Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #51
mthurman
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95189
Location: Atlanta, GA
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 mthurman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, so if I get what you are saying...if it is only oil (what the dealershop is saying) then the clutches probably don't need to be replaced. They would see if anything is damaged when they open it up...or should I push for them to be replaced now. Sorry for all the questions but I bought a new car hoping it would be reliable. Love the car but I would like this to be taken care of right the first ime.

Thanks,

Matt
mthurman is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #52
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94835
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

Posts: 360
FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman View Post
Ok, so if I get what you are saying...if it is only oil (what the dealershop is saying) then the clutches probably don't need to be replaced. They would see if anything is damaged when they open it up...or should I push for them to be replaced now. Sorry for all the questions but I bought a new car hoping it would be reliable. Love the car but I would like this to be taken care of right the first ime.

Thanks,

Matt
If oil has leaked into the bell housing (which the dealer has admitted that it has, and you can see that in the pictures ), then the clutches have definitely become contaminated with oil and need to be replaced. TSB 11-12-13 talks about replacing the seals AND the clutches, I would press your dealer to do the job properly.
__________________
2012 Focus SEL 5 door 303a w/Lux pkg in KonaBlue
2012 Escape Limited w/park assist
2010 F150 Supercrew XTR 5.4 4x4
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
pozi240 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #53
sterg
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86158
Location: Hopedale, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

Posts: 212
FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is this for the automatic transmission only? I have the 5 speed and I lose oil. I should have a look underneath. I'v never seen any oil in the driveway.
__________________
Steve
2012 Kona Blue SE 5 speed sedan
Sport and Winter package
Moonroof
sterg is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #54
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,691
Points 9,723, Level 66
Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterg View Post
Is this for the automatic transmission only? I have the 5 speed and I lose oil. I should have a look underneath. I'v never seen any oil in the driveway.
The TSB 11-12-13 is specifically for the "automatic" dual clutch transmission as this is the only one that allegedly had this issue commonly enough to require a technical service bulletin. Are you losing engine oil? If so from where? Is the engine consuming the oil (burning it), leaking it?

The tsb mentioned is referring to an internal transmission seal leaking which leads to an external transmission fluid leak, this fluid leak allows fluid to contaminate the clutch pack destroying it.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #55
sterg
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86158
Location: Hopedale, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Focuse SE Kona blue

Posts: 212
FF Reputation: 1 sterg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The TSB 11-12-13 is specifically for the "automatic" dual clutch transmission as this is the only one that allegedly had this issue commonly enough to require a technical service bulletin. Are you losing engine oil? If so from where? Is the engine consuming the oil (burning it), leaking it?

The tsb mentioned is referring to an internal transmission seal leaking which leads to an external transmission fluid leak, this fluid leak allows fluid to contaminate the clutch pack destroying it.
I think the engine is consuming it. Nothing coming out of the exhaust. I'm losing between 1/2 to 1 quart between changes. The service advisore says 1 quart every 1000 miles is considered within specs.
__________________
Steve
2012 Kona Blue SE 5 speed sedan
Sport and Winter package
Moonroof
sterg is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterg View Post
I think the engine is consuming it. Nothing coming out of the exhaust. I'm losing between 1/2 to 1 quart between changes. The service advisore says 1 quart every 1000 miles is considered within specs.
Well then ask them how it makes sense with the 10k oil change that's recommended in the manual.

If the car takes 4.75qt, you lose 1qt for every 1,000 miles driven, and the oil should be changed every 10k miles...then they expect you to be at negative 5.25qt when doing an oil change?

Or do they expect us to drop a bit more fresh oil in every month or two?
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #57
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,691
Points 9,723, Level 66
Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66 Points: 9,723, Level: 66
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Well then ask them how it makes sense with the 10k oil change that's recommended in the manual.

If the car takes 4.75qt, you lose 1qt for every 1,000 miles driven, and the oil should be changed every 10k miles...then they expect you to be at negative 5.25qt when doing an oil change?

Or do they expect us to drop a bit more fresh oil in every month or two?
The second one, they expect people to check and top off their fluids, which is mostly wishful thinking given how little most people know or check under the hood until it breaks.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #58
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,854
Points 7,615, Level 58
Points: 7,615, Level: 58 Points: 7,615, Level: 58 Points: 7,615, Level: 58
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
EDIT - nvm...
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #59
mthurman
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95189
Location: Atlanta, GA
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 mthurman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dropped my car off at the dealership to replace the rear main seal. Should have it back in a few days.
mthurman is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #60
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79824
Location: Dearborn, MI
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Posts: 4,471
Points 3,230, Level 35
Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman View Post
Dropped my car off at the dealership to replace the rear main seal. Should have it back in a few days.
Hey mthurman,

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted on how the diagnosis/repair process goes. I'm always happy to jump in and see what I can do to help. Just send me a PM and I'll get to work.

Have a great day,
Crystal
__________________
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
FordService is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Cadillac ATS-V, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.