2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 141 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #1401
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast
 
hand-filer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90895
Location: Wpg, Canada
What I Drive: One less Ford

Posts: 343
FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Factory torque spec is 25 ft-lbs.
Yes I am aware of the factory specification, but at what torque load does the stud begin to stretch? We don't know what the tensile strength of this material is. That is my concern.
It's more than likely a class 10.9 material which has a maximum torque value of around 27 ft-lbs.
Not trying to be a smart ass; just don't want to see anyone get into a situation.
__________________
2012 Mustang Brembo GT - Kona Blue
2013 Acura RDX - Alabaster Silver
hand-filer is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #1402
Zillon
Focus Addict
 
Zillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 17393
Location: Philthadelphia, PA
What I Drive: '13 GTI

Posts: 1,387
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Yes I am aware of the factory specification, but at what torque load does the stud begin to stretch? We don't know what the tensile strength of this material is. That is my concern.
It's more than likely a class 10.9 material which has a maximum torque value of around 27 ft-lbs.
Not trying to be a smart ass; just don't want to see anyone get into a situation.
I thought you were asking about the torque spec. My apologies.

I don't know what the spec on the bolts is, unfortunately, which is why I'm advocating this as an 'at your own risk' solution.
__________________
Joined the dark side.
Zillon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #1403
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast
 
hand-filer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90895
Location: Wpg, Canada
What I Drive: One less Ford

Posts: 343
FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
I thought you were asking about the torque spec. My apologies.

I don't know what the spec on the bolts is, unfortunately, which is why I'm advocating this as an 'at your own risk' solution.
No problem, I'm willing to test the limits myself if it helps to quell the noise.
Thanks again for your persistance in trying to come up with a solution.
__________________
2012 Mustang Brembo GT - Kona Blue
2013 Acura RDX - Alabaster Silver
hand-filer is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1404
Zillon
Focus Addict
 
Zillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 17393
Location: Philthadelphia, PA
What I Drive: '13 GTI

Posts: 1,387
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Additionally, I'm probably just going to order a new set of strut mount bolts for the ST, anyway, just to be safe, and complete my suspension.

I do know that certain fasteners in the suspension are one-time-use only, and there is a chance that these are part of that group of hardware.

Let me know what you find out, hand-flier. I'm eager to know myself.
__________________
Joined the dark side.
Zillon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #1405
Zillon
Focus Addict
 
Zillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 17393
Location: Philthadelphia, PA
What I Drive: '13 GTI

Posts: 1,387
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
FYI, the part number for the bolt is CV6Z-3C448-A. Same bolt is listed for the ST as my 2012 Focus.

$20.00 through Fordparts.com. $13.20/ea through Tousley.
__________________
Joined the dark side.
Zillon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #1406
HuskerFocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100149
Location: Champaign, IL
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SEL Hatch

Posts: 148
FF Reputation: 1 HuskerFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
FYI, the part number for the bolt is CV6Z-3C448-A. Same bolt is listed for the ST as my 2012 Focus.

$20.00 through Fordparts.com. $13.20/ea through Tousley.
You probably are aware (sorry if you are), but if you set Tousley as your default on Fordparts.com, you get the Tousley prices on there as well, instead of the inflated prices/MSRP from your local dealer.

I had ordered parts on Fordparts.com before (before I knew of Tousley, DOH! ) and just decided to check them out one day on there and voila, much better prices on fordparts.com. Now I don't need to set up another account for their site.
__________________
Vehicles: 2012 Focus SEL - Ingot Silver - +MyFord Touch
Mods: Drop in K&N Air filter, 30% Tint
Build Date: 12/19/2011
HuskerFocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #1407
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast
 
gtncpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86143
Location: Midland Park, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

Posts: 502
FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFocus View Post
You probably are aware (sorry if you are), but if you set Tousley as your default on Fordparts.com, you get the Tousley prices on there as well, instead of the inflated prices/MSRP from your local dealer.

I had ordered parts on Fordparts.com before (before I knew of Tousley, DOH! ) and just decided to check them out one day on there and voila, much better prices on fordparts.com. Now I don't need to set up another account for their site.
Tousley FTW!!!!
gtncpa is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #1408
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97815
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

Posts: 164
FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford Racing has a PDF that details the instal of their suspension. It has a detail of what connections have to be discarded and has torque specs. I haven't poured over it in detail but if one was wanting to dive into a suspension job this is very helpful.


http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=13501
ChrisRyan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #1409
Zillon
Focus Addict
 
Zillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Fan#: 17393
Location: Philthadelphia, PA
What I Drive: '13 GTI

Posts: 1,387
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Nice catch!

Looks like the 3 strut mount bolts are, in fact, supposed to be used only once.
__________________
Joined the dark side.
Zillon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #1410
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
 
Sonic_HedgeHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

Posts: 13,485
FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Nice catch!

Looks like the 3 strut mount bolts are, in fact, supposed to be used only once.
That begs the question as to whether the bolts have been replaced when the TSB was applied...? Would solve part of the clunk return part
__________________
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sonic_HedgeHog is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.