focus titanium parasytic drain - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
dtravis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104904
What I Drive: Focus titanium 2005

FF Reputation: 1 dtravis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
focus titanium parasytic drain

I have a focus titanium 2.0l tdci 2005. Every morning when go to start car the battery is flat. It had been to two garages but neither can find the problem. It has had a new battery , new alternator but still isn't fixed. All I have noticed is that the green mileage light never goes out. Every morning it is still on. Don't know if this is anything to do with it, but do know I feel like pulling my hair out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
ok something is deffinetly draining the battery can you pull the fuse for the mileage light see if that changes the battery going dead
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Replace the "Power Hold Relay".
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Yeah something is allowing all systems to remain powered all night.
Some computer add on gizmo caused that if it was installed also.
So I can see if the car never turns off the aux at all...
What he said. the relay.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
I recently went thru something very similar on my daughter's '02 SE wagon. The symptoms were slightly different (she doesn't have a green mileage indicator on this car), but the effects were the same: a brand new battery going flat overnight. A voltmeter reading in the evening showed 12.8-13.0 volts & the next morning it would be 11.6-11.8 volts.

The problem turned out to be a faulty brand new alternator. I had to take the car to a specialty automotive electrical shop (servicing RV/campers & work trucks) in order to track down the issue. They identified the alternator as allowing voltage in the reverse direction (battery to alternator) when the car was off. They measured 4 to 6 amps of draw, & pointed out that the alternator would even 'hum' sometimes when the car was off!

Before having it tested I was disconnecting the negative battery cable at night & reconnecting it in the morning to keep the battery fresh. This was a bit of a hassle, so I installed a battery 'quick disconnect' so that she could disconnect/reconnect with a few quick turns of a knob.

After having it tested I took the independent test report to the parts store & got a free replacement alternator. The first new/remanufactured alternator cost USD $140 & came with a 1 yr warranty. The electrical testing cost another USD $85, but it was worth it to know exactly the source of our problem & to avoid any hassles from the parts store.

After replacing the alternator again (), a voltmeter test showed a solid 12.8 volts after parking overnight.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
In any regard the one for sure thing is that the battery is leaking voltage somehere, take iminhell's advice then if that doesnt work check the connections particularly those from the hot side of the battery.xD

Bookmarks & Social Networks