replacement shocks and struts - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
replacement shocks and struts

hey all,,, i've been doing some searching both here in FF and elsewhere trying to learn what would be the best replacement shocks n struts for my car. Sooooo many different opinions were voiced so i'm throwing out this question again to see if i can get some more current responses.

I've read that the following brands are good but which , iyo, is the better? I don't want to change out the springs, prob. just struts/shocks/tires to improve things a bit. The brands are:

KYB - i've heard these are just better OEM struts. true?
KYB AGX - read that these are better than the above.
KONI and KONI Yellow
SRT
Eibach

any info is appreciated. thnx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, here's the unfortunate truth: nobody makes aftermarket dampers for these cars yet. I've called both Koni and Bilstein, and although they have product in the pipeline, nothing has been released as of yet.

Sure, Koni Yellows for the Mazdaspeed3 will fit the rear (and that's just what I've done), but for the front struts, you are essentially SOL unless you go with OEM parts from a different model.

You said you liked how your sister's Titanium w/handling package drove. Why not just put the OEM handling package springs, shocks, and struts on your car? That option will end up being much, much cheaper than going aftermarket.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Well, here's the unfortunate truth: nobody makes aftermarket dampers for these cars yet. I've called both Koni and Bilstein, and although they have product in the pipeline, nothing has been released as of yet.

Sure, Koni Yellows for the Mazdaspeed3 will fit the rear (and that's just what I've done), but for the front struts, you are essentially SOL unless you go with OEM parts from a different model.

You said you liked how your sister's Titanium w/handling package drove. Why not just put the OEM handling package springs, shocks, and struts on your car? That option will end up being much, much cheaper than going aftermarket.
thnx for that suggestion .. i did think about that and i guess ur right... it's prob the better way to go.... i can just go to my local ford dealer and get it all from them.

IYO, are changing out the springs necessary.? I guess i don't expect Ti quality handling but it'd be nice to come close. I just want to firm up the SEL's suspension. Would shock/strut/tire replacement achieve these goals iyo? thnx
Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes, changing out the springs is necessary.

Aside from simply matching the springs to the appropriate dampers, the Ti springs should have a higher spring rate that enhances the handling past just a simple shock and strut replacement.

You're tearing the suspension apart anyway... why not replace them? IIRC, I don't think they're even that expensive.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Yes, changing out the springs is necessary.

Aside from simply matching the springs to the appropriate dampers, the Ti springs should have a higher spring rate that enhances the handling past just a simple shock and strut replacement.

You're tearing the suspension apart anyway... why not replace them? IIRC, I don't think they're even that expensive.
thanks for the info.. i will now do some price checking...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

does anyone know if the rear sway bar is upgraded on the TI? If so, what size is it? thnx
Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Uptcv1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88390
What I Drive: 2012 sonic blue SE sport DCT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Uptcv1 Good Standing Member
Saw your other thread as well, first what I would though is check ture pressures... Very inexpensive... Might be suprised.. Try +1 or +2 from what pressure is indicated on door.. Might notice big improvement especially if current reading is low.. - I remember how I hated my previous car vw cc 2.0T manual thinking needed stiffer setup did this w tire pressures and became so much better -although traded for focus later-
If this doesnt help much, dampers springs would be next... BUT.. Consider this as well, is car clunking at this point? Theres some of us with this pesky clunk so if youre not might be best to wait for now until a proven tested after mkt solution comes up... If already clunking then might as well change parts anyways..
-side note on conti DWS tires you were asking on other thread, had em on my audi a4 before my cc loved them superior improvement vs factory contis
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
does anyone know if the rear sway bar is upgraded on the TI? If so, what size is it? thnx
I don't know that it's an upgraded bar over other trims but I believe it is a 19mm bar. Us Ti guys are still purchasing aftermarket bars.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
I don't know that it's an upgraded bar over other trims but I believe it is a 19mm bar. Us Ti guys are still purchasing aftermarket bars.
thnx for the info on the bar. as an aside another member cautioned/mentioned the clunking problem some Ti owners are having (i don't have that problem on the SEL)

Is this problem prevalent on all Tis or only the occasional Ti? I def don't wanna deal w/ that problem as a result of changing springs and struts to the Ti handling pkg.

Opinions?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Ok,, did some research in FF for suspension clunking w/ Ti handling pkg and now i'm worried about changing out my components to Ti components. Seems a lot of folks are having the problem and it's un-fixable at this point, or did i miss something?

For those of you w/ the clunking problem.... has it been resolved?

Bookmarks & Social Networks