Useless TPMS? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #41
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.b View Post
I'm not worried I'm gonna let it go and see if it eventually throws the light. If it does ill reprogram. If it doesn't I'm just gonna return the reset tool. Will be good info for others too I'm guessing so ill report back after a week or so.
I just got my winters thrown on last Saturday. Made the mistake of assuming that they would just know to take care of it and reset the sensors. Should have double-checked before I left though. Had to head out to the in-laws on Sunday and about 45 minutes into our drive down the Thruway, BAM, there is the warning. Guess I have to head back there this Saturday and get them to reprogram as I am sick of the warning on every startup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #42
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
I just got my winters thrown on last Saturday. Made the mistake of assuming that they would just know to take care of it and reset the sensors. Should have double-checked before I left though. Had to head out to the in-laws on Sunday and about 45 minutes into our drive down the Thruway, BAM, there is the warning. Guess I have to head back there this Saturday and get them to reprogram as I am sick of the warning on every startup.
interesting that they would do that... as others posted here, and i just confirmed w/ my local tire guy (having new tires put on tomorrow) the ford sensors are self setting and so long as they are not removed need not have anything done to them... odd.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
interesting that they would do that... as others posted here, and i just confirmed w/ my local tire guy (having new tires put on tomorrow) the ford sensors are self setting and so long as they are not removed need not have anything done to them... odd.
The original set may still be set to the car, but that doesn't explain why they recommend that you re-train them when they are rotated or when new wheels/ sensors are installed. They also sell a kit with the trigger tool through Ford Racing, ergo the sensors are not self setting in any way shape or form, or the tool would be unnecessary.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #44
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
Oh, they certainly did do it and like I said, I'm getting sick of hearing it every time I start the car. I guess I could throw one of my summers in the trunk to take care of it for a while but they are all buried in the back of my shed for the winter and I don't feel like digging one out. I can make it a couple more days I suppose.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #45
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
I am sick of the warning on every startup.
Haha I dealt with it several times a day every day during the last winter. It's not that bad...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #46
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Haha I dealt with it several times a day every day during the last winter. It's not that bad...
Eh, it is the lights on the dash and I am easily distracted by shiny things!!!!

I bought them for my winters just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. When I first had them put on last winter and then when I had them swapped out with the summer this past Spring, I made it a point both times to ask if they reset them after the swap. Both times they said "Yep, all set, reprogrammed". Based on those two experiences I just made the mistake of assuming this time that they just knew to do so. Assuming....always a bad idea I guess as I'll be heading out there again this Sat.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #47
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The original set may still be set to the car, but that doesn't explain why they recommend that you re-train them when they are rotated or when new wheels/ sensors are installed. They also sell a kit with the trigger tool through Ford Racing, ergo the sensors are not self setting in any way shape or form, or the tool would be unnecessary.
That is whay I understood. I've never heard anything to suggest they were self training. When I bought a set of TPMS sensors from my Ford parts department to put on my snow tire rims they told me I would have to use the training tool to prevent the light from coming on (fortunately the tool was only about $34). So if the Ford service department says it doesn't auto-train I'm inclined to believe them.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #48
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I bought my TPMS sensors off ebay and was told they should work with any training/reprogramming tool. Should I get the tool from tirerack? What if it still doesn't work? :-\
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #49
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I bought my TPMS sensors off ebay and was told they should work with any training/reprogramming tool. Should I get the tool from tirerack? What if it still doesn't work? :-\
Don't spend the cash. I bought one when I ordered my winter tires.
We can get together for a reset if you want. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #50
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
Well I've got 1000 miles on my snow tires and no warning yet. Copper icum..... R u sure they didn't remove your sensors? To me it looks like they auto program

Bookmarks & Social Networks