door edge repair cost - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92283
What I Drive: '12, candy red, Focus Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 splicedwdm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
door edge repair cost

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone out there could give me a general idea, in CDN dollars, of how much it would cost to fix my door edge. Please take a look at the pic. I was thinking of having the dealer do it if it's reasonable.

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
You could have any body shop do it for around $200 US. At least with the people I know that is. But if you were to have the dealership do it, it's going to cost a lot more. For a scuff that small, the cost of the paint will be more than labor in most cases.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
You could have any body shop do it for around $200 US. At least with the people I know that is. But if you were to have the dealership do it, it's going to cost a lot more. For a scuff that small, the cost of the paint will be more than labor in most cases.
Thanks very much. I'm hoping they'll cut me a deal considering I'm having a new set of tires put on. If not, I'll have to find a good place nearby.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicedwdm View Post
Thanks very much. I'm hoping they'll cut me a deal considering I'm having a new set of tires put on. If not, I'll have to find a good place nearby.
The dealership is going to fix it for the cost of the touch-up paint because I'm purchasing tires and rims from them. $10 is a great deal - looks like they want my continued business!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Ziggy Cockburn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73657
What I Drive: SportCombi

FF Reputation: 3 Ziggy Cockburn Good Standing Member
The problem with having the dealership doing it is that since you are NOT paying for it they will spend around 4 seconds fixing that and making it look like a dogs breakfast. I had A similar mark on my car and the dealer ship did such a shitty job they made it look worse. They did not even prep the area and the paint came off 2 days later.

I did it my self 2 months ago and you can't even notice it.

Go to an body supply store and get a bottle of paint for your car with the code on the door with the handy brush for around $10 cash (you will end up with about 4 times as much paint as the dealership pen will have). Take steel wool and try to tidy up the loose paint in the area and to get any surface rust that may be forming off the raw steel (carefully) then clean it 4 or 5 times with Q-tips and Methyl hydrate (alcohol). Then mask it off along the edge so you wont be able to see the paint when the door is closed, and paint it.

Just take your time and do a good job masking and when the paint dries no one will be the wiser.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
splicedwdm
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn View Post
The problem with having the dealership doing it is that since you are NOT paying for it they will spend around 4 seconds fixing that and making it look like a dogs breakfast. I had A similar mark on my car and the dealer ship did such a shitty job they made it look worse. They did not even prep the area and the paint came off 2 days later.

I did it my self 2 months ago and you can't even notice it.

Go to an body supply store and get a bottle of paint for your car with the code on the door with the handy brush for around $10 cash (you will end up with about 4 times as much paint as the dealership pen will have). Take steel wool and try to tidy up the loose paint in the area and to get any surface rust that may be forming off the raw steel (carefully) then clean it 4 or 5 times with Q-tips and Methyl hydrate (alcohol). Then mask it off along the edge so you wont be able to see the paint when the door is closed, and paint it.

Just take your time and do a good job masking and when the paint dries no one will be the wiser.
My dealer was true to his word, and did an excellent job repairing the blemish - it looks like new. It's been quite a few days now, and no issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->