Speedometer Lighting - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #41
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just go 40mph. You'll be fine.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #42
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
Imo ford did a poor job with the guages. They are not as well designed as they should be. Ford should consult vw to see how it should b done. Te binnacle should be rounder and higher as tall drivers have difficulty seeing it well. Also the guages should b angled up toward the driver more
Agreed, these gauges are pretty bad.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #43
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
I don't understand why anyone would buy a car without sitting in the driver's seat in both day and night and liking everything before they commit. Because why buy something you are not happy with? In a 2012 Jetta that I test drove at night the gauges were horible. At the maximum setting for brightness they were only about half as bright as the Focus gauges. The Mazda 3 was too noisy inside and the Elantra Touring had too many internal rattles from loose door panels or something. The Fiesta was too small and the Corolla too boring
Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
Litterbug
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104950
What I Drive: 2013 Dark Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Litterbug Good Standing Member
We purchased our Focus on a Cloudy day. Glare or Vision was a non-issue. It is a issue for me at times in this Florida Sun. I have Glare off of the Dash, Glare off of the steering column, Glare off of the polished metal on the steering wheel and the silver trim around the gauges is also a distraction at times.... It just depends on the angle of the light from the Sun. I would like to add some Wattage to the back of the gauges. Dealer told me today that there is not any part #'s for 2013/2012 Cluster Bulbs. The part's diagram only shows the front of the cluster. The Part's Dept says the replacement Cluster is $289.... Ford gets this Cluster direct from United Radio. So I may have to hunt them down for more Info. I am also going to remove the Cluster when the Dear Wife is away. She would not understand taking a 2 week old car's dash apart.... I have a feeling the lighting is soldered into the circuit board.. Their is a Led Kit for the 2012 Focus Cluster that you have to solder 20/25 Leds to the circuit board. That would be challenging or a $289 mistake, plus the $39 Kit price..... I did trade in a 2008 Buick Enclave, which is a different car.. Like apples and oranges. O-Well... At least I did not buy it at Night in the Rain..... A custom dash cover would help with the glare on the top side of the dash, but they are Ugly.... I will find a fix or live with it... It is a nice driving car. It seems bigger when behind the wheel driving.....

Litterbug in Sunny Fl.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #45
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy a car without sitting in the driver's seat in both day and night and liking everything before they commit. Because why buy something you are not happy with? In a 2012 Jetta that I test drove at night the gauges were horible. At the maximum setting for brightness they were only about half as bright as the Focus gauges. The Mazda 3 was too noisy inside and the Elantra Touring had too many internal rattles from loose door panels or something. The Fiesta was too small and the Corolla too boring
For me in this case the gauges were something i didnt notice right off with my several test drives under daylight conditions. It was only after living with the car for a while that this issue became evident
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #46
Litterbug
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104950
What I Drive: 2013 Dark Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Litterbug Good Standing Member
Update: on sun glare, off dash, steering wheel, and hard to see speedometer. I have not found any accurate Info on the lights in the instrument cluster. I have not removed it yet, to see what exactly what light the cluster. But I did find a Led Kit, it includes 20 leds that need to be soldered to circuit board. But the seller of the Kit does not know for sure if it works for a 2013 Focus, same part #'s for 2012 & 2013 Focus. 2011 has a different part #....The Instrument Cluster is a $290 part, so I have to think about this led retro.

What I have found out, is if I raise the seat to near Max Height, I am looking at the speedometer on a downward angle. It did make it easier to read the speed. It also help some what with the dash top glare. I also tried laying a black tee shirt on the driver's side of the dash board. The Glare is not an issue with black cloth material laying on top of the dash. I still have sun glare off the polished aluminum on the steering wheel.
So I am thinking about a CoverKing Suede or Velour custom fit dash mat. I got some material samples for the dash mat, and I maybe able to live with it. It is not the old rug style looking dash mats.
But raising the seat helped me with seeing the speedometer.. I guess it all has to do with angles. But Brighter cluster back lights, I hope one day to have a fix...
Litterbug in Fl.

Last edited by Litterbug; 10-29-2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling and addition info
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #47
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
Imo ford did a poor job with the guages. They are not as well designed as they should be. Ford should consult vw to see how it should b done. Te binnacle should be rounder and higher as tall drivers have difficulty seeing it well. Also the guages should b angled up toward the driver more
i agree. they are as bad as i've seen on any car.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #48
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
some issues just aren't a deal killer.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #49
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
No, not from what I've been told or what I've seen, they changed the number spacing for some unexplained reason. Its got wider spacing between numbers but it doesn't appear to be better to me.

Instead of marking off every 10 mph it only marks numerically at 20 mph intervals.

2012 Ford Focus gauges.

2013 Focus gauges, not showing every 10 mph increment anymore
I'm glad to see that my speedo is marked all the way to 150. Those with the 2013's can only do an indicated 140, so I'm always gonna be faster.

RACECAR
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #50
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Of all my years working on cars and reading car forums, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone complaining about gauges. This debate is a new and interesting concept to me. Carry on

Bookmarks & Social Networks