2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 146 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #1451
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
The existing bolts are the equivalent to a grade 8 rating which is pretty strong in terms of tensile strength.
A 12.9 rated bolt would be better but at some point we need to consider the strength of the material you are installing the bolt into.
The engineering technologist in me is saying that we should not take this too lightly.
These 6, 8mm bolts are holding our front ends together.
Correction *barely holding

8mm!? Sweet Jesus. It looks like proof load is 22ft-lbs and maximum is 29ft-lbs - 1.25 coarse pitch (24/32 1.0 fine pitch) I use this site: http://www.futek.com/boltcalc.aspx?mode=metric

M8x0.5 bolt would bring us to 27ft-lbs recommended 36ft-lbs maximum. My head hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #1452
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Correction *barely holding

8mm!? Sweet Jesus. It looks like proof load is 22ft-lbs and maximum is 29ft-lbs - 1.25 coarse pitch (24/32 1.0 fine pitch) I use this site: http://www.futek.com/boltcalc.aspx?mode=metric

M8x0.5 bolt would bring us to 27ft-lbs recommended 36ft-lbs maximum. My head hurts.
LOL, yes it's a bit more complicated once you start doing a bit of homework.
Just got back from a week long work related trip to Central Wisconsin. I always have a great time when I'm there.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #1453
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Please stay on-topic, ihcaz.

Quote:
35 ft-lbs was a lucky guess, I suppose.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #1454
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Do you guys think that the bolts are loosening? or do you think that 25 Ft/lbs is just too little torque? It seems that nearly everyone who has had the TSB has reported a certain amount of time when there was no sound. Mine took about 3 days, and i felt it loosen up when i when over a two inch pavement change while turning.
Does that mean that something shifts and then starts knocking, or that the bolts just loosened up. After a while it gets worse and worse, so something is loosening.
If its loosening, wouldn't some sort of lock washer, or locktite thread locker be better than simply adding torque?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #1455
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
Hm, methinks I should delay my appointment tomorrow for the TSB. Looking forward to an update from Ford.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #1456
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
If its loosening, wouldn't some sort of lock washer, or locktite thread locker be better than simply adding torque?
Yes. If the bolts were backing-off Loctite should help this (God, I hate disassembling with Loctite). But if it's bolt stretch, the only things that will solve it are higher grade bolts (which at this point only leaves 12.9) or a larger diameter bolt (but it needs to thread into the strut...)

Will other strut mounts with larger strut bolts fit this strut? I don't think anyone really wants to drill into their frame for a fix that might work, though...
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #1457
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes. If the bolts were backing-off Loctite should help this (God, I hate disassembling with Loctite). But if it's bolt stretch, the only things that will solve it are higher grade bolts (which at this point only leaves 12.9) or a larger diameter bolt (but it needs to thread into the strut...)

Will other strut mounts with larger strut bolts fit this strut? I don't think anyone really wants to drill into their frame for a fix that might work, though...
While there is some play to allow for larger diameter bolts, how big we could go is something that I'm not quite certain of. If we were to step up to a M10 bolt, how much stronger would that be?

Along the same lines, I've been mulling over two different plans, one a little more drastic than the other. The first involves replacing the existing bolts with larger-diameter bolts, and drilling out and re-tapping the strut mounts for a larger bolt. The other involves drilling out the strut mounts, inserting a larger diameter bolt through the bottom of the strut mount, and securing it with a washer and locknut from the top of the strut tower. These are two options that I'm not quite willing to pursue yet, as I'd like to see how seriously Ford considers the data collected from us.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #1458
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
While there is some play to allow for larger diameter bolts, how big we could go is something that I'm not quite certain of. If we were to step up to a M10 bolt, how much stronger would that be?
A lot.

M10 (10.9, even at 1.5 pitch) would be good up to 44 ft lbs (3028.2 kg tension - not including the load from the strut) with a maximum torque of 58ft-lbs (4271 kg).

Note: A grade 10.9 M8 with 0.5 pitch at 36ft-lb (I still have no idea what pitch thread this car uses, but it's probably M8x1) would result in 3125.9 kg of tension on that bolt

Quote:
Along the same lines, I've been mulling over two different plans, one a little more drastic than the other. The first involves replacing the existing bolts with larger-diameter bolts, and drilling out and re-tapping the strut mounts for a larger bolt. The other involves drilling out the strut mounts, inserting a larger diameter bolt through the bottom of the strut mount, and securing it with a washer and locknut from the top of the strut tower. These are two options that I'm not quite willing to pursue yet, as I'd like to see how seriously Ford considers the data collected from us.
I'd probably recommend a grade 10.9 M10x1.25 - but can't recommend torque values until I know the loads these struts are putting on the bolt (maybe 200kg is a good guess based on the weight of the car...?)

After looking at these numbers, I'm almost positive these bolts are stretching.

Again, the site I'm using:
http://www.futek.com/boltcalc.aspx?mode=metric
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1459
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Quote:
If your car isn't clunking now after Ford performed the TSB work, I don't see a need to tweak anything. I'd keep things as-is, lest you create any additional issues.
Understood, but I don't drive it much and would rather retorq. I did put my car up on my lift when I got it back from the dealer making sure everything was ok, but didn't bother retorquing obviously. I guess I'd rather better safe than sorry. I have tools and no excuse not to. I guess I should have stated that. This stuff's easy compared to most car projects I do lol!

Thanks again guys/gals who've found this.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #1460
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Checked Ford Parts... is this strut mount really only $12? (I feel like they were like... $80 on my Escape - bolts included. lol) I might buy 2 and see if I can get someone at work to machine them? Would someone (with the issue) on here want to volunteer to use them with some replacement M10 bolts? I don't actually have the clunking, so it seems kind of moot for me to put it on my car...

Only thing is that I can't guarantee them fitting through the chassis.

Bookmarks & Social Networks