Annoying Door Panel Rattle - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you do not already know how, here is a good how to for getting the trim panels off:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276050
Be careful not to put putty where it could fall to the inside of the door shell. It would be a mess trying to clean that stuff out of a window regulator.
Good point about the reflectors I remember how easily they slid out when I took off my trim panels.
Good point about banging (beat lightly) to simulate vibrations.
What I suggested would probably only work to stop the trim panels from vibration caused by the sound system. It would be a bummer to pull the trim panels and not take that opportunity to fix and other rattles that may exist.
And yes I am sure the dealer probably would fix that - or try anyway. I really do not like having to go to the dealer, it is a hassle (take off work to sit around and wait) and so many times you get the NTF remark. I think if someone posts an inquiry here they are looking for a way to do it themselves. I give them credit for knowing in advance they can take it to the dealer.
Plus I like to do that sort of a thing as a hobby, you know putter around in the garage. I would rather make repairs I can do my self rather than let someone else work on my vehicle. I realize I am taking the risk of messing something up. Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Honestly, there's very little you can mess up by simply taking off a door panel. It's when you start dinking with the window mechanism that you can get into trouble. I consider myself fairly mechanically-inclined, but I took one look at that setup on my Optima and walked away. I envisioned a mess of cables & pullies and a window falling down inside the door. Not this kid. But rattles behind the door trip are easily fixed yourself if you're not inclined to spend the day at the dealership while the techs look for the unicorn.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson629 View Post
Does anyone know how to fix the annoying door panel rattle? It is especially annoying when the stereo is on. And no, I do not have my bass turned up.
Thanks
Hi cjanderson629,

Swing by your dealership; they're in the best position to track down that rattle and get it repaired. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
I know this sounds crazy, but a friend of mine told me about the years ago. I did it in my Tundra and it worked.
Dum Dum - Plumbers putty. You can ball it up and place it on the interior of the door panel where it will press against the door shell.
It does 2 things. One it causes the trim panel to fit tighter against the shell and it adds density to the trim panel which absorbs vibration.
It is fairly stable so it won't melt and drip into anything. Had it in the Tundra door panels for 8 or 9 years, never caused a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I have door rattles, but only when I have the stereo sound levels pretty high. I plan to use audio matting on the inside skin of the door (Dynamat or Fatmat), and some adhesive neoprene on the inside of the plastic panel.

One thing you should check: the screws in my doors (the ones behind the interior door handles) were fairly loose from the factory and tightening them made a difference in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
You own a brand new car, you have a warranty for these kinds of things, take it to the dealer and have them try to fix it before you tear apart your door and make things worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns098356GX View Post
Check the little reflectors on the inside of the door. I found mine would rattle constantly with the stereo on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
If you do not already know how, here is a good how to for getting the trim panels off:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276050
Be careful not to put putty where it could fall to the inside of the door shell. It would be a mess trying to clean that stuff out of a window regulator.
Good point about the reflectors I remember how easily they slid out when I took off my trim panels.
Good point about banging (beat lightly) to simulate vibrations.
What I suggested would probably only work to stop the trim panels from vibration caused by the sound system. It would be a bummer to pull the trim panels and not take that opportunity to fix and other rattles that may exist.
And yes I am sure the dealer probably would fix that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Honestly, there's very little you can mess up by simply taking off a door panel. It's when you start dinking with the window mechanism that you can get into trouble. I consider myself fairly mechanically-inclined, but I took one look at that setup on my Optima and walked away. I envisioned a mess of cables & pullies and a window falling down inside the door. Not this kid. But rattles behind the door trip are easily fixed yourself if you're not inclined to spend the day at the dealership while the techs look for the unicorn.
Thanks for all the good advice, folks! As always, I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Send me a PM and I'll do what I can to help.

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
wgilles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91264
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 wgilles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Then take it to another dealer. Its a FORD waranty not a dealer waranty, If they wont fix it there are proper channels to take to get it fixed.

and I had a rattle as well in my 12 HB. The I ended up spending all day at the dealer, and several techs looked at the car, drove the car. AND GOT IT FIXED. sure I wasted the day at the dealer which sucks, but they got it taken care of.
Ok, well not to be rude, but how about a little help? Did the dealer tell you what was causing the rattling or where it was coming from? If so, please share with the community here for the DIYers or people who might not have another dealer around to take it to.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgilles View Post
Ok, well not to be rude, but how about a little help? Did the dealer tell you what was causing the rattling or where it was coming from? If so, please share with the community here for the DIYers or people who might not have another dealer around to take it to.
My rattle ended up being a heat shield. But before they came to that conclusion the also thought it was the seat. They replaced the seat rails as they thought that was the issue, and when it wasnt they continued to hunt down the rattle and got it fixed.

My point here is these kind of things is what your warranty is for. Im all for tinkering around on my cars, and ive done A LOT to both my focii, but when you have a warranty to fix it, and your not responsible for breaking anything, you pay nothing out of pocket then why not take it in. I know its a pita sometimes, but screwing something up when you dont have to could cost more and create more problems that your then responsible for.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
My rear passenger door panel rattles when there's a slight vibration going through the car such as certain cracks in the road.
My rear driver's door panel rattles with the music on on certain frequencies.

However I seem to have found what part of the door panel vibrates on the passenger side and will try to wedge something between there and the metal to keep pressure on it.
The driver side I'm stumped.

Anyways I'm not sure if something was wrong with my passenger rear door panel. I noticed it wasn't clicked in all the way a few days ago. It had a huge gap compared to the other side. I found that it wasn't clipped into place properly and had to somehow push really hard before I got it clicked in
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
I recently started noticing a slight vibration noise coming from the front passenger side of the car one day. I kept leaning my head over to that area and touching the headliner, sun-visor, glove box, etc. The noise didn't stop until I grabbed the door handle and pulled it toward me (like closing it). I plan to to go over the door carefully when I have some time and make sure all the little screws, etc are nice and snug.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
when i took the panels off my focus i noticed a majority of the pannel clips have a gap in the retention area. i used some roof flashing adhesive (my father calls it poor mans dynamat) against the clips and the rattle went away except for one that was comming from the speaker....ordered new speakers so hopefully that will take care of everything
Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
I have door panel rattles. I have a bunch of 1/8" adhesive foam from my kayaking gear that I installed near the rear of the door panel on the passenger side. It seems to have cleared up the rattle which is mainly caused by stereo bass. There is a visible gap in the edge of the door panel where it meet the metal shell of the door. If I put a little pressure on it the rattle goes away. I was thinking of trying little bits of expanding foam since I could probably apply it without removing the entire door panel and it would stick to the contact spots unlike foam. Just need to make sure I don't apply too much and keep pressure on it until it sets up. I'm also looking at sound deadening material such as Dynamat but not liking the cost.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by peridigm View Post
I have door panel rattles. I have a bunch of 1/8" adhesive foam from my kayaking gear that I installed near the rear of the door panel on the passenger side. It seems to have cleared up the rattle which is mainly caused by stereo bass. There is a visible gap in the edge of the door panel where it meet the metal shell of the door. If I put a little pressure on it the rattle goes away. I was thinking of trying little bits of expanding foam since I could probably apply it without removing the entire door panel and it would stick to the contact spots unlike foam. Just need to make sure I don't apply too much and keep pressure on it until it sets up. I'm also looking at sound deadening material such as Dynamat but not liking the cost.
I used Dum Dum or plumbers putty on my Tundra. The putty is stable it won't melt. You can shape it to any form you need. I stuck it to the trim panel in areas where it would press against the door shell when I snapped the trim panel back in place.
Had it in there for several years, it worked great and never caused a problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->