Taking the ST to the track this weekend. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
A few of the car rags are echoing your sentiments about a proper LSD.
Yes out of the box its fantastic, the pads where the biggest surprise to me. I know why they didnít go with something more aggressive many people would complain that there noise and make lots of dust.

Also I happened to weigh the car today

3420 with me and a half take of gas, Iím 175 I probably had 25lbs junk in the car so that puts it at 3220, its an st2 with sunroof and nave

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wonder if you install higher performance brake pads if the Torque Vectoring will be enhanced as it is brake based or if grippier pads will confuse the system?
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
it shouldnt change the way it works since the computer is constantly adjusting it depending on driving conditions and what not.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I agree it probably would not make a difference, when the vectoring thing kicks in it feel like the car has wheel hop. The brake would grab let off grab let off it was highly annoying.
Dani’s instructor noticed it and he though she was doing something the car.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
acbauza
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104447
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 acbauza Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post

Well Iím back from the track. The weekend was the final SCCA PDX event the year. I had registered Dani for her fist event as a novice and I was doing my usual instructor duties. Unfortunately I had a pretty good cold this weekend so I wasnít feeling as sharp as normal. But I did manage to take the new ST on track for two seasons to see what it really could do.
Over the car is pretty dam good for a bone stock street car the suspension is quite firm surprisingly for the FWD car it quite lively, I was often able to get the back end to step out in the corners but in a very controllable manner with a bit of train braking. However if pushed in to the corner a bit hard it would understear.

The power is fantastic and very smooth delivery but it dues seam to run out of guts in the upper rpm 6000 to 7000, but that can be expected with the small turbo and all the power being in the middle.

What it needs, one the OEM brake pads where a bit of a let down, I was seeing 120 to 125 down the front straight going in to a tight right hander, after several laps the heat really started to affect to pads. I would have expected a bit more aggressive pad that could handle a little more abuse. Dani noted the same thing as a novice driver and her speeds where not nearly as quick as mine.

Second it needs a diff the Ediff electronic stuff is just not up to it. coming out of turn 2 the car was trying to spin the front tire, I could feel the car using the brake to control the wheel spin, needless to say power was not smooth and caused the car to push to the outside of the corner more then I would have liked. Iím sure a diff would have pulled the car out of the corner much quicker and not caused the understear.

Over all as a bone stock street car it performed well, I think upgrading the brake pads and instilling a diff and the car will be exceptional.

Sorry for the lack of sound in the video I must have not turned off the wind noise reducer, the sound was so bad I have to edit it out
So you were at Summit Main. Nice. To alleviate the understeer that you were experiencing you really need to squeeze the power, cause with such a small turbo the boost will come on hard. Taking a later apex will help cause it will ensure a straighter exit. I had my ST to the track on a tight Pocono North course and can say that it didn't push at all. In fact it begged to be PUSHED.

If anything I would expect a push in T3 or T5 as T5 is very tight. Yes, the brakes aren't bad, but think about it. If they would have put Brembo's on it then we wouldn't be worried about the brakes anymore, but that would have driven the cost of the car up. Still the OEM pads aren't bad.

As for the power you need to shift at 6k because the power band is much lower. Turbo cars don't need to be rev'd.

I do agree the tail is very happy but no so much that it makes you say it then you do it.

I'm looking forward to Summit next year as I'll be instructing with the BMW club on Jefferson and Main circuit there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks