2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #111
ngnash
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91251
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ngnash Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 focus auto tranny junk

Hey my 2012 focus se has the same grinding that everyone has been describing. The idle speed has also become erratic compared to when i first got it. It shifts hard and sometimes it will even slip out of gear. I absolutely love the car and the engine but im fed up with the transmission. Ford shouldn't have released these things until they did very thorough and extensive testing on them to make sure they wouldn't have these problems. When i got my focus i was thinking about getting a manual and i seriously regret not doing so.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #112
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I hope they will not give you answer like they did to me. :::(drive it for awhile, we (dealer) don't have a fix at this moment, but as soon as Ford will realese something we ll let you know). That's exactly words.
Now Iam on new car with rattle sound on up shifting.
I have a gut feeling this have something to do with cooling. I mentioned before, all my symptoms more aggressive after 50 miles round trip or hot day or heavy traffic in NYC.
Colder days approaching and I notice it less.
I've noticed two things recently.

1. Colder days it definitely is less loud.
2. Seems to happen more/louder when I make left turns.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #113
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 3,310, Level 35
Points: 3,310, Level: 35 Points: 3,310, Level: 35 Points: 3,310, Level: 35
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I've noticed two things recently.

1. Colder days it definitely is less loud.
2. Seems to happen more/louder when I make left turns.
1. Agreed.
2. Mine shudders when I make a right turn out of my alleyway every morning. Anyway, I guess turning affects it.

Also, I'm not sure if it's gear whine or the tires or clutches or just nothing, but does anyone else' car might a noise accelerating in 3rd(I think?)? It's not bad by any means and it's been there since I can remember. Kind of sounds like a space ship taking off. Only thing is that it's not a constant high-pitched whine. More like a womwomwomwomwowm getting higher pitched as it reaches 4th. And it doesn't always do it either.

meh. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #114
wassrock
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105163
What I Drive: 2012, black,sel

FF Reputation: 1 wassrock Good Standing Member
It was not disclosed at the time of my purchasing a Ford Focus 2012, that over time, 'noises' will be heard from the powershift 6 speed transmission while driving. If this had been disclosed I would not have purchased the Focus!! Who would buy a car knowing that noises are going to occur. At 8500 miles, they started and are increasing in noise and frequency. The dealership has had my Focus 5 weeks, I have not had a loaner as the 'engineers' say this is a normal characteristic for a Ford Focus. There is nothing to be done. The car is under warranty. I didn't purchase it to have 'noises' from the transmission occur and am dubious that it's not a safety issue. Friends were going to buy a Ford as I raved about my Focus prior to this occurring and now will not go near Ford and are declaring why they won't. The dealership states that they are at the mercy of Ford and cannot help me. So this is customer service?? this is good pr. My job requires that I have clients driving with me. They are asking me what's up with your car?? Why isn't something being done. I am asking the say question. Having been through the customer service line and hearing ad nauseum, We are sorry for the inconvenience. I don't believe that either. Do not buy Ford!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #115
wassrock
Focus Rookie

I would like an engineer have to put up with the noise and the betrayal of purchasing a new car and having a noise occur in the Ford Focus, that they knew would happen. No wonder America is sick of the auto industry and buys foreign.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #116
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,310, Level 35
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassrock View Post
I would like an engineer have to put up with the noise and the betrayal of purchasing a new car and having a noise occur in the Ford Focus, that they knew would happen. No wonder America is sick of the auto industry and buys foreign.
I know this is a Focus Fanatics website, but amen to that. You better believe that if a Ford engineer had this car that he would have had the clutches replaced by now!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #117
BottleGnome
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85769
What I Drive: 2012 SEL in Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 1 BottleGnome Good Standing Member
Well it looks like I can be added to the list of owners with a problem. My 2012 SEL started making noises recently and I kind of wrote it off that maybe I was hearing things. Over the last several days however, and especially since cooler weather has come in the noise has gotten more noticeable and is occurring more often. It is only noticeable in the lower gears as the car is accelerating between 0-20 mph, after that everything smooths out and the grinding noise disappears. Looks like a trip to the dealership Thursday for me to see what's going on.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #118
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 3,310, Level 35
Level Up 74% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleGnome View Post
My 2012 SEL started making noises recently and I kind of wrote it off that maybe I was hearing things. Over the last several days however, and especially since cooler weather has come in the noise has gotten more noticeable and is occurring more often. It is only noticeable in the lower gears as the car is accelerating between 0-20 mph, after that everything smooths out and the grinding noise disappears. Looks like a trip to the dealership
I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

I feel like my dealer should at least give me a sympathy card or a hug or something when they tell me the noises are normal and send me on my way.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #119
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,166, Level 34
Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34 Points: 3,166, Level: 34
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnash View Post
Hey my 2012 focus se has the same grinding that everyone has been describing. The idle speed has also become erratic compared to when i first got it. It shifts hard and sometimes it will even slip out of gear. I absolutely love the car and the engine but im fed up with the transmission...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassrock View Post
It was not disclosed at the time of my purchasing a Ford Focus 2012, that over time, 'noises' will be heard from the powershift 6 speed transmission while driving. If this had been disclosed I would not have purchased the Focus!! Who would buy a car knowing that noises are going to occur. At 8500 miles, they started and are increasing in noise and frequency. The dealership has had my Focus 5 weeks, I have not had a loaner as the 'engineers' say this is a normal characteristic for a Ford Focus. There is nothing to be done. The car is under warranty. I didn't purchase it to have 'noises' from the transmission occur and am dubious that it's not a safety issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleGnome View Post
Well it looks like I can be added to the list of owners with a problem. My 2012 SEL started making noises recently and I kind of wrote it off that maybe I was hearing things. Over the last several days however, and especially since cooler weather has come in the noise has gotten more noticeable and is occurring more often. It is only noticeable in the lower gears as the car is accelerating between 0-20 mph, after that everything smooths out and the grinding noise disappears. Looks like a trip to the dealership Thursday for me to see what's going on.
Hi there,

I want to jump in here and see how I can help. Please send me a PM so I can get each of you escalated to your region's customer service managers. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number. I'm on the case!

Thanks,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #120
wassrock
Focus Rookie

The KC Star had Ford earning billions this quarter....wonder why they cannot spare some change and get a fix for the Focus transmission issues?? Guess Customers are not their priority.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.