Useless TPMS? - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #91
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
Looking at the NHTSA there seems to be conflicting info. One spot it states that the system should indicate when any tire including all four drops 25%. In another spot on the site it seems to be referencing a table that states 20 psi is the safety floor.
The federal safety standard uses both in an overall determination. Whichever value is higher is what is applied to the vehicle.

The lowest placard for any car at the time of the ruling was 26psi.

26psi x 75% ~ 20psi. Hence no vehicle following the 25% rule should ever fall below the 20psi safety floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #92
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
The federal safety standard uses both in an overall determination. Whichever value is higher is what is applied to the vehicle.

The lowest placard for any car at the time of the ruling was 26psi.

26psi x 75% ~ 20psi. Hence no vehicle following the 25% rule should ever fall below the 20psi safety floor.
Thank for the clarification. I have an appointment at the dealer on monday , hopefully they don't dismiss the issue.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #93
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
Silly the thread was merged but whatever.

Well I'm up to 1500 miles on my winter tires/wheels. Had sensors included on from tire rack and have yet to had to reprogram. Still no warning light. I park 40 yards from where my summer wheels are stored. Pretty sold on the fact new sensors auto program.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #94
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Well, I'm 7 days in and still hearing the warning tone and seeing the dash lights every startup. I park a little further than 40 yards from my summers but not much further. I'm taking it in tomorrow. I'll talk to the tech and see exactly what he had to do and talk to the service manager to see how much he knows about these. I'll report back if I find out anything interesting either way.

Who knows, maybe it is an issue of manufacturer and that is why some seem to auto-trigger and some do not (mine came from Tire Rack but I don't know the manufacturer). Either way, hopefully I'll know more tomorrow afternoon.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #95
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.b View Post
Silly the thread was merged but whatever.

Well I'm up to 1500 miles on my winter tires/wheels. Had sensors included on from tire rack and have yet to had to reprogram. Still no warning light. I park 40 yards from where my summer wheels are stored. Pretty sold on the fact new sensors auto program.
As discussed earlier, the new sensors will be picked up by the cars BCM, and your warning light will go out. However, if you want the BCM to know which sensor is at which corner if the car, they have to be trained. The only reason that would be truly useful was if we had the ability to monitor each sensor individually, which presently in NA, we can't.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #96
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Well, it sure does work! I got a low tire pressure warning yesterday. This was the third nail I've driven over that required repair since I bought my car. Thank you, Baby Jesus for Discount Tire.

My buddy was like, "AGAIN!? Get a new car! This one is a lemon." hahaha
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #97
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

After my trip to the dealer I was told all the sensors are working. Of course they didnt verify at what psi they were coming on at. However I did press the service adviser to find out what psi it is supposed to notify me at. Still awaiting an answer.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #98
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
After my trip to the dealer I was told all the sensors are working. Of course they didnt verify at what psi they were coming on at. However I did press the service adviser to find out what psi it is supposed to notify me at. Still awaiting an answer.
Hi SaToX,

Did the Service Adviser ever get you an answer? You can always reach out to Ford Canada to get assistance, especially if you're having any concerns at your dealership. They can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #99
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Just got a call from the dealer, from what he was emailed from ford directly, It seems as if the car is running an indirect system so it can't tell very well when all the tires drop in pressure. I will get him to print off the email and I'll post it up.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #100
CeeBee
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101389
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Ti 5-Door 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 CeeBee Good Standing Member
I'll chime in here too...

I bought a set of OEM sensors with reset tool from an online Ford parts dealer, and had them installed when I had my new winter tires mounted on rims last month. I put on the winters Saturday and still have not had a tire warning/light. I've driven the car about 4 times since and have put on 100 kms in that time.

My 3 season wheels/tires are stored 4 floors away in the storage room of my condo.

Bookmarks & Social Networks