Normal Idle Vibration - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Vegoose
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104195
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Vegoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Normal Idle Vibration

This is a noob question but I can't find an exact answer by searching the forums. I recently purchased an 06 ZX4 as a commuter vehicle and, eventually, for my son to drive. It's been a long time since I've owned 4 cyl vehicle and I'm not sure how much engine vibration at idle is normal.

I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and some in the seat when idling without the A/C running. With the A/C running the engine actually seems to smooth out.

I've read on the forums to check for vacuum leaks, possible clean or replace the IAC and/or TPS. Before I do all that, just wondering if I should expect some vibration from the Duratec 2.0?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103998
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dizle Good Standing Member
I have the same thing with my car, 75k miles. It's kind of annoying too. Also the motor doesn't rev-down, or return to idle, as quick as other cars. I've read this is normal for the PVEZ? I've changed the oil, cleaned MAF and will replace plugs and wires soon. Just seems the the rev's kind of hang for too long?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
It could be one of the motor mounts is worn out, more likely if its higher mileage...

search around here for other posts on motor mounts, they are easy enough to replace, you have three of them; transimision mount(aka dogbone) passenger side (will leak a fluid if blown) and driver side.

I'd check the passenger motor mount first.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...archid=6452358
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Vegoose
Focus Rookie

Just posted this on another thread too, but changing the passenger side mount is like a magic bullet! Vibration, droning and buzzines are completely eliminated.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegoose View Post
This is a noob question but I can't find an exact answer by searching the forums. I recently purchased an 06 ZX4 as a commuter vehicle and, eventually, for my son to drive. It's been a long time since I've owned 4 cyl vehicle and I'm not sure how much engine vibration at idle is normal.

I can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and some in the seat when idling without the A/C running. With the A/C running the engine actually seems to smooth out.>>>> The a/c kicks the motor to a slightly higher rpm.<<<<

I've read on the forums to check for vacuum leaks, possible clean or replace the IAC and/or TPS. Before I do all that, just wondering if I should expect some vibration from the Duratec 2.0?
Yes, its a 4 cyl & thats the way it is. Your going to get vibes thru the S/W. You should see my wheel vibrate w/ bsd & cams at idle. No big deal.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yup mine too, same thing, S/W vibrations^^ even with 3 brand new motor mounts. But with intake and exhaust vibrations, it's a lot worse eheh^^
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 View Post
yup mine too, same thing, S/W vibrations^^ even with 3 brand new motor mounts. But with intake and exhaust vibrations, it's a lot worse eheh^^
Yeah, but it worth it thou.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Dizle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103998
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dizle Good Standing Member
UPDATE

Went from annoying vibrations at idle and throughout the rpm range while driving to buttery smooth like a new car with no vibrations!

I inspected the passenger motor mount and it looked to be in fairly good condition. Went ahead and replaced it anyways and the vibrations are COMPLETELY GONE! Feels like a brand new car at idle and while driving, it seems like she's not even running it's so smooth.

Anyone with vibration issues at idle I would say change the passenger mount, took like 20 mins and fixed all my vibrations issues. After much research on here I went with DEA brand motor mount, didn't want to spend 2x that for a Ford part. Hoping the $60 mount lasts a few years, if not at least I know it'll be worth it to buy a Ford part and it WILL solve my annoying vibration issues if the come back in the future!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Vegoose
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizle View Post
UPDATE

Went from annoying vibrations at idle and throughout the rpm range while driving to buttery smooth like a new car with no vibrations!

I inspected the passenger motor mount and it looked to be in fairly good condition. Went ahead and replaced it anyways and the vibrations are COMPLETELY GONE! Feels like a brand new car at idle and while driving, it seems like she's not even running it's so smooth.

Anyone with vibration issues at idle I would say change the passenger mount, took like 20 mins and fixed all my vibrations issues. After much research on here I went with DEA brand motor mount, didn't want to spend 2x that for a Ford part. Hoping the $60 mount lasts a few years, if not at least I know it'll be worth it to buy a Ford part and it WILL solve my annoying vibration issues if the come back in the future!
I had the exact same experience. I did, however, buy the Ford part just avoid any problems with a non-OEM part. FYI, you can find the Ford part on Ebay for around $85 incl shipping. Good to hear the DEA part worked for you. I think I might replace the drivers side mount soon so maybe I'll order aftermarket.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
Why are you guys buying such expensive mounts?
O.o

Rock Auto has these mounts for almost half...

Bookmarks & Social Networks