Driving in sport mode shifting from 2-3 problem? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just got a call from the dealership had it for 5 hrs and oh it's normal for a delay from 2-3 but not any other gears... Wtf am I supposed to do.. Basically said he doesn't think it's anything mechanical. An there is no new updates for the car... Big waste of time ford is useless I knew I should of just got a Honda...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
Just got a call from the dealership had it for 5 hrs and oh it's normal for a delay from 2-3 but not any other gears... Wtf am I supposed to do.. Basically said he doesn't think it's anything mechanical. An there is no new updates for the car... Big waste of time ford is useless I knew I should of just got a Honda...
I'm seriously disappointed to hear this and I can't believe it was designed this way. There's no predictability and I feel it's borderline unsafe.

I'm going to see what the tech says at my service appointment next week but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogosu View Post
I'm seriously disappointed to hear this and I can't believe it was designed this way. There's no predictability and I feel it's borderline unsafe.

I'm going to see what the tech says at my service appointment next week but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Let us know. I am confident pulling the battery wires and the system re-learning will fix this, but I don't want to do that again.... it's a massive pain in the ass afterwards.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
Let us know. I am confident pulling the battery wires and the system re-learning will fix this, but I don't want to do that again.... it's a massive pain in the ass afterwards.
My appointment is on Wednesday and I'll post the result by end of that day.

What's involved with doing a reset? Pull the battery and wait for 10min?
Do we lose our gas mileage info, radio station presets, bluetooth pairing info etc? Will the car perform like a slug since it will need to relearn everything?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
sogosu
Focus Rookie

*Sigh* just got back from the dealer and it was what I expected.
The service rep told me the tech confirmed it to be normal driving characteristics of the car. She did say that 3 other people had already come in this month describing the same symptoms and were all told the same thing.
She also made a call to the tech service hotline and was some sent pages of a document. It contained nothing describing the issue.

I'm going to pull the battery and do a reset when I install my CAI later this week but I'm skeptical it will do anything.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Open a file with Ford Customer Service and maybe wait it out for an ecu update? I can already tell this will bug me down the road. Why doesn't it shift when I want it to?
I kind of wish I had waited for the ST to become more available or found a manual in another brand.

Very disappointed with Ford for brushing this off when more than a few people have raised the issue already.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The service rep told me the tech confirmed it to be normal driving characteristics of the car. She did say that 3 other people had already come in this month describing the same symptoms and were all told the same thing.
She also made a call to the tech service hotline and was some sent pages of a document. It contained nothing describing the issue.

I'm going to pull the battery and do a reset when I install my CAI later this week but I'm skeptical it will do anything.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Open a file with Ford Customer Service and maybe wait it out for an ecu update? I can already tell this will bug me down the road. Why doesn't it shift when I want it to?
I kind of wish I had waited for the ST to become more available or found a manual in another brand.

Very disappointed with Ford for brushing this off when more than a few people have raised the issue already.
Yes very disappointing to hear, how is it normal for only 2-3 to have a delay... Obviously not... I hope something happens soon.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

Points 452, Level 9
Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9 Points: 452, Level: 9
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:

I wouldn't call it unpredictable if you know that it's going to happen; it's annoying, but much better than a delay in the same gears downshifting.

Anyway, I have the same issue after getting my clutch replaced. After some testing I found an interesting thing - after you shift from 2->3, then immediately shift back down to 2 then back up to 3, there is no delay.

I'm hoping that breaking in the clutches will alleviate the problem.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,661, Level 38
Points: 3,661, Level: 38 Points: 3,661, Level: 38 Points: 3,661, Level: 38
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:

What you described is likely a function of the TCM programming. In that case, there is nothing that the dealer can do at this moment.

With all of the feedback about shuddering and traction control, it is likely that Ford engineers are currently working on a new calibration (firmware) for the TCM.

Do you get a 2 to 3 shift delay if you shift at a higher RPM (4000~5000)?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Until I went in for the recall my shifting was perfectly fine. Post recall, 2-3 is lagged. At very high RPM's it is normal.

I'm led to believe resetting the TCM with a battery pull may resolve the issue - but I'm not confident it's a surefire fix and depends more-so on your specific driving habits afterwards.

It is not okay that your dealer told you there is nothing they can do. I know there are ford rep's on this website that we may be able to talk to, maybe we should try that?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,103, Level 34
Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34 Points: 3,103, Level: 34
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey gang,

If any of you are having difficulty shifting, or delay when shifting, I want to get your cases escalated to regional customer service managers. To do this, I'll need a little information from you (sent via PM): your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, estimated mileage, full name, and daytime phone number. I'll get your information in the right hands and make sure someone contacts you soon.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask via PM as well.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks