn how to use, either because they can't, or because they simply don't care.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #55
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
why?
The technology isn't the issue, the end user is. Let's remember that this is an entry-level vehicle. I'm simply suggesting that this market demographic is maybe not best served by this advanced technology. They aren't familiar with the way it works, and may consider normal operating "quirks" to be problems instead. And they aren't really going reap the benefits of it in the first place. As an example: The Volkswagen Golf/GTI and Jetta/GLI. The non-turbo gasoline cars use a conventional automatic, while the turbocharged and diesel cars use a DCT. Why? The non-turbo cars won't make the most of it, and it increases complexity, and purchase and maintenance costs over a traditional automatic.

So for Ford, The DCT may have been better left for just the higher end of the Focus range, even just the Titanium. And the rest of the range(used as fleet vehicles and by non-enthusiast drivers), should have used a conventional automatic. I understand that there are other benefits of the DCT outside of the enhanced performance, but are they worth the cost of the reduced reliability(perceived or not)?

The problem here is that Ford bunted on this; they used a DCT instead of a traditional automatic, but they didn't offer it with a proper shifting mechanism or associated programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
This person doesn't realize how prevalent DCTs now are.
I work in the auto industry, and I can assure you I know how prevalent they are.

Quote:
...or maybe its just the good old American consumer...
Bingo.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
My thoughts exactly...I am so fed up with having to chase people around and jump through hoops to get my issues resolved.
Now they want to install a recorder in my car, that will only record when I press the button. Imagine this...my car slips into neutral while driving on the freeway in morning traffic. I am now faced with having to somehow get off to the side without incident and at the same time press a stupid button to record events.
I know and Ford knows that there will be no error codes. If there were, it would have happened on the 2 occasions that my car did this already, with the on-board computer.

This is nothing more than a stall tactic. Given that it only happened twice so far, in 18000 miles, how long are they going to leave this box in my car.

I am done with all this Customer Service BS. While the reps on this forum seem to have the ability to escalate our cases, that's where it ends. I am still driving in a DANGEROUS CAR, and no one at Ford seems to get this.

At this point I will be filing with the NSTSA and BBB...because if something happens to me while driving this car, I want it on record that I made multiple attempts to get it fixed.
Yup. I'm right there with you guys. I have been having issues with my cars (I had two 2012 FF's) for one year now and went tru 4 CSR's and the only thing I had ''done'' was the right strut replaced and 12B37. Oh Ford tried to glue back my roof liner but it came unstuck again right after. I wrote to my ''actual'' CSR last week and did not get any response from him. My ''perfectly fine Focus'' is now plagued with about 10 issues and Ford, the CSR's and the dealerships are playing me like a ping pong.

Well, no more. As from monday November 5th, I will turn to http://www.camvap.ca/ and the medias. I have no clue were this will get me but I have to do something, anything, this cannot go on like this. The car I have purchase is a Lemon and I have the proof to demonstate it. This will be my first dealing with CAMVAP. I'll keep you guys posted about it. As for the Medias...I won't spill my beans here.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #57
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
Yup. I'm right there with you guys. I have been having issues with my cars (I had two 2012 FF's) for one year now and went tru 4 CSR's and the only thing I had ''done'' was the right strut replaced and 12B37. Oh Ford tried to glue back my roof liner but it came unstuck again right after. I wrote to my ''actual'' CSR last week and did not get any response from him. My ''perfectly fine Focus'' is now plagued with about 10 issues and Ford, the CSR's and the dealerships are playing me like a ping pong.

Well, no more. As from monday November 5th, I will turn to http://www.camvap.ca/ and the medias. I have no clue were this will get me but I have to do something, anything, this cannot go on like this. The car I have purchase is a Lemon and I have the proof to demonstate it. This will be my first dealing with CAMVAP. I'll keep you guys posted about it. As for the Medias...I won't spill my beans here.
Good luck with arbitration. By medias do you mean print and TV?? If so it would have to be a pretty slow news day for them to be interested in such a thing.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #58
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorZ View Post
Good luck with arbitration. By medias do you mean print and TV?? If so it would have to be a pretty slow news day for them to be interested in such a thing.
Haha this exactly.

And as not a lawyer, I suggest this guy start removing posts if he really wants arbitration.

Also, I wouldn't run this story unless it came with a couple grand in incentives or more.

Across all forums I engage in, this one included, everyone seems to think their car is the worst and its a piece of shit and that the automaker sucks and FFS that mentality is annoying.

I mean some of the posts here surpass vwvortex levels of insanity. And that is saying something.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #59
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Haha this exactly.

And as not a lawyer, I suggest this guy start removing posts if he really wants arbitration.

Also, I wouldn't run this story unless it came with a couple grand in incentives or more.

Across all forums I engage in, this one included, everyone seems to think their car is the worst and its a piece of shit and that the automaker sucks and FFS that mentality is annoying.

I mean some of the posts here surpass vwvortex levels of insanity. And that is saying something.
I suspect that many of our Focuses rate their owners "unsatisfactory"!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #60
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
I suspect that many of our Focuses rate their owners "unsatisfactory"!
If cars could talk I do wonder what some people's Foci would say...
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->