Remote Start and "Open Door Shut Off" - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #91
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard35 View Post
FWIW.....I have figured out with my Titanium with remote start that if I have started the car, with the remote starter, all I have to do for the car "NOT" to shut off is to open the car by using the unlock button on the keyless entry key fob. So long as I do that, the car will remain on even when I open the door. If I try to use the intelligent access opening of the car door (touch one of the door handles and then open the door) then the car will shut off.
I seem to remember doing the same thing the first time I used the remote start on my car. I then used the intelligent access to open the door each time after and couldn't figure out why the car shutoff. Your post reminded me that I wasn't going nuts and I must have unlocked with the fob. However, I do remember hitting the brake and the car shutting off. What's the trick to keep it running once you are ready to drive away? Push start without brake?

Edit: I just confirmed my car shuts off no matter how I try to enter when its started via remote. I didn't receive any documentation but have found the module behind the glove box. Does it have switches in there somewhere to change options?

Edit 2: I wish I had the last 30 minutes of my life back. Attempted reprogramming to disable horn and engine cutoff when opening doors. I could enter programming and cycle through the banks but I couldn't get it to do anything else. I then remembered reading you're supposed to toggle the option using the fob. I was using the button to select banks. I now have my 12 Ti remote starting with no horn and I can get in it and drive off without the engine cutting off. The only feature that no longer works is the remote cutoff.

Last edited by peridigm; 11-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #92
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
FWIW.....I have figured out with my Titanium with remote start that if I have started the car, with the remote starter, all I have to do for the car "NOT" to shut off is to open the car by using the unlock button on the keyless entry key fob. So long as I do that, the car will remain on even when I open the door. If I try to use the intelligent access opening of the car door (touch one of the door handles and then open the door) then the car will shut off.
Whoah - if this works on mine you're my new hero.

The tech that installed mine buried the box/button so far behind the glovebox that I can't access mine without removing the whole damn thing.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #93
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
I reprogrammed mine as per Yamazama's instructions and it works great.
Only caveat is that someone can break into your car while it's running and drive off with it.
I presume it will shut off after 15 minutes though, preventing the would be thief from going too far.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #94
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
Found the program button on the drivers side right where the OBDII connector is. That's a nice location for it. The trouble is I cannot get into program mode using the nice instructions provided in this thread. I don't have the titanium so it is just the regular key start. Do you have to keep holding down the brake during the whole process? There wasn't any mention of when to release the brake. It just says to press and hold.

Pressing and holding the program button does absolutely nothing. My button is definitely larger than a pencil eraser and is black in color. The only button that does anything is the remote button on the fob.

I have the unidirectional type remote start and have been using it for a year now without any issues but now I want to turn off the saftey feature so the darn things stays on when the door is opened.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #95
completely_focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86510
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 completely_focused Good Standing Member
It works!

OK, not sure why I couldn't get in programing mode on the first and second attempt but the third time was a charm. BTW I love where my installer put the programing button (attached to the wiring harness of the OBDII connector). I can see the red LED glow just by looking in the space behind the OBDII connector. Everything works now except I would have prefered to keep the two normal beeps when I remote start it so I can tell if it started or not.

Someone said that your car can be stolen if you remote start with the car unlocked and that may be true but any car can be stolen if they want it bad enough. When I get in after remote starting I have to put the key into the ignition prior to hitting the brake pedal or the thing shuts off. Locking the doors and having the brake shutoff is good enough for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #96
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixNay View Post
Hello,

I hope I am not beating a dead horse here by bringing this topic back alive after several months, but i have an issue.

I have a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with Push Button Start with a Ford remote starter installed. I have been through this topic several times reading what people have tried and I have printed out suggestions with no success. Basically, I have the same issue as others regarding starting the car via remote then opening the door and the car shuts off.

I located the remote start module and push button up and behind the passenger side glove box. When I press the button and hold it for 10 seconds nothing happens, no horn chirping (While the car is running). I did notice that when I press the button and hold or if I just press and release the button that a red LED light flashes 3 times.

Am I currently missing something?

I do have an active "MyKey" which I have tried to reset to the default Non-Active, but it will not reset. The manual states that if I go to "Settings" then to my key and hold the down-arrow button it will reset. Mine scrolls to the mykey miles then back to the mykey active message without resetting. My remote start is the uni-directional I believe.

If you have any ideas suggestions I would appreciate it

Thanks
Did you hold the brake while pressing the button?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #97
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Didn't work for me. The engine shuts off as soon as I press the unlock button
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #98
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey folks!

Those of you who are having difficulty with your remote start/keyless entry systems should swing by your dealerships. Ford certified techs are specially trained to help solve puzzlers like these. Questions? Concerns? Shoot me a PM and I'll do some investigating for you.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #99
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Didn't work for me. The engine shuts off as soon as I press the unlock button
You need to reprogram it as per the aforementioned procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #100
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
You need to reprogram it as per the aforementioned procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I don't want to do it because I'd lose the bi-directional function. Blizzard35's point is WITHOUT reprogramming (set Tachless=OFF), he can avoid the engine from shutting off by opening the door with the key fob. That didn't work for me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks