Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What octane fuel to use?

16K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Fan4Focus 
#1 ·
Ok, so my mod list is in my sig and I'm wondering what octane I should be using. At the moment I'm putting in 89. Even though I don't have a tune, should I be using 91? My gas mileage is pretty decent, but I want to know if it would really make that much of a difference before I spend the extra few cents for 91. Thanks

#3 ·
^ I agree. with out a tune, it won't make one bit of difference except for the extra money you are burning.

#5 ·
Stay with regular.. 89 is not regular is it? That octane will change by region and their altitude. For example in the great state of Utah regular is 85 Octane.

With that long tube header you should be thinking of a tune though. people have observed that they can get some what lean under WOT and a long tube header and free flowing exhaust.

#7 ·
What you're thinking of is with the SVT/Ford Racing header that has been known to lean out at wide open throttle. Most of the headers you find out there really don't cause enough trouble to lean out. But like with any upgrade, it is only taken full advantage of it when you use a proper tune with it.

ya 87 is regular here in WI and I usually fill up with mid-grade to be on the safe side. I'm hoping it's not running too lean, but I did notice when I pulled my plug wires that white dust was coming off of them which I believe means I might be running lean. I don't drive WOT much, but I really should think about getting a tune. I appreciate the advice.
If you are still running on the stock tune there is no reason to use any other grade than what is recommended by the manufactor. So there is no reason to spend more money than you have to. I would only go up grades if I was hearing "piston slap" or I had felt that the car wasn't running properly on 87 octane.

By the way, Ford recommends 87 octane for our cars.

#6 ·
ya 87 is regular here in WI and I usually fill up with mid-grade to be on the safe side. I'm hoping it's not running too lean, but I did notice when I pulled my plug wires that white dust was coming off of them which I believe means I might be running lean. I don't drive WOT much, but I really should think about getting a tune. I appreciate the advice.

#8 · (Edited)
Okay, I know I'm going to start a firestorm of replies with this post but, here I go. I see you are in Wisconsin so I know you have Ethanol available. Try mixing about a 15-20% blend of E-85 with your regular. If you have blended pumps in WI that would be the way to go. You get a little higher octane fuel and a little better performance in acceleration. Contrary to many nay sayers, it will not harm your engine. I just recently retired a 1993 vehicle with 232,000 miles on it that I had been running a 30% blend of E-85 for the last 100K miles of it's life and had no negatives at all. That engine was still spotless inside, no seal or fuel line problems and ran great. The blend should be a little cheaper as well and I gained about 5% in mileage both local and highway.

#9 ·
Octane

I know I'm going to start a firestorm of replies with this post but, here we go. I see you are in Wisconsin so I know you have Ethanol available. Try mixing a 15-20% blend of E-85 with your regular grade. If WI has blended pump options, that would be the way to go. You get a little higher octane with the Ethanol and gain a little performance in acceleration. Contrary to the nay sayers, it will not harm your vehicle. You most likely already have a 10% blend in WI. I recently retired a 1993 Ford with 232,000 miles on it that I had been running a 30% blend of E-85 for the last 100K miles of it's life. I had no negative effects at all; no seal problems, no fuel line problems and the engine was still spotless inside. Besides a small boost in acceleration, I also see about a 5% improvement in fuel mileage both city and highway. The blend should also be a little cheaper. [thankyou]

#10 ·
I know I'm going to start a firestorm of replies with this post but, here we go. I see you are in Wisconsin so I know you have Ethanol available. Try mixing a 15-20% blend of E-85 with your regular grade. If WI has blended pump options, that would be the way to go. You get a little higher octane with the Ethanol and gain a little performance in acceleration. Contrary to the nay sayers, it will not harm your vehicle. You most likely already have a 10% blend in WI. I recently retired a 1993 Ford with 232,000 miles on it that I had been running a 30% blend of E-85 for the last 100K miles of it's life. I had no negative effects at all; no seal problems, no fuel line problems and the engine was still spotless inside. Besides a small boost in acceleration, I also see about a 5% improvement in fuel mileage both city and highway. The blend should also be a little cheaper. [thankyou]
Thats not a bad idea. I might try that today. So basically if I'm filling up from empty, I put in say $5-$10 E85 and the rest of the tank regular? If it causes no problems I might as well give it a try. Plus here in WI E85 is nice and inexpensive which is defiantly a plus for me.

#12 ·
Yes, do the math and put in the E85 first, then top it off. Don't be concerned if you see a small drop in mileage on the first tank. The computer needs time to adjust for the different O2 level from the ethanol. Be patient and see what you get with the second tank at the same blend. I will definately say my Z-tec likes this blend! I saw better mileage and performance from the first tank with the blend. My son has a ZX3 also with the Z-tec and he is doing this too with the same results.

#15 ·
I always thought that E85 was a less energy dense fuel. It does have a higher octane rating and it does have lower tail pipe emissions. but what benefit would you have? most regular fuels can have up to 10% ethanol anyway (I think recent law passed that made it so if its under 10% they did not need to advertise that it had that % in it...)

So your raising the octane of the fuel in your tank but your also lowering the energy density also. you may see a small drop in MPG. I think most flex fuel vehicles get a way with a slightly higher compression (due to E85 having a higher octane rating) to make up in their power.

I think a report showed that the Escalade vs the E85 and the normal one had a 1-2 MPG difference in its fuel economy. but E85 is sometimes cheaper and has less of a carbon footprint.

#16 · (Edited)
E85

It is true that E85 is lower in heat energy. However, in higher compression engines (the Ztec is 9.6:1) you see a slight gain in performance with a blend such as 20%. If you go much over 20% you will start to see a loss. I have found 30% to be the turning point. When the Indy Racing League switched to Ethanol in 2007, they saw better performance on Ethanol by simply running higher compression ratios in their engines. They are running "denatured" ethanol (98% ethanol/2% gasoline). The E85 atomizes faster and therefore provides a cooler fuel/air mixture which actually boosts performance. Racers know that cooler fuel/air mixture provides more power. That's why drag racers use a "cool can" to lower the fuel temp. It is also why we put on cold air induction systems.

I am speaking to non-flex fuel vehicles here. Flex fuel vehicles have a different chip in the computer that allows for a wider fuel/air adjustment.

#17 ·
I will be the bad guy here and say DONT use e85 , the ecu doesnt need time to learn the o2 , the o2 will make changes faster then you can see it needs changing even on e85 this is what gets a lot of people in trouble they dont understand e85 / Tuning and think its a wonder fuel and it isnt

It the most / only unregulated fuel in the US which should say a lot, its never a 103 - 105 octane like people say your lucky if its even 93 when they get through with it and why they dont have to put the octane on the pumps , it has less energy , less MPG and under WOT the ecu has NO WAY to adjust for the fueling unless your in a 2012 or newer Focus and running 100% e85 you need to add 26 - 30 % more fuel which nothing older then a 2012 Focus can do at WOT with any fuels

The IRL did go to "E" fuels but the octanes were strictly regulated and they did have much higher octanes then anything ever sold at the pumps

Yes I have seen gains in TQ with running e85 then he returned 4 days later with e85 from another station and was down on power and had spark knock because the blend wasnt the same as his car was tuned for , most guys are not as lucky as he was and they tow the car home

My opinion till they regulate the octane its JUNK fuel , 95% of all the guys over the years that raved about e85 have stopped using it because of failures

There is a ton of misinformation out there about this fuel , best thing I can say is do a LOT of homework before using it

Tom

#18 ·
E85

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but, I will say I have ten years of experience with using a blend of E85 here in Minnesota with no negative effects at all and I DO see a gain in mileage and performance. You can listen to all the negative information out there about ethanol or, you can take it from someone with experience. Just understand, I am not advocating that anyone run full E85 in a non flex fuel vehicle. That WILL create problems with your system. I am only suggesting a 20-30% blend,

You are correct that the ECU makes very quick adjustments to the fuel/air mixture. What happens with the ethanol is that it sees it as a lean mixture due to the higher oxygenating effect of the ethanol. The computer makes big adjustments to compensate for a lean mixture, hence the possible drop initially. Then the ECU makes much smaller adjustments over time to get to a balance. That is why you may initially see a drop but it will stabilize after a tank or two when it sees this as the new normal. The ECU does learn or driving habits and compensates accordingly.

I will drop the subject at this post. I know I am in a small minority of people who have long experience with ethanol.

#19 ·
I don't claim to be an expert on this subject but, I will say I have ten years of experience with using a blend of E85 here in Minnesota with no negative effects at all and I DO see a gain in mileage and performance. You can listen to all the negative information out there about ethanol or, you can take it from someone with experience. Just understand, I am not advocating that anyone run full E85 in a non flex fuel vehicle. That WILL create problems with your system. I am only suggesting a 20-30% blend,

You are correct that the ECU makes very quick adjustments to the fuel/air mixture. What happens with the ethanol is that it sees it as a lean mixture due to the higher oxygenating effect of the ethanol. The computer makes big adjustments to compensate for a lean mixture, hence the possible drop initially. Then the ECU makes much smaller adjustments over time to get to a balance. That is why you may initially see a drop but it will stabilize after a tank or two when it sees this as the new normal. The ECU does learn or driving habits and compensates accordingly.

I will drop the subject at this post. I know I am in a small minority of people who have long experience with ethanol.
Tom wasn't trying to cast you out here. He was just merely stating the fact that he has seen performance runs on a dyno when people are using E85. I know a few people who have ran E85 also. They get mixed results varying on where and when they get it. Just because you have some experience on it does not make you an expert on it by any means. As Tom and I have said before, there really is no regulation on E85. That means you can have an octane rating of 102 one day then the next delivery will be down around 82 octane. The only thing I would suggest to someone is to read up and learn as much as you can about E85 before even attempting to use it.

#20 ·
Update: I filled up yesterday, not a full tank, but I put in about 6 gallons of 87 and 1 gallon E85. I have driven about 20 miles with this mix so far and ik thats not much but it does some to accelerate a little better, might be the placebo effect but I really wasnt try to think about it while driving. I'll see today how the MPG's go as I have to drive another 25 miles to work. With these mixed reviews I might just stay 87, but I'll have to see how many miles I can gain with E85 and if nothing and even possibly lose mileage, I'll stick to regular.

#22 ·
I have been testing and trying to get e85 to work with proper tuning on my dyno for more then 10 years , I have paid the fee of almost 200.00 to get the octane test , tested it in my car both out of the pump and in 55 gallon drums , out of the drum which a much better reading it was still only 94.7 octane

Just so those that dont know me dont think these are just opinions and me ranting

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.