HVAC vent selector / upper blend door - faulty design or repairable? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Ryan_W
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94629
What I Drive: '09 Ebony SES

FF Reputation: 1 Ryan_W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation 09 HVAC vent selector stuck on Defrost and Floor only.

My HVAC switch is not responding to selecting between defrost/panel/floor vents in my 2009 Focus SES (2dr). It only comes out of the defrost and floor vents.

Temperature is OK, the A/C and heat both work, and the blower responds at all 4 levels. I can't find any threads that specifically address the issue of directional control, only blower problems and temperature blending issues caused by resistors.

The mechanic opened the dash and found no broken parts or failed components. He showed me the blower doors behind the radio and we both played with it a bit. They opened and closed smoothly, and the actuator motor (upper drivers side) bench tested OK, according to the shop.

When he started to put it all back together, the tension created by the assembly was clearly causing the upper door to get stuck in place. The owner of the shop said that he thinks Ford has redesigned that specific assembly in the 2009 mid-year but didn't know why.

I'm inclined to believe that it's a faulty design, and since my car was an early 09 (oct 08), might Ford be willing to upgrade to the corrected unit at a dealer? I've only had the car since July 2011, but the delivery date of October 2008 means my bumper to bumper ended in October 2011. I'm at 34,000 miles. I'm also wondering if a stronger actuator motor would have the oomph to push the door open even with the tension.

edit: After the mechanic lubed it and put the dash back together, it's working again. But since there wasn't any damage, I'm certain it will repeat. It was $630 in pure labor to switch to panel. I'm still looking for a guaranteed fix.

Last edited by Ryan_W; 05-05-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Got back from mechanic, updated status and clarified problem.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Ryan_W
Focus Rookie

Thought I would bump this (is that against the rules?)

I contacted the ford rep on these forums today but haven't heard back. Anyone have problems with directional blend doors on this model with low mileage?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
LynneK
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105398
What I Drive: 2009 Silver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 LynneK Good Standing Member
Having the same problem on a 2009 Ford Focus SE, only works on the defrost. Any solutions would be appreciated
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneK View Post
Having the same problem on a 2009 Ford Focus SE, only works on the defrost. Any solutions would be appreciated
Hi LynneK,

Have you swung by your local Ford dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. You may also want to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673; they'll coordinate efforts with your dealer and work on a resolution.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
RussH
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105543
What I Drive: 2009 Silver FE

FF Reputation: 1 RussH Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi LynneK,

Have you swung by your local Ford dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are in the best position to diagnose and repair your vehicle. You may also want to contact Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673; they'll coordinate efforts with your dealer and work on a resolution.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Have a great day!
Crystal

Crystal,

I have a 2009 SE which started this week blowing air out of the dash vents only regardless of the selector setting.

The car only has 32,000 miles and has already had the ignition switch replaced and a rough idle condition checked under warranty. The rough idle condition was not addressed by the dealer with the claim that is normal for the Focus model. The car idled smooth when I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and the rough idle developed at around 25,000 miles, therefore, it is not normal for this car. The car was taken to the dealer for those two issues in July, 2012.

Now the HVAC system has failed with symptoms similar to those decribed in the posts above. The 3/36 warranty expired at the end of August, 2012. I know the amount of labor involved to remove the HVAC box from a car. Will Ford cover this issue?

Russ
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,155, Level 34
Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34 Points: 3,155, Level: 34
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Crystal,

I have a 2009 SE which started this week blowing air out of the dash vents only regardless of the selector setting.

The car only has 32,000 miles and has already had the ignition switch replaced and a rough idle condition checked under warranty. The rough idle condition was not addressed by the dealer with the claim that is normal for the Focus model. The car idled smooth when I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and the rough idle developed at around 25,000 miles, therefore, it is not normal for this car. The car was taken to the dealer for those two issues in July, 2012.

Now the HVAC system has failed with symptoms similar to those decribed in the posts above. The 3/36 warranty expired at the end of August, 2012. I know the amount of labor involved to remove the HVAC box from a car. Will Ford cover this issue?

Russ
Hi RussH,

Since you are out of your warranty period, it isn't likely that this repair would be covered by Ford. I would advise that you either contact your dealership or the Customer Relationship Center to get a definitive answer. The CRC can be reached at 1-800-392-3673.

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Ryan_W
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneK View Post
Lynn,

My particular problem was a dislodged blend door, selecting between panel, defrost and floor.

There is a small motor behind the glove compartment that operates the panel. In my case, the motor was operating normally. That should be your first check. But, because it's behind the dash, if you don't have a friend that can help you or some time/knowledge on your hands, be prepared to pay for 3-4 hours of labor with potentially no resolution. I seriously doubt Ford or your dealer will do anything to help you. They didn't do anything to help me.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.