Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I also test drove the ST and was disappointed. Ended up buying an SE instead as I felt the added performance wasn't worth the extra cost. The buzzing engine sound I found annoying. It's gotten excellent reviews so obviously some people love it, but it just wasn't for me.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54622
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT 3 door #2176

Points 1,562, Level 22
Points: 1,562, Level: 22 Points: 1,562, Level: 22 Points: 1,562, Level: 22
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 dtecPwr Good Standing Member
I test drove a new ST2 package the other day and I really liked the car but I guess I was disappointed that I didn't walk away loving it...
It is a completely different animal from the old SVT that I drive on a daily basis. The new car is quieter, smoother, handles amazingly, looks awesome, has amazing seats, a lot more technology, and some awesome power! And again all of this was a big plus. The only negatives I have are the clutch pedal was freaky light, and that sound symposer is so fake sounding its rediculous...

The reason I didn't walk away loving it was I felt it was missing the soul or mechanical feel of the old SVT. After the test drive I drove home and appreciated what my SVT is even more!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
rgonyer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5268
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 rgonyer Good Standing Member
dtecPwr, I do hear what you are saying and that's kinda how I felt as well.

However, after having my ST a week, I'm at the point where I don't think I'd go back now! The ST really is amazing, in a totally different way.

Having said that, if I could have ordered it with HID's and the Recaro's without all the Sync and MFT stuff and saved some money, I would have. The Nav is nice and works really well, however.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #24
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54622
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT 3 door #2176

Points 1,562, Level 22
Points: 1,562, Level: 22 Points: 1,562, Level: 22 Points: 1,562, Level: 22
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 dtecPwr Good Standing Member
rgonyer,
I definetly feel that with more seat time I would appreciate more and begin to love it. (only had a 15min drive) Don't get me wrong, I am still considering the car probably a ST3 but I am going to hold off until the 2014 comes out with all the updates and changes (hopefully someone will have a good aftermarket exhaust by then too). It would be nice to have a new car and not have to worry about any maintainence except oil changes for awhile. Right now I am condering the ST or WRX and that is not an easy decision (both are manual and turboed, wrx has awd which is huge living in a state that gets a lot of snow, but the ST gets way better MPGs)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

Points 10,819, Level 68
Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68 Points: 10,819, Level: 68
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I also was thinking about a 2013 ST so I actually test drove a ST3 at the dealership this morning.. I left feeling the same way as the OP about my 2005 ST.. Besides I couldn't believe the dealership had some kind of "market value" markup, so it was priced at over 31k!! What a joke..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgonyer View Post
dtecPwr, I do hear what you are saying and that's kinda how I felt as well.

However, after having my ST a week, I'm at the point where I don't think I'd go back now! The ST really is amazing, in a totally different way.

Having said that, if I could have ordered it with HID's and the Recaro's without all the Sync and MFT stuff and saved some money, I would have. The Nav is nice and works really well, however.
The Recaros should definitely be an option on the ST1 ($995, maybe?).
Old 10-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #27
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,290, Level 100
Points: 51,290, Level: 100 Points: 51,290, Level: 100 Points: 51,290, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
As most know I come from a Looooooong line of turbocharged Foci , I have built hundreds and owened 5 of them turbocharged one being a SVT which I still have and hope to keep for a long long time

I have done about everything there is to do to a Focus from 230HP NA to 700+ HP Turbocharged street Focus to a V8 Focus with a stroker 351w stroked to a 406

I have drove 3 ST now and first thing I didnt like was the small feeling seats , there not for a guy my size 6`2 265lbs and the recaros are even worse

I liked how the car pulled from 2000 to 4000 but then it was over and you could feel it nosing over (I can fix that lol) , and I hated the in car sound , let the engine do what its going to do , no in cabin sound needs to be added

I liked how the steering quickens as you get closer to the end , I like how the steering feels connected to the driver , I liked how you could throw the car around and bring it back

I feel the car is over priced for there target market in todays economy and there should be a stripped ST for about 19,000 with regular seats , no nav , sync , etc

Over all I did like the car which surprised me , the guys car I drove drove my turbocharged SVT only set to 240HP and he climed out with a hugh smile on his face saying I wish the ST felt like that and I said I wish the SVT drove like that , dont get me wrong I love my SVT and it felt great to climb back into it right after driving the SVT but you can tell the ST has stepped forward in a lot of ways and after riding and driving it for just over 200 miles it felt great even for long trips , over all its just a fun car

Would I buy one yes , will I pay the new price NO I will wait for a used one to come along , would love to find a rebuilt because I wont have a warranty for long anyway , 2000 ZX3 warranty dead at 150 miles , 2002 SVT warranty was dead at 26 miles

Would I trade my 2002 Turbocharged SVT for it straight up....NOPE !

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
ViperThreat
Dat boxer rumble

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,652, Level 58
Points: 7,652, Level: 58 Points: 7,652, Level: 58 Points: 7,652, Level: 58
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I am going to have to agree with the general consensus here. I've driven a ST1 and two ST2's now, and i haven't found them to live up to the hype that Ford had been pushing. Yes they look great, yes they drive great, and yes, the cost is reasonable, but at the same time, it didn't feel eager to dive though the turns or slam through the gears.

I like my cars to feel like the Tasmanian devil, and its my job as a driver to hold them back; the ST feels opposite of that to me, it feels too reserved. For what its worth, I like it alot, but I cant compare it to a WRX or Speed3 in terms of how it feels to drive.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
fast07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54363
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus ST, 93 Stang, 68 Stang

FF Reputation: 2 fast07st Good Standing Member
I have been considering the new ST as well... As most of us, (especially the 05-07 ST owners), the idea of an "ST" that would finally unify the focus gearheads - sounds great.

As soon as I started seeing '13 ST's advertized by nearby Ford dealers... out came my calculator...

How much does the extra HP, new car smell & "ST" exclusivity Cost? ... wait, is this new ST a seperate model?... or is it a part of the regular focus (better make sure... been there - done that :)

The new ST will sure outperform my 07 ST... but considering that my ST has been a really great car... still bone stock (unlike my expectations when I bought it - only upgrades are: oil changes and one set of brakes:), but yet even today it still handles, sounds and looks great... I have had no problems at all and every time I drive it, I still smile :)

How much does that cost?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
I haven't driven the new ST yet and I probably won't. For me, it's not ever going to be very practical as a daily driver. When it snows (like it does here sometimes) several inches I have to go out and drive in it. My '05 with snow tires in nothing but fun for me. I pass 4x4s that are having problems getting traction. They probably wonder if my car is AWD. I used to be looking at getting something more sporty than my car... now I look at getting a Tacoma or the like because my practical side is winning.

I mountain bike A LOT (one of my bikes has studded tires and I take it up and down frozen creeks and lakes just to give you some idea) and that's why I want a pickup (which I would equip with an extra set of wheels and tires for winter by the way). But even if I didn't have "pickup" on my brain, I just can't see the new ST as being a practical 4 season DD. Too low.

For people that do drive one though (and hopefully you have a second vehicle for winter if you live in a winter climate), good choice. For what it's supposed to do, I think it does it well... from what I've gathered, anyways. The complaints seem to be minor (though there's always room for improvement, right?) Enjoy your ST. I still enjoy mine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.