New Focus - Proper Exterior Care - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question New Focus - Proper Exterior Care

So I bought my Focus back in June, and I am noticing areas of rough paint throughout various areas. I bought my last vehicle used about 8 years old and kept it in good shape, however I never really waxed, polished, or clay barred it. Being that my Focus is new, I'd like to stay on top of it, especially with the winter season coming up. So I'm curious as to the advice you guys have that I should follow regarding proper exterior care. Now I did opt for the Simoniz glasscoating from the dealer, I know there are mixed opinions on that, but I was told and read that clay barring and polishing could remove this, however waxing wouldn't. What do you guys recommend, and also what products? I've never really been one to buy expensive products, but if it means the car stays fresh for years and years with me regularly caring for it, then I'm down for it. I heard Adam's has a pretty good kit, as the first suggestion to bring up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
billand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103046
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 billand Good Standing Member
I detail cars for a living and I would never rely on what dealers sell you all waxes ( carnauba) or sealant ( synthetic wax ) will come off after time. I would look in to other brands besides Adams they make good products but for the price you can get much better. I always clay bar cars before any protection wax sealant or coating like opti seal or opti coat 2.0. I really like wolf gang deep gloss sealant its a great sealant wax.
Check out autogeek.net for more advice and great products they also have a forum.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
foundonroadalive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46468
What I Drive: 2013 fiesta titanium blue candy

FF Reputation: 1 foundonroadalive Good Standing Member
wolfgang very good. i also like optimum car wax and optimum opti seal. opti-seal is so slick that after washing, the car is almost dry, as the wash water rolls off. a bottle will last a year. auto geek or detailers image.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
proximal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104880
What I Drive: MCS

FF Reputation: 1 proximal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
So I'm curious as to the advice you guys have that I should follow regarding proper exterior care.
The key with keeping a car clean: keeping a car clean is easy if you do it often, and if you do it often it is easy.

A clay bar is a good idea even on a new car. If you park outside, you'll probably need to clay it regularly. If you park inside, well some of my cars don't see a clay bar for a couple years.

For actual protection, I'd recommend Optimum Optiseal and Optimum Car Wax for ease of use. The Optiseal is applied and flashes off, the Car Wax is sprayed on and wiped off. Optiseal is more critical IMO, but the Car Wax leaves a nice gloss on top of Optiseal. I can clay a car and use both products in under an hour.

Don't forget to wax your wheels. I'm using a sealant (Finish Kare 1000P) which lasts a long time even on wheels that see high temps. The wax makes it really easy to remove brake dust, I use a small California Car Duster to keep wheels clean between washes.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
I recommend reading some of the how tos here:
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Great tips and forums are a great resource if you need help.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
nateyo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
This place really has some great stuff.
http://www.detailedimage.com/

Biggest things I'd recommend are:

1. Always do a two bucket wash, one for rinsing the sponge (put a gritguard in it!), the other for your soap. Like the above poster said, Optimum car washes are great. I got this big one http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P284/32-oz-S1/ which will last forever and it smells great.
2. When washing your car, no circles! Barely put any pressure on the sponge, just glide it in straight lines over the body. This will hopefully lift the dirt as opposed to swirling it or grinding it into your clear coat.
3. After a good washing, if you can run your fingers over areas and feel it "bumpy" then it needs to be clay barred.
4. I seal twice a year with Blackfire Wet Diamond, which seems to be pretty nice. Then if you want you can put a wax on top for extra shine.

Oh and get some good tire care products! Some of the most notable things about a clean car are shiny rims and tires. :)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyo View Post
Then if you want you can put a wax on top for extra shine.
Wax is for protection, they try to sell you on shine but it is not true, shine comes from smooth paint.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
engine ear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5447
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 engine ear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Barely put any pressure on the sponge,
I NEVER use a sponge to wash the paint, other than my rims. Micro fiber mitts for me and LOTS of soap and water to lift off the all the gritty stuff we have in AZ. Zaino lover here, from the car wash to the tire detail, works for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
nateyo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine ear View Post
I NEVER use a sponge to wash the paint, other than my rims.
I use microfibers for everything else, but these sponges work perfectly because they easily release dirt when used with a grit guard in your wash bucket.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Lake-Co...t-Sponge-P293/
Old 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine ear View Post
I NEVER use a sponge to wash the paint, other than my rims. Micro fiber mitts for me and LOTS of soap and water to lift off the all the gritty stuff we have in AZ. Zaino lover here, from the car wash to the tire detail, works for me.
Zaino Products are pretty sweet, been using them since I was in a car club back in 2000.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->