improving SEL handling - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I prob. just wanna go with 'performance' shocks/struts to take things up a notch and with that in mind, did some on line searching but came up with not much and even more confused as to what to purchase. I already have the 17" contis that come w/ the car and i don't find them very performance oriented so am not opposed to swapping them out for maybe 225/45/17 tires to improve things a bit. I would think that w/ the bigger tires and better shock/struts handling will improve sufficiently. Opinions?
What are you willing to trade off?

For example, would a greater amount of road/tire noise be acceptable to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
You're going to be a little bit on the narrow side for rim width with that particular tire if you keep your stock wheels.
With a 225/45?

A 225/45 will fit perfectly fine. Remember, 225 = section width, 45 = aspect ratio/sidewall.

For example, the stock 17" tires are a 215/50, which is narrower with a taller sidewall.

In my opinion, I'd go with the handling dampers with springs, wider tires, and the Steeda rear sway bar. I think that would leave you satisfied without lowering the car nor changing the ride quality too much.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #23
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
What are you willing to trade off?

For example, would a greater amount of road/tire noise be acceptable to you?
yes, i can deal w/ a bit more tire/road noise....
Old 10-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
With a 225/45?

A 225/45 will fit perfectly fine. Remember, 225 = section width, 45 = aspect ratio/sidewall.

For example, the stock 17" tires are a 215/50, which is narrower with a taller sidewall.

In my opinion, I'd go with the handling dampers with springs, wider tires, and the Steeda rear sway bar. I think that would leave you satisfied without lowering the car nor changing the ride quality too much.
yes, i saw the steeda rear sway bar on sale for 130 something on line and that is one option i was thinkin of in addition to new tires and better shocks/struts
(tho im not so crazy bout the coil overs as that seems to be opening up more than i wish to handle)

As well, i have read that replacing the rear sway bar is pretty easy but what about the front bar? (if even it should be upgraded)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
With a 225/45?

7, 7.5, 8, 8.5 are the approved rim widths for that size tire, but 7 is on the low side. A 7.5 is better suited IMO, if the poster is seeking better steering feel.

Actually, a 215/50 is likely to have a wider section width than a 225/45 when both are on 17x7s.

Last edited by jsr72; 10-25-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #26
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Me again. Ive been looking at tire replacements to start with.....then on to other suspension components as needed. I was looking at tire rack reviews for conti dws hi perf all seasons (i dont want to deal anymore with switching summer/winter tires) and i do drive occassionaly in snow.
Reviews overall seem very good but im concerned about reported weak sidewalls causing tire failure, esp on hole-y roads. Reviews dont state if tire in question had a lower series. I plan to drop from 50 to 45 series and i know ill have less sidewall 'cushion' but iyo is this reported sidewall failure a cause for concern? Thnx
Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
SteedaBrandon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96136
What I Drive: n/a

FF Reputation: 1 SteedaBrandon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
yes, i saw the steeda rear sway bar on sale for 130 something on line and that is one option i was thinkin of in addition to new tires and better shocks/struts
(tho im not so crazy bout the coil overs as that seems to be opening up more than i wish to handle)

As well, i have read that replacing the rear sway bar is pretty easy but what about the front bar? (if even it should be upgraded)
Let me know if I can help you with that, forum members do get a discount. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks