Snorkel Delete - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #111
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
It will be difficult to tell this time of year as winter is approaching; they are changing the fuel blends and we let our cars sit longer idling to warm up.
My mileage is already dropping this tank. I hate winter blend. It prolly costs the refineries less to make, but they won't sell it for less
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #112
bssybeep
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87864
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bssybeep Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How did you guys remove this piece? I see the two clips. Did you compress them with plyers?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

Sorry for stealing your image jdubhack I just wanted to clarify..
Is this the flap that gets cuts? Can't this top part just the remove apart from the bottom??

Anyone have a link to the newmission mod I want to see what everyone is talking about but can't find it using the search.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #113
ducati20
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105190
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ducati20 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Performance gains have only been shown on the dyno with the combination of the snorkel delete and the replacement filter. That is only hp/tq measurements, though, I cannot confirm or deny real world performance (mpg's, drive-ability) outside of the combination.

Edit: Actually, I can say that drive-ability is improved with the drop-in and no snorkel-delete. I can't confirm the snorkel delete with the OEM filter, though, as mine went circular file a few days after I purchased my Ti.
So I might be able to add to this...
I did the snorkel delete and full flap removal, left the OEM filter intact for 3 tanks of gas (2 87 and 1 91). Gas mileage remained within 2 mpg of my norm, which is 30 mpg almost all city (variability came from my foot being heavier one day than another... lol). Low down throttle response remains poor (expected), but above 3K rpm the car felt a little more responsive on 87 and 91 respectively. I pulled the flap entirely to leave it intact if I choose to return to stock, noted no temp change on the coolant (just gauge watching) and did not note the cooling fan running more than normal, which tells me it's making little to no difference in airflow to the radiator (as expected).
I have ordered the K&N drop in and will run a couple of tanks through that as comparison. I really just want to solve low end response more than anything, and it looks like the drop in will help with that.
I am considering the newmission mod or a variation of that mod as I'm not convinced I will see a "ram-air" effect at low speeds and might just route the additional air from somewhere else (definately noted the massively restricted flow in the stock setup). I see the benefit of the mod, just might go a differant way.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #114
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,377, Level 95
Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati20 View Post
So I might be able to add to this...
I did the snorkel delete and full flap removal, left the OEM filter intact for 3 tanks of gas (2 87 and 1 91). Gas mileage remained within 2 mpg of my norm, which is 30 mpg almost all city (variability came from my foot being heavier one day than another... lol). Low down throttle response remains poor (expected), but above 3K rpm the car felt a little more responsive on 87 and 91 respectively. I pulled the flap entirely to leave it intact if I choose to return to stock, noted no temp change on the coolant (just gauge watching) and did not note the cooling fan running more than normal, which tells me it's making little to no difference in airflow to the radiator (as expected).
I have ordered the K&N drop in and will run a couple of tanks through that as comparison. I really just want to solve low end response more than anything, and it looks like the drop in will help with that.
I am considering the newmission mod or a variation of that mod as I'm not convinced I will see a "ram-air" effect at low speeds and might just route the additional air from somewhere else (definately noted the massively restricted flow in the stock setup). I see the benefit of the mod, just might go a differant way.
You will definitely notice a better throttle response with the K&N. The initial lag will disappear and response will feel much more cleaner and linear. Some placebo, but driveability is greatly improved.

Before doing the Newmission or a variant, take into consideration your average trip. My car is a work commuter, and my commute is mainly in-town/rural. I saw an average loss of 3-4 mpg with the Newmission and my scoop. That being said, others that have mainly highway commuting report seeing good gains, and the one extended highway trip that I took also supported that.

For my driving and current setup, this intake setup has shown to be the best all around. I literally ordered a new airbox (entire box w/maf sensor and OEM filter for abt $120 through Steve at Tousley, and the only way you can get the lower half of the airbox) to de-Newmission completely. That being said, I am going to revisit the Newmission mod once I build my custom exhaust to retest on that setup

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing your results
2014 FiST-
Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #115
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
Any theories about why the newmission mod would hurt performance in the city? Seems like more cool airflow would be a good thing but I hesitate to cut open my airbox when some are reporting no gains or worse.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #116
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,377, Level 95
Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95 Points: 24,377, Level: 95
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suterp View Post
Any theories about why the newmission mod would hurt performance in the city? Seems like more cool airflow would be a good thing but I hesitate to cut open my airbox when some are reporting no gains or worse.
I wish I could say I knew, but unfortunately I don't. I only have two thoughts on it-

A. The direction of the forced airflow causing turbulence in/at the filter. By this I mean that, at low speeds, the air is causing turbulence directly in front of the MAF sensor, causing confusing inputs for fuel injection. I have contemplated building a shroud to divert the air around the filter as opposed to directly at it to see if this is it/helps, but haven't because BUSY/LAZY. I think that this is only causing the low speed issues because at some unknown (by me) speed there is enough air being forced into the intake to overcome the engines air intake requirement, in turn creating a mild boosted (in the box) condition in which the air is readily introduced past the MAF sensor smoothly. In my head, this explains the loss at lower speed and increase at higher speed.

B. It isn't uncommon for vehicles to see an mpg reduction after the installation of an aftermarket intake due to the car being programmed based on a stock intake. The additional fuel has difficulty exiting a stock exhaust, and all of the dynos on OEM exhaust have shown that the exhaust is very near max flow capacity straight from the factory. This is why the majority of mpg seekers go straight to the exhaust, as gains are almost always seen immediately on them, even with a stock intake.

This is really all I can think of based on my knowledge/experience base...
2014 FiST-
Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #117
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Quote:
I have contemplated building a shroud to divert the air around the filter as opposed to directly at it to see if this is it/helps, but haven't because BUSY/LAZY.
I'll be doing that for my newmission tube.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #118
ducati20
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105190
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ducati20 Good Standing Member
Quote:
You will definitely notice a better throttle response with the K&N. The initial lag will disappear and response will feel much more cleaner and linear. Some placebo, but driveability is greatly improved.

Before doing the Newmission or a variant, take into consideration your average trip. My car is a work commuter, and my commute is mainly in-town/rural. I saw an average loss of 3-4 mpg with the Newmission and my scoop. That being said, others that have mainly highway commuting report seeing good gains, and the one extended highway trip that I took also supported that.

For my driving and current setup, this intake setup has shown to be the best all around. I literally ordered a new airbox (entire box w/maf sensor and OEM filter for abt $120 through Steve at Tousley, and the only way you can get the lower half of the airbox) to de-Newmission completely. That being said, I am going to revisit the Newmission mod once I build my custom exhaust to retest on that setup

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing your results
I'm not super concerned about gas mileage, I'm coming from a heavily modified Mustang that got 17 mpg city and 21 highway... (CAI, new rear end, headers, racing tune, lowered..). Whatever the focus gets is gonna be better!! I do have a lot of plans, but going slow and researching a lot since this is my first 4 banger that I felt was worth modifying...
I almost bought an ST, but my SEL was just too good of a deal to pass up on!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #119
Angelsdeath
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91165
What I Drive: 2012, Sterling Grey Metallic, SE

FF Reputation: 1 Angelsdeath Good Standing Member
Ok, so here's a video I took. Just for the sound really. I'm accelerating down an on ramp to get on the interstate. I have a K&N air filter in the stock housing with the cover left off. I also did the snorkel delete. Took maybe 5-10 minutes with a flat head screwdriver. I was holding the camera just in front of the steering wheel and all of the windows were rolled up. Sounds pretty good to me. Once I get my tax returns for this year I think I'm going to get the FSWERKS stealth exhaust. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JP_IJCPE4&feature=plcp
Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #120
tonics
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102336
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 1.6 182ps

Points 52, Level 1
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 tonics Good Standing Member
I have the kn drop in filter at last i ve the opportunity to check it out on dyno;putting the snorkel out definitively decrease hp ,FYI.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.