2013 Ford Focus Transmission - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My dealer told me that he didn’t replace the clutch but that there was (allegedly) a PCM update. I’m guessing that he probably just re-flashed the old update.

Ugh. I can afford to replace the clutch myself, but it’s the principle that I don’t think I should have to considering I’ve been complaining about clutch issues for over a year. Not to mention I’ll need a car. Maybe I’ll just do it during my “vacation.”

EDIT: Just told the guy sitting next to me to buy the new Subaru and not an ST. Boomsauce. (It's not about the cars; the cars that work are great. It's about Ford making me jump through hoops to get things fixed... and still not fixing them.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
My dealer told me that he didnít replace the clutch but that there was (allegedly) a PCM update. Iím guessing that he probably just re-flashed the old update.
I'm going to see my dealer on Monday, maybe they will take care of the issues not like the dealers near me. The good thing is that it will be a drive for me to get there and hopefully it will start to react how it always does because right now it seems kind of okay. And luckily there will be a technician in the car with me and I will make sure he drives it in stop and go situations and highway. Maybe this will help with my case.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #33
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
EDIT: Just told the guy sitting next to me to buy the new Subaru and not an ST. Boomsauce. (It's not about the cars; the cars that work are great. It's about Ford making me jump through hoops to get things fixed... and still not fixing them.)
You make a good point.

That's why I can't understand someone trading in their troublesome Focus for a ST.

If Ford/the dealer can not/will not fix the problems with one car, what will happen if/when you have problems with the next one?

It's not just about the car, it's also about the service.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #34
blackhillsken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104089
What I Drive: 2013 SE Ruby Red hatch

FF Reputation: 1 blackhillsken Good Standing Member
Got a 2013 SE hatch. The first 300 miles were freakin horrible. I figured it was just the price to pay for good mileage. Hesitation, dead throttle areas, shuddering from a stop. After 300 miles, the hesitation and dead throttle got incredibly better, but still have the shuddering at 1000 miles. Before the other thread started ("Think I figured out the shuddering...."), I did try turning off the traction control and noticed the shuddering went away. Big props to the OP of that thread for bringing it to everyone's attention.
So, only based on my own experience, looks like some of the '13s might still have the "Traction Control Shudder" (new TCS for short)
Waiting for a software update.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
blackhillsken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Got a 2013 SE hatch. The first 300 miles were freakin horrible. I figured it was just the price to pay for good mileage. Hesitation, dead throttle areas, shuddering from a stop. After 300 miles, the hesitation and dead throttle got incredibly better, but still have the shuddering at 1000 miles. Before the other thread started ("Think I figured out the shuddering...."), I did try turning off the traction control and noticed the shuddering went away. Big props to the OP of that thread for bringing it to everyone's attention.
So, only based on my own experience, looks like some of the '13s might still have the "Traction Control Shudder" (new TCS for short)
Waiting for a software update.
Update:
Had the DCT in "traction off" mode two days ago (trying to impress my girlfriend with the smooth takeoff from stops), and while leaving a traffic light, the damn thing bucked like a manual that you forgot to push in the clutch coming to a stop. Coffee in hand would be on the floor. This was taking off from a standstill and not pushing it hard, either. Maybe that was my mistake (not flooring it). Another time the same day, the trans rattled as if you were in a manual trans car in first gear at very low speed and you loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded the drivetrain a little as fast as you could with the throttle. Mostly a gear backlash noise. Very random happening as the ride to work today was flawless. One difference between the bucking day and today is the bucking day had more stop and go driving which must have heated up the trans and clutches.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #36
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
You make a good point.

That's why I can't understand someone trading in their troublesome Focus for a ST.

If Ford/the dealer can not/will not fix the problems with one car, what will happen if/when you have problems with the next one?

It's not just about the car, it's also about the service.
To a degree I agree and to a degree I disagree. If people don't mind the MFT issues so much getting an ST2 or 3 is one thing, but trading up to an ST1 isn't so bad. Sure you don't get the Recaro's but you get MyFord w/ SYNC, a pretty slick hot hatch that as far as driving goes has been getting rave reviews thus far.

So for some, the down(or up)grade from MFT and DCT to MFw/S and the 6MT is a welcome change.

But that said... the service is certainly lacking, if I were at that crossroads and could afford to trade the Focus in already, I'd get another Mazdaspeed 3 instead.
Sonic Crew #28 | Rally Revolution #117
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #37
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Update:
Had the DCT in "traction off" mode two days ago (trying to impress my girlfriend with the smooth takeoff from stops), and while leaving a traffic light, the damn thing bucked like a manual that you forgot to push in the clutch coming to a stop. Coffee in hand would be on the floor. This was taking off from a standstill and not pushing it hard, either. Maybe that was my mistake (not flooring it). Another time the same day, the trans rattled as if you were in a manual trans car in first gear at very low speed and you loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded the drivetrain a little as fast as you could with the throttle. Mostly a gear backlash noise. Very random happening as the ride to work today was flawless. One difference between the bucking day and today is the bucking day had more stop and go driving which must have heated up the trans and clutches.
My 2013 (8/8/12 build) has never "bucked" as bad as you described... and I never have traction control off. Sure, sometimes the 1-2 shift is not as smooth as the other gears but that's not in issue for me since I drove manuals all my life. Maybe you should get on the throttle a little more at take off. Also, yes the transmission can rattle at low speeds...I notice it when I'm driving through a parking lot with lots of speed bumps but it's not a big deal for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #38
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
But that said... the service is certainly lacking, if I were at that crossroads and could afford to trade the Focus in already, I'd get another Mazdaspeed 3 instead.
I had a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 (genpu) and I didn't like it... At first it was great because of all the power and torque but that got old fast. The car can't launch well because of bad stock motor mounts and one of the worst shifters I've ever dealt with. Clutch takeup was very inconsistent and if you're hard on the throttle (like you're supposed to be), it seemed to fight you all the way. A 2011 GTI, although a bit slower, has a much better stick. Also, a DSG GTI will do 0-60 faster than a MS3... and it has 200hp compared to 260 in the Mazda. Oh, and the MS3 is freakin noisy. Road and wind noise is all you hear (because of terrible Dunlops) and it gets deafening on the highway. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Well, it's been a tad over a week since I picked up my '13

I have 1078 miles and no shudder. Somewhere in the middle around 200-400mi it did shudder gently on take off but it smoothed out after the 600mi mark. Been buttery smooth since then.
However I can get it to jerk a hard shift if I randomly romp on the gas and get it to rip through 1st then slam into 2nd but that's to be expected.. it's not a traditional auto
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #40
blackhillsken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
My 2013 (8/8/12 build) has never "bucked" as bad as you described... and I never have traction control off. Sure, sometimes the 1-2 shift is not as smooth as the other gears but that's not in issue for me since I drove manuals all my life. Maybe you should get on the throttle a little more at take off. Also, yes the transmission can rattle at low speeds...I notice it when I'm driving through a parking lot with lots of speed bumps but it's not a big deal for me.
I do prefer a solid shift from an auto. Always hated the "slide" into gear of other cars. I'll beat it up more & see if the clutches really do need some break-in like I've heard. Maybe in my quest for mileage, I've been too easy on this one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks