Dry Sump worth it? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a 2000 ford shop manuel, it says "Speed limitation" is at 7100 rpm...

If I could rev to 7400rpm without having trouble with oil pump, what could I rev if I used an aftermarket pump that could take more revs? And what is the next weak link?

I'm not really looking to do so only curious...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #32
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Even with the billet gears I wouldnt go past 77-7800

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #33
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
A Tom has said with the only after market oil pump available for our car the billet gears your still only to 7,700 to 7,800 RPM.

The Oil pump is still the "main" thing, however you start getting valve floating if you don't have upgraded valve springs.

Also their is not much point because even with built motors the Zetec, while it likes high revs, does not do much above 7k. it like the 5k to 6.5k, and takes a fair amount of work to make it make power longer. Either through turbo or some, IMHO, radical NA modifications.

The reason why I was looking for a "better" pump was not to take it over 7,400 RPM but so when I take it to the track and I downshift a little to soon and I peg and or hold it at the 7,400 RPM for a few seconds. Its mostly an insurance option.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #34
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Hmm, thanks... It sounds nice to have that there for an insurance option... I'd imagine an engine moving that fast would need bigger intake valves/forced induction to make any power there...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I do 8K on the CFM gear.
But bear in mind this isn't sustained RPM, just a very short burst.

And this high RPM most talk about, most of you aren't making any power up there anyways. So it's kinda irrelevant. Curious is fine and all, but you have to know that a stock engine/head isn't going to make power past 5.5K too well. You'll need a good head and cams to make power past that point and need the extra RPM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Folis Jones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116500
What I Drive: 2000 Birkin Zetec Racing car

FF Reputation: 1 Folis Jones Good Standing Member
What dictates if you should have a dry sump?

I have a full race Zetec, 230 hp at the flywheel. We turn 8000+ on the track and found a stock pump will disintegrate and this is no urban legend.

A dry sump kit is not cheap! We have over $3000 in the installation we are currently working on, it is specific for the Zetec and not a "generic" one. The generic ones are a nightmare and do not fit real well. If you are turning over 7000 rpm you must dry sump or risk, as we did, a total melt down due to oil pump failure. The CFM gears are no longer available from any one so you have no choice if you are turning high rpm's. Believe me, I have researched this thoroughly. I have a Lotus Seven replica that routinely eats up Corvettes and Porches, except the full race ones. But it takes 8000+ rpm in fifth gear to do it. I have a Quaife sequential gearbox.

Any questions feel free to email me off line.

Cheers,

Folis
Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
Folis Jones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116500
What I Drive: 2000 Birkin Zetec Racing car

FF Reputation: 1 Folis Jones Good Standing Member
I agree completely. We used to use the CFM gears and never had a problem. In fact I still have a set. I have a Massive Speed System "ultimate Head" with Crower stage 2 cams, Eagle rods, and SuperTech pistons. Yes, you need the head and other stuff to make power at high rpm's. Not to mention you need a dyno and a good tuner.
To get power you need cubic dollars, as the hot rodders used to say......

Folis
Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #38
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I myself wonder just how much chatter goes on with the outside oil pump housing not supporting the outer rotor for about 1/3 OD. Other pumps with same type rotors can run over 10,000 rpm and no trouble there. If inside rotor bangs around in play and makes outside do the same, could easily dig in to shatter parts in the looseness because part of OD is missing. An extra clearance as well to add to trouble since inner rotor must slide on crank. Most other pumps are pressed on shaft there, or 30% less looseness. Pump also discharges the bypass amount directly into feed, which is totally wrong to me, it distorts flow pattern doing that and by doing so would make cavitation easier. Add the cover plate which can leak air in at higher rpm and problems there. Seen it before on other engines. I might look to radius the edge where outer rotor drops off if sharp cut there to kill any dig-in edge. I would also be sealing plate to pump with gasket sealer of some sort.

Bookmarks & Social Networks