My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 30 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #291
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
Can't wait to see that sample, as it will still have some life left in it.

Still waiting for 3rd party testing proof that API SN Ultra has a NOACK that low. That's still up in the air.

You are also sacrificing frictional coefficient and efficiency with Ultra since it's a hydrocracked petroleum product.
Can you point to third party testing confirming Amsoil's Noack? Ultra's base stocks are GTL-derived, so not hydrocracked petroleum, at least as I understand the term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #292
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Can you point to third party testing confirming Amsoil's Noack? Ultra's base stocks are GTL-derived, so not hydrocracked petroleum, at least as I understand the term.
No need, it's proven to be a 100% PAO/Ester blend, so we know what NOACK should be.

If the new GTL process yields such amazing NOACK, why does Mobil 1 still not post NOACK on their spec sheets. That should be something to brag about, but we know the truth.

Everyone here be patient, in a few more months, a dedicated UOA thread will arise showing Amsoil Signature Series kicking everything else in the teeth.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #293
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
No need, it's proven to be a 100% PAO/Ester blend, so we know what NOACK should be.

If the new GTL process yields such amazing NOACK, why does Mobil 1 still not post NOACK on their spec sheets. That should be something to brag about, but we know the truth.

Everyone here be patient, in a few more months, a dedicated UOA thread will arise showing Amsoil Signature Series kicking everything else in the teeth.
AFAIK, Mobil 1 doesn't use GTL base stocks: Ultra seems to be the only US mass-market GTL game in town.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #294
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
AFAIK, Mobil 1 doesn't use GTL base stocks: Ultra seems to be the only US mass-market GTL game in town.
From my understanding, it is still speculation that Shell is using GTL stock in Ultra. That speculation is based upon the low published NOAK in the SN data sheet. Shell has announced the Pearl GTL plant in Qatar is now up to full capacity, but I have yet to see any proof that Ultra is derived from those stocks.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #295
dan50
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
From my understanding, it is still speculation that Shell is using GTL stock in Ultra. That speculation is based upon the low published NOAK in the SN data sheet. Shell has announced the Pearl GTL plant in Qatar is now up to full capacity, but I have yet to see any proof that Ultra is derived from those stocks.
True, but Shell did report its first delivery to the US of GTL base stocks from Qatar anout the time the new SN formulation of Ultra was introduced. Shell has said a primary use of GTL base stocks is in premium lubricants and Ultra is their top-of-the-line lubricant in North America. Plus the low Noack, of course, which is a natural consequence of GTL base stocks.

Shell, Mobil, etc. don't typically divulge much information about the composition of their oils so we're unlikely to get a definitive answer. But it sure looks like GTL to me.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #296
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I agree that the speculation possibly has some merit...

It won't be too long before I will be able to post a Blackstone analysis of PU. OCI will be in the 8-10K mile range.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #297
Beeten
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94225
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE Hatch, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Beeten Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
Regardless of type of oil, CONSUMPTION usually starts taking place from 5000 miles on up. That is why people that go for lengthy OCI's usually have to do some top-offs during the period between 5000 - 10,000 mile mark you were going for. That might be as little as 1/2 of a quart or maybe even up to a quart.

Of course you will get many opinions on the subject here :)
Sigh... Ain't that the truth. Thanks to those who provided info on oil consumption. I'll keep a closer eye on it. It does look like it's somewhat higher than normal, but we'll see.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #298
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Okay, here is my opinion on the whole oil change issue:

Despite what the manufactures tell you, and the internet, and magazines, etc. Get a good quality oil and change it often. Clean oil protects your engine. PERIOD.
True.

So why were the figures changed?

"Peak oil" or is that a myth? (One could also say an engine worn out sooner by dirty oil would help the auto industry up due to more people purchasing new/replacement cars...)

Quote:
If you are using a conventional oil or semi-synthetic why not use the age old 3000mi interval? The stuff is cheap! I hear all of this debate on the internet, in articles, etc. about using your oil longer, but we spend more on a tank of gas each week than on an oil change! Think about it. Why are people so desperate to extend their intervals when we go though gas like crazy (but that is okay [well, except for the price gouging])?
Anything to reduce usage is not a bad thing. Which is another reason to give ethanol the boot...

Quote:
A freaking cartridge of printer ink costs more than an oil change!!!!
The home printer manufacturers sell the main units at a loss. The profit is made up for in the ink cartridges, whose microchips prevent third party brands from being used...

Quote:
I use synthetic oil in everything. If the car has a decent oil capacity (like the Focus) for its engine size, use, and output then I change it every 5000mi and use a good quality filter (Motorcraft or Mobil-1). If the capacity is low (like my wife's Protege 5 at 3.7 quarts) I change it just like conventional oil (3000mi).

If it is a high performance vehicle that is driven often (like my old Lightning and MS3), I change the synthetic at 3000mi.

It is cheap insurance. We are not killing ourselves financially by doing so. Your car will last longer as well.

Even the "saving the environment" argument is silly...oil can be recycled!
A longer lasting car doesn't hurt either, thinking of all the junkyards where old cars go away to rust to dust...

I'd no idea oil can be recycled, but if it can be cleaned and re-used... or made into plastic...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #299
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Mobil 1 uses VISOM, that is their stepping stone into GTL.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #300
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Bump - For the excellent information contained within it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->