Warning about K&N Intake - Page 24 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #231
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yes its loud! Im about to take mine off if my modifications don't quiet it down some. My maf was way off from center but it didn't make contact on the side. I've tried lining the metal shroud with dynomat type stuff and it made it quieter but not at the resonance level still around 3500 to 4200 it resonates so bad ,trim in the cabin rattles..... Im talking about rattles that only happen at volume level15+ with a 12 inch sub pushed with 420 watts rms lol.

Im making a lid for mine and try to seal it up a little. Then maybe install the factory airbox resonates tube in the kn bottom plate.
Sonic Crew #012 E-123 Omega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #232
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Now you all have me wondering if mine is too loud. It doesn't seem too loud, but then again, I listen to music at all times and that tends to drown out the noise.
HN #167
Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #233
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92046
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 hoover460 Good Standing Member
Just wanted to confirm, TboneZX3's mod works well! My MAF housing was already worn at the bottom where it was contacting the metal. Doing this mod has eliminated the contact, and the resonance I was experiencing. I will also try switching to premium on my next few tanks.
I hope Troy is still following this thread, as they need to implement these changes into the design. I am very happy with it now, but was considering removing it before due to the noise. The up and down slot for the MAF mount needs to be moved up 1/4", and the rubber mounts need to be 1/8" thicker. This would prevent housing contact. Thanks again everyone for the info, and especially TboneZX3 for the mod! I would encourage everyone to do this until they fix the kit.
BTW, someone mentioned "hook" velcro where the filter mounts, and I did that as well, it added friction and a lip for the filter and clamp, great idea! 4 thin pieces on the 4 protrusions so that the clamp sits just behind them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using FF Mobile
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #234
troy-knfilters
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85424
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Taurus SE (FFV) Vulcan

FF Reputation: 1 troy-knfilters Good Standing Member
Hello Everyone,

I have not heard back from the engineers on this yet, I just wanted to pop in and say that I have not forgotten and I will let you know if there are any changes!

Troy.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #235
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy-knfilters View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have not heard back from the engineers on this yet, I just wanted to pop in and say that I have not forgotten and I will let you know if there are any changes!

Troy.
Thanks for the update Troy.

It's good to see that folks are benefitting from my modifications (see this post for instructions). Please feel free to hand out rep points if it works for you!

hoover460, thanks for the pics of the velcro--that does indeed look like a good idea.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #236
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Wanted to give an update on the velcro trick. I had to pull mine back off, it seems the velcro is "slippery" enough (even the hook) that I have the filter falling off every couple of hundred miles or so. I have removed it and just tightened the filter down on the housing. I will update as I have results, but it fell off 4-5 times in the last month or so with the velcro. Man does it run bad when that happens!
I wish K&N would just fix this with a new housing that has a lip to hold the filter in place, and one that doesn't break if you tighten it down a bit. Hopefully Troy is still following this. I have to say, this is the most trouble I have ever had with one of these, and it's making me consider just going back to stock.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #237
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

I've have put 10,000 miles on my K&N Typhoon now, and have never had the filter fall off the MAF housing, or even come loose. Some of those miles have been on very rough, washboard gravel too.

If I were you, I would figure out the issue or re-install the stock filter box. Try cleaning the I.D. of the filter flange with alcohol (and the O.D. of the MAF housing) before reinstalling it. You could also buy a new MAF housing if you think that is the problem--they are very cheap.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #238
hoover460
Focus Enthusiast

Definitely rough roads here as well. I think the velcro didn't allow the rubber to "grip" onto the housing, and I have to admit, I think I left it too loose because of all the warnings on here. The filter seemed to have more drag without the velcro, and I did tighten it up more this time. It's just frustrating that we have to be so careful, and yes I know the housings are cheap, but I travel and have no time to get to a dealer for parts when they are open. It's just not the level I expected from K&N, given I've installed 10 of these or so and never had any problems from the others.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #239
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Yeah, I understand...

One thing I've considered is to buy another MAF housing and just keep it in the car with me just in case. I'm pretty satisfied that mine isn't going to give me troubles again after 10K miles though.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #240
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
K&N, please note you would have a new customer if you fixed this issue, but until then count me out.

Alan
Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->