Unhappy With Transmission - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
neverfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105351
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 neverfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy With Transmission

Well I've been snooping around on these forums for a while and decided I wanted to share my story. So, I took my focus in because it was making the noise every other 2012 focus makes when the transmission shifts (the "rocks" rattling round.) So the guy wrote up a report and he said he'd call me when it was ready. A few hours passed and I called and the receptionist said it was ready, (the guy never called me) and when i looked at the invoice it stated "We test drove it for 3 miles and no noises were heard and it shifted as intended."

Their ears must be clogged because the noise is loud and clear. The company knows that if they recall the transmission on this car, they would lose a serious amount of money.

Another note, I have no problem with the way it shifts. The only time its a pain is in low speed situations like a parking garage, which i go through 4 times a week. The only thing that bothers me is the sound the transmission makes when shifting/giving it gas when in a high gear......My rant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
in slow speeds put the shifter down into "S" or "L" (depending on what yours says). you should be good.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
First, not "every" Focus makes noise when shifting. I've driven several and none had that problem. Second, you don't say how many miles your Focus has, but they do get better with age.

Noises and other transmission weirdness seem to have two main causes: out-of-date software (has your car received FSA 12b37?) or an internal oil leak that contaminates the clutch plates. The software issue is easily addressed by your dealer. The clutch issue may be a struggle if there isn't a visible fluid leak.

Try it again with the dealer. See if you can take a mechanic on a drive with your car and then one off the lot. Or see if a mechanic will take your car home overnight. Be as specific as possible about the behavior you're experiencing and when it occurs. Look over this board for some success stories dealing with oil-contaminated clutches, print and give to the technician. If this doesn't work, look for Crystal or one of the Fords reps that monitor this board: they can get extra attention from the dealer network.

I don't think the difficulty getting things fixed is because Ford is trying to avoid the issue. The real problem seems to be a dealer network unprepared to deal with a new technology.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
My clutches work perfectly, but I still get the rattling / grinding while driving slowly through a parking garage or a drive-thru. I think the rattling is something that doesn't show up until you've put some miles on, and doesn't necessarily have a connection to a clutch issue.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
neverfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105351
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 neverfocus Good Standing Member
My car does have the 12b37 update (got recalled) and the car has roughly 2500 miles on it. Bought in Apr 12. (I know low mileage.) When I pulled into my driveway when I first got the car home, I heard the noise. I said to my father that we should bring it back but then I told myself it was the clutches probably wearing in.

But that's what I was going to do was bring the mechanic on a test drive to show him the noise.

And I didn't really mean every focus, I was just mad at the time. And what I want to know is, if the noise is "normal",THEN what makes the noise AND why? But by the way you're (dan50) describing the oil leak with the clutch, it's not normal.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
First, not "every" Focus makes noise when shifting. I've driven several and none had that problem. Second, you don't say how many miles your Focus has, but they do get better with age.

Noises and other transmission weirdness seem to have two main causes: out-of-date software (has your car received FSA 12b37?) or an internal oil leak that contaminates the clutch plates. The software issue is easily addressed by your dealer. The clutch issue may be a struggle if there isn't a visible fluid leak.

Try it again with the dealer. See if you can take a mechanic on a drive with your car and then one off the lot. Or see if a mechanic will take your car home overnight. Be as specific as possible about the behavior you're experiencing and when it occurs. Look over this board for some success stories dealing with oil-contaminated clutches, print and give to the technician. If this doesn't work, look for Crystal or one of the Fords reps that monitor this board: they can get extra attention from the dealer network.

I don't think the difficulty getting things fixed is because Ford is trying to avoid the issue. The real problem seems to be a dealer network unprepared to deal with a new technology.
This is all good advice and accurate, I think. My wife's had the transmission seals and clutch assembly replaced. It's like a new car now. It had the grinding noise, shuddering and rough shifting.

I especially agree with the last statement about the dealer network, though I know some may disagree with your assessment of Ford corporate.

When I first took the car in and mentioned the grinding noise and shuddering at low speeds when it had only around 1k miles, the service advisor did not even know the car had a clutch. First, it was, "It's an automatic, it doesn't have a clutch." Then it was, "That's normal for these cars." That last one was even after a tech drove with me, heard the grinding noise and acknowledged it was not supposed to do it, but then after contacting Ford, reverted to the "it's normal" line.

Very slowly, my dealer seems to have become aware of the technology and problems with the car and has been (mostly) good at dealing with them.

One thing I would advise anyone is DO NOT let anyone tell you the grinding noise and the shuddering are normal.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
My clutches work perfectly, but I still get the rattling / grinding while driving slowly through a parking garage or a drive-thru. I think the rattling is something that doesn't show up until you've put some miles on, and doesn't necessarily have a connection to a clutch issue.
^^Exactly^^- slow speed noises only and they have NOT gotten worse only better. I have a little over 6000 miles now.

I have "learned" to drive it quietly by the amount of pressure on the gas pedal.

It's almost a fun morning game to see how quiet I can drive it.

^^ I make small joke^^
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
kiveysc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104304
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 kiveysc Good Standing Member
I love the tranny ,and its response. I have 15k and it's smooth.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
THIS just started in my car this morning

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Is THIS the grinding others are hearing???
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
No one in their right mind can tell you that the noise is normal.

BTW, in your video, you say "So I'm out driving in my 2012 Ford Escape...".

Bookmarks & Social Networks