Synthetic oils - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Synthetic oils

So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?

Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
md2009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?
Well. I would say they do have a better advertising budget...

But in all seriousness, there are a couple of ways to approach this subject.

First - would could look at virgin oil analysis (VOA) and determine what they are using for additives. The plus side is that we would have an idea of what is going into the oils. The down side is that a "good" VOA may not translate to a good oil analysis - meaning the oil may show good properties during the clean analysis but may have the same (or worse) wear as a differently formulated oil. Finally, there are some additives which may not show up during a VOA. Most famously is Valvoline, which seems to use some additives which don't show up during VOAs. Yet, somehow people still seem to get decent oil analysis out of these oils... so is it a lack of additives, or just different additives? Only the scientists with the proprietary information will ever know..

Second - oil analysis. Run theirs for 8500 and then sample, then run mobil 1 for 8500 and sample. Its not 100% scientific, but it does give a CLOSER idea of which oil is working better.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2009 View Post
Well. I would say they do have a better advertising budget...

But in all seriousness, there are a couple of ways to approach this subject.

First - would could look at virgin oil analysis (VOA) and determine what they are using for additives. The plus side is that we would have an idea of what is going into the oils. The down side is that a "good" VOA may not translate to a good oil analysis - meaning the oil may show good properties during the clean analysis but may have the same (or worse) wear as a differently formulated oil. Finally, there are some additives which may not show up during a VOA. Most famously is Valvoline, which seems to use some additives which don't show up during VOAs. Yet, somehow people still seem to get decent oil analysis out of these oils... so is it a lack of additives, or just different additives? Only the scientists with the proprietary information will ever know..

Second - oil analysis. Run theirs for 8500 and then sample, then run mobil 1 for 8500 and sample. Its not 100% scientific, but it does give a CLOSER idea of which oil is working better.
I have been using Mobil 1 for yrs, then the Pennzoil guys say their stuff is cleanest synthetic out there. I guess I'll stick to Mobil 1.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Misplaced self aggrandizing useless blather............who cares how clean the oil runs?

Modern oils run so clean that even the conventional non-synthetic ones leave engines clean as a whistle inside even after 150K+ miles.

Analyze the oil???

This would be like bitching about 2/10th of a degree of error in a front end alignment when the tires will never know it, although there are those here who do that aplenty too.

Quite simply a total waste of time.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Misplaced self aggrandizing useless blather............who cares how clean the oil runs?

Modern oils run so clean that even the conventional non-synthetic ones leave engines clean as a whistle inside even after 150K+ miles.

Analyze the oil???

This would be like bitching about 2/10th of a degree of error in a front end alignment when the tires will never know it, although there are those here who do that aplenty too.

The Pennzoil people are saying that their oil cleans out your motor more than others. And w/ that I was wondering if they, Pennzoil has more detergents or what, thats all. No big deal, I just see the adds in a lot of magzines.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra only because of the lower NOACK numbers. 6.4% vs 11% for Mobil1. The low NOACK numbers are better for D.I. engines. Not really concerned with the 'cleanliness', as pretty much any syn will keep parts as clean as they need to be.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
qweesy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12042
What I Drive: 2004 focus Duratec 2.3 RS (DEAD)

FF Reputation: 3 qweesy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Penzoil and their wax base "candle stick" oil BS same with Quaker state , Mobil 1 or Amsoil are best
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
voortrek3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 487
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 voortrek3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I like the MOTORCRAFT full syn.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
md2009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Analyze the oil???

If you find no value in an oil analysis, you are either uneducated as to the purpose of the analysis or uneducated as to how to read an analysis. There is valuable information to be had.

Notice I said uneducated and not ignorant. If you are willfully ignorant of the advantages to oil analysis then I cannot help you.

I do suggest you educated yourself on the subject before painting that broad stroke. Otherwise you’re being just ignorant.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Thank you.

Look at a dictionary for the definition of the word 'value', it means getting something of higher worth for lesser cost. I do not consider oil analysis to be of great 'value' to the common man even though I know what it does. It costs too much to show things that can be logically deduced without the added cost. There are enough facts in books out there to make plenty educated 'guesses', you might say, that will have excellent outcomes in 99.5% of the cases without the need for splitting atoms on the oil. Very close to the arguing that goes onsite here all day long about say 2/10ths of a degree error in computer alignments, quite simply wasted time there too. I can say that having worked on thousands of vehicles including some pretty high output ones and simply never needed to analyze oil. Gotta wonder how the world ever kept spinning without it in the old days don't you?

Now, if I were in control of a fleet, maybe, but on a single owner vehicle, no way. I've got Bobtheoilguy for that. Being able to read is a far better value than analyzing oil.

Broad stroke? I submit that since most DON'T do it, it REQUIRES a broad stroke, there's far more of us than of you (those who seem to consider it necessary and of high value).....................

Value?

Here's some. I use conventional oil at 7500 miles oil changes, the last 5 cars I've bought are still running fine, I can't seem to break them. Collectively 850,000+ miles there and not one analysis, no synthetic oil either. If I go under valve covers the motors are clean as a whistle. Someone tell me how much money I've saved to do other things with.........................................that's value jack.

Not 'willfully ignorant', I have just tuned oil analysis out as nice but not necessary in my world. I do take note also that all the OEMs do not require it to maintain warranties either. I'm just taking the same leap of faith they do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks