Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 176 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #1751
mjb457
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96645
What I Drive: 12 Focus SE , 03 PT Cruiser GT

Points 767, Level 14
Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14 Points: 767, Level: 14
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 mjb457 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trans

If you serach this site the majority of the issues are on the DCT... Crystal from Ford does a nice job interfacing with the various dealers... Why does Ford not just extend the warranties for 10years --125k miles for the DCT for all 2012 & 2013 Focus models until the problem is fixed... it would eliminate all and any fear... just a thought...MJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #1752
raywal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102946
What I Drive: 2012 tuxedo black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 0 raywal Newbie
Probably because it would cost them too much money.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #1753
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,106, Level 34
Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34 Points: 3,106, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb457 View Post
If you serach this site the majority of the issues are on the DCT... Crystal from Ford does a nice job interfacing with the various dealers... Why does Ford not just extend the warranties for 10years --125k miles for the DCT for all 2012 & 2013 Focus models until the problem is fixed... it would eliminate all and any fear... just a thought...MJB
Hi mjb457,

Thanks for the praise! I really do try to do all I can to help folks out. Unfortunately I don't have the authority to extend warranties, but you can always call your customer service manager or contact your dealership to provide them with your feedback on the topic.

If you need anything from me, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Have a great day!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #1754
SportyChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104205
What I Drive: 2012 FocusTitanium Hatchback - sold

FF Reputation: 1 SportyChick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey SportyChick,

Have you been in touch with your CSM? I'm happy to give them a nudge if you'd like them to get involved. Just send me a PM and I'll get on the case!

Thanks,
Crystal
Thank you Crystal for your offer, I'll contact you if I absolutely have to, last resort kinda thing.

I just prefer to resolve things on my own and give my dealership the opportunity to resolve it as well. I don't want them to think I'm going "over their heads" and becoming that demanding customer!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #1755
Moogles
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105813
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Moogles Good Standing Member
i just bought a 2012 Ford Focus SEL with 26000 km on it, and i still have the transmission shuddering problem...
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #1756
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,106, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
i just bought a 2012 Ford Focus SEL with 26000 km on it, and i still have the transmission shuddering problem...
Hi Moogles,

Have you been in touch with Ford Canada? They'll be in the best position to assist you. Give them a call at 1-800-565-3673 and they'll get to work!

If you have any other questions or concerns, shoot me a PM.

Thanks!
Crystal

Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #1757
magnumea
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105535
What I Drive: 2013 grey st

FF Reputation: 1 magnumea Good Standing Member
My 2013 shuddered badly after it had warmed up when it had 1000 miles on it and we were in the cold and rain in the hurricane in Va. By the time we got back home to sunny SC, the car had 2000 miles on it and the shudder is barely noticable. The dealer looked at it, Crystal got involved, and they didn't find anything wrong with it. Ford followed up with a phone call and said the dealer had called in the district engineer. Maybe it's gone away. Hope so. I remember the 5 speed manual Mustang 5.0s in the eighties that felt like they had toggle switch clutches and needed time to break in. Love the new Focus, though, that replaced our '05 Taurus that replaced out '96 Taurus that replaced our '90 T-Bird (from Mom in '94) that replaced our '90 Sable that replaced our '83 T-Bird that replaced our '80 T-Bird that replaced our '77 Bobcat, not to mention the string of Mustangs and F-150 that went along with them. Ain't called a wrecker but one time to drag one off and that was for the coil on the '87 5.0. Almost a million miles of happy, safe, Ford motoring.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #1758
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,106, Level 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 23%
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumea View Post
My 2013 shuddered badly after it had warmed up when it had 1000 miles on it and we were in the cold and rain in the hurricane in Va. By the time we got back home to sunny SC, the car had 2000 miles on it and the shudder is barely noticable. The dealer looked at it, Crystal got involved, and they didn't find anything wrong with it. Ford followed up with a phone call and said the dealer had called in the district engineer. Maybe it's gone away. Hope so. I remember the 5 speed manual Mustang 5.0s in the eighties that felt like they had toggle switch clutches and needed time to break in. Love the new Focus, though, that replaced our '05 Taurus that replaced out '96 Taurus that replaced our '90 T-Bird (from Mom in '94) that replaced our '90 Sable that replaced our '83 T-Bird that replaced our '80 T-Bird that replaced our '77 Bobcat, not to mention the string of Mustangs and F-150 that went along with them. Ain't called a wrecker but one time to drag one off and that was for the coil on the '87 5.0. Almost a million miles of happy, safe, Ford motoring.
Hey magnumea,

Thank you for your loyalty to Ford! I'm glad to hear that you love your Focus and that you're heading towards a million miles. Congratulations!

If you ever need anything in the future, you know how to reach me.

Thanks!
Crystal

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #1759
MJune512
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106401
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus - Gray

FF Reputation: 1 MJune512 Good Standing Member
Very Disappointed

I figured I would post my issues here and hopefully Crystal can help me. I bought a 2013 Focus SE on Oct 10th. It already had over 400 miles on it and after just a couple days, I was concerned about the shuddering, rough shifting, and rolling backwards on hills. It also would delay in shifting when trying to accelerate in traffic. I have never been nervous while driving but the things that this car does scare me. I almost got rear ended on the highway because my car wouldn't accelerate for a couple seconds. I live in my car and drive over 1000 miles per week and nothing has gotten better, even a little bit. I now have over 7k miles on the car.

I wish I could just give the car back. Why wouldn't the dealership educate me on the difference in the transmission so my expectations would be in line? I feel cheated now that I have found so much negative feedback online. The window sticker says its an automatic transmission, not an "automatic-manual" or "manual controlled by a computer" like the mechanic says.

I called Ford Customer Service already and 4 days later, the shop foreman at my dealership called to discuss my concerns. He said all the safety concerns I described to him are normal in that transmission. I don't understand how safety issues like rolling backwards and not accelerating are "normal". I am taking it in first thing tomorrow morning but I have the impression I am just being pacified rather than really trying to make me happy. I'll post an update on my experience. I have already had it in the dealership twice cause of the transmission. The first time, the new car manager told me to just give him the keys. I left for a four day vacation and when I came back they said everything checked out fine. However, they didnt know who worked on it and wouldnt give me any paperwork that I had had it there. When I had time a couple weeks later, I dropped it off and it took them two days to say they couldnt find anything wrong but did update the software. My hopes are not up for the third time of bringing it in.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #1760
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJune512 View Post
I figured I would post my issues here and hopefully Crystal can help me. I bought a 2013 Focus SE on Oct 10th. It already had over 400 miles on it and after just a couple days, I was concerned about the shuddering, rough shifting, and rolling backwards on hills. It also would delay in shifting when trying to accelerate in traffic. I have never been nervous while driving but the things that this car does scare me. I almost got rear ended on the highway because my car wouldn't accelerate for a couple seconds. I live in my car and drive over 1000 miles per week and nothing has gotten better, even a little bit. I now have over 7k miles on the car.

I wish I could just give the car back. Why wouldn't the dealership educate me on the difference in the transmission so my expectations would be in line? I feel cheated now that I have found so much negative feedback online. The window sticker says its an automatic transmission, not an "automatic-manual" or "manual controlled by a computer" like the mechanic says.

I called Ford Customer Service already and 4 days later, the shop foreman at my dealership called to discuss my concerns. He said all the safety concerns I described to him are normal in that transmission. I don't understand how safety issues like rolling backwards and not accelerating are "normal". I am taking it in first thing tomorrow morning but I have the impression I am just being pacified rather than really trying to make me happy. I'll post an update on my experience. I have already had it in the dealership twice cause of the transmission. The first time, the new car manager told me to just give him the keys. I left for a four day vacation and when I came back they said everything checked out fine. However, they didnt know who worked on it and wouldnt give me any paperwork that I had had it there. When I had time a couple weeks later, I dropped it off and it took them two days to say they couldnt find anything wrong but did update the software. My hopes are not up for the third time of bringing it in.
First off I will say it's not Ford's responsibility to educate you about their cars. That's YOUR job. Had you spent 30 minutes on google you'd know a lot more about any car you are considering purchasing...

That said, what you're experiencing are NOT normal traits of this tranmission. I've had my car since June and it's shifted smoothly and without any issues since day one. The first thing you should do is file a complaint on the NHTSA website if you really feel your life is in danger. Do not let the dealership bullshit you or push you around, you paid a lot of money for this car and it should function in a safe and sane manner. Here is a video I made of my car, in it you can see how it should be shifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmLC_4Fg1k

The DCT does have quirks, but they should be mostly transparent when functioning properly.

*edit* Here's the link to file a complaint: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Last edited by VectorZ; 11-18-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: NHTSA link

Bookmarks & Social Networks