Looking for 2.3L cold air intake under $250 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
xeroplasmic
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105327
What I Drive: 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 xeroplasmic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking for 2.3L cold air intake under $250

Hi guys, i'm looking for a cold air intake for a 03 ZX3 2.3L, it doesn't matter what it is as long as it is exempt in California to pass smog. I have a budget of $250 for it and am looking for something that is decent. I have one right now but it doesn't have an exempt sticker on it so I can't pass smog atm. Anyone have any ideas for what the best one is for that price? please and thank you!

-Eirik

Last edited by xeroplasmic; 10-29-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added Car info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Aem/cfm intakes are around that price area, if not try steeda or fswerks
Still here!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Your best bet is to find someone local and see if you can borrow their stock intake. You probably wont find a CARB approved intake for under $250 even then I don't think anyone made them for your year.

Post up in the Nor Cal regional section http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

We have a few member on here from Rocklin, Citrus Heights and Folsom areas.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05focusST91 View Post
Aem/cfm intakes are around that price area, if not try steeda or fswerks
None of these are CARB approved for 03. Remember, we're in the great state of Commiefornia.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54911
What I Drive: 2003, Silver, ZX3 2.3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 4 homey55 Good Standing Member
there were a couple cosworth units for sale in the classifieds. Unfortunately, that is the only legal unit for our car. K&N also has a CAI that is CARB approved and will fit our car and should have no problem passing the visual inspection. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2559
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Duratec Performance".
Old 10-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
there were a couple cosworth units for sale in the classifieds. Unfortunately, that is the only legal unit for our car. K&N also has a CAI that is CARB approved and will fit our car and should have no problem passing the visual inspection. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-2559
Cosworth CIA thats CARB legal for 03 would be hard to find.The CARB EO# for 03 is D-594-1. Only ones I have seen were D-594 which is only approved for 04. The K&N you linked to is only approved for 05. K&N doesn't make anything approved for 03 Duratec.

If the shop is actually concerned about CARB stickers they will most likely run the EO#s. Just saying CARB approved means nothing. If they run the EO#s and they don't match model year and motor size, it will fail. As far as I know, there are no CARB legal intakes for 03 2.3 Duratec.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
homey55
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54911
What I Drive: 2003, Silver, ZX3 2.3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 4 homey55 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
Cosworth CIA thats CARB legal for 03 would be hard to find.The CARB EO# for 03 is D-594-1. Only ones I have seen were D-594 which is only approved for 04. The K&N you linked to is only approved for 05. K&N doesn't make anything approved for 03 Duratec.

If the shop is actually concerned about CARB stickers they will most likely run the EO#s. Just saying CARB approved means nothing. If they run the EO#s and they don't match model year and motor size, it will fail. As far as I know, there are no CARB legal intakes for 03 2.3 Duratec.
Used Cosworth is the only "legal" intake for that year. I had my car smog'd earlier this year in California before I moved to Mississippi. Now I have no smog whatsoever .

I would think you could easily pass inspection with the K&N though. The smog guys don't typically run numbers.

There are a couple Cosworth used units in the classifieds though.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
As far as I know, there are no CARB legal intakes for 03 2.3 Duratec.
I meant to add except the Cosworth EO# D-594-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homey55 View Post
Used Cosworth is the only "legal" intake for that year. I had my car smog'd earlier this year in California before I moved to Mississippi. Now I have no smog whatsoever .

I would think you could easily pass inspection with the K&N though. The smog guys don't typically run numbers.

There are a couple Cosworth used units in the classifieds though.
What is the EO number on your Cossie intake? Im just giving the OP info on what actually is CARB legal for his year and what isn't. If he wants to get one that is just "CARB legal" for the Duratec he can go for it.

- Cossie EO# D-594 (04 2.3) http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-594.pdf
- Cossie EO# D-594-1 (03-04 2.3, 05 2.0) http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-594-1.pd

OP - The part number listed on both EOs is the same. If you end up with the Cossie intake and it isn't the -1 number, print out the second pdf I linked above. Show them the part number is the same and the original EO was just updated to cover more models. And remember I am assuming the smog guy you're going to is doing everything 100% by the book. They might pass it just because there is sticker on it and not run the number.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
quacking05focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64670
What I Drive: 2005 Infra Red Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 quacking05focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Just keep your stock setup, buy an adapter coupler for ~20 dollars or less so every two years you can reinstall the top part of oem intake just with the aftermarket unit's filter to drive to the smog shop and get tested. It really takes less than 30 minutes and you don't even have to put the car up on jacks or anything (the biggest pain of course is the large oem air cleaner assembly). I've been enjoying my fs werks for the last three and a half years.

Bookmarks & Social Networks