Broken Door Handle Latch Assembly - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
bbradUSMC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103960
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4 ST; Standard

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bbradUSMC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Broken Door Handle Latch Assembly

The lever that the door handle pulls on that pushes down on the rod broke. I think it is cast aluminum or something similar. Nothing seems to want to bond to it for a temporary repair, like JB weld or that quick steel stuff. Anyone have one of these lying around that can send it my why or know somewhere that I can pick it up without having to buy the entire kit for $180 from ford?

Right now I just have the rod hanging out of my door so I can open it and it looks pretty shitty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Sithmorg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99246
What I Drive: 2008, blue, focus PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 Sithmorg Good Standing Member
Hey I had the same thing happen. I think the part you are going to need is called the Door Handle Reinforecement. It should cost $60 or less. A good place to look is www.fordparts.com. They have decent prices and diagrams that can help you identify the exact part number you are looking for. Then you can search the part numer online and look for better prices. I ended up getting this part from the dealer for a couple of dollars cheaper than I could find it online when shipping was factored. Just fyi. On this repair I needed a very low profile torx ratchet as the window hung down over the torx bolt on the door handle reinforcement. I got one at advanced auto parts. If you dont have one or dont want to buy one I was able to make it work by using a torx bit and a small monkey wrench. But after I completed the repair I realized that I forgot to put the lock cylindar in the new reinfircement. So rather than go through that again I went and got the tool.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
bbradUSMC
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103960
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX4 ST; Standard

Points 124, Level 2
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bbradUSMC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithmorg View Post
Hey I had the same thing happen. I think the part you are going to need is called the Door Handle Reinforecement. It should cost $60 or less. A good place to look is www.fordparts.com. They have decent prices and diagrams that can help you identify the exact part number you are looking for. Then you can search the part numer online and look for better prices. I ended up getting this part from the dealer for a couple of dollars cheaper than I could find it online when shipping was factored. Just fyi. On this repair I needed a very low profile torx ratchet as the window hung down over the torx bolt on the door handle reinforcement. I got one at advanced auto parts. If you dont have one or dont want to buy one I was able to make it work by using a torx bit and a small monkey wrench. But after I completed the repair I realized that I forgot to put the lock cylindar in the new reinfircement. So rather than go through that again I went and got the tool.
Thanks for the help. I actually found a guy parting out a focus on island so I am going to go steal that and a couple other parts for about $80. Luckily I own a Jeep so I have plenty of torx bits lol. I already pulled the latch mechinism out and just have the door latch rod sticking out of the door haha. Not a pretty sight but at least i dont have to go through the rear door to get in any more. and you are right the thing is a pain in the but to take off and put back together.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,527, Level 57
Points: 7,527, Level: 57 Points: 7,527, Level: 57 Points: 7,527, Level: 57
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Moved to “MK1 Focus”

Not a DURATEC Performance specific post, more general MK1 talk.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.