2013 Ford Focus Transmission - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN3F View Post
We have two new 2013 SE's - one with the 201A option. They both have the Power Shift gearbox. We love the cars but have found the gearbox to still have some hesitation/stumbling in the low gears - first and second - but not all the time. You can also hear some clatter from the clutches (I presume) from time to time - particularly at low speed, during cornering - but not real loud. The gearbox seems to be improved from the issues reported for 2012 models. We understand the concept of the auto manual and it may be that driving style can help - we found that using the throttle will smooth out stumbling. However, it is a concern and surprising that Ford would take to market an unperfected concept like the Power Shift gearbox - especially from one year to the next. This is my tenth Ford in a row as a daily driver and I have faithfully stood by the brand. Time will tell how we feel about these cars and what we consider for the future.
(emphasis added on key point)

It's interesting they fixed issues in the 2012 model, but did not support 2012 owners by retrofitting what must obviously be legitimate issues since you claim they were fixed in the 2013 model. But which specific issues would those be? (e.g. the blender noise almost everyone seems to get...)

Thanks for the post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104678
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Does 2013 ST comes with the same DCT? If so, then this transmission should be strong enough to put up with STs torque. Also, I know that in Europe Ford Focus 3 comes with 140hp 2.0 Diesel engine with almost twice as more torque than gasoline engine - and they have the same Powershift transmission. I'm implying that this transmission is manual after all (without any torque convertors) and should be strong enough to withstand heavy duty usage. On the other hand - it really seems to be delicate on slow speeds - seems to me that is more software issue than anything else?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
I was just wondering if 17'' wheels on a DCT equipped car would lower that 2600 rpm even more?
Also, can I install 17'' tires but with slightly higher profile - thus increasing overall wheel diameter and lowering rpm's even more on highway? e.g. instead of standard 215/50R17 put 215/55R17 or 215/60R17 or even 215/65R17
No, the stock 17" tires have essentially the same rolling radius when compressed (within a few tenths of an inch), so while the calculation would show possibly a few rpm less on the freeway its not enough to be noticible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes. And it should result in better highway mileage and worse city mileage. But considering these transmissions seem to be sensitive when stock, I'd hardly recommend anyone put much more loading on the transmission... Also, you have to be careful with rubbing when turning, hitting bumps, etc.

Most places don't recommend anything more than a 3% variance than stock.
The taller tire would effectively gear it taller, meanining the car would have to work harder to over come the inertia, so although it would be easier to maintain higher speeds perhaps, it will be harder to start off, hurting city fuel economy proportionally.

Quote:
Thanks. However, why city mileage will decrease slightly? If there is enough torq from 2.0 GDI engine on lower rpms - then city mileage should also slightly increase, no (since wheels have to be turned less to cover same distance)?
The taller tires gear the car up more, a taller gear is bad for acceleration, the drivetrain will have to work harder to overcome the extra inertia.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Does 2013 ST comes with the same DCT? If so, then this transmission should be strong enough to put up with STs torque. Also, I know that in Europe Ford Focus 3 comes with 140hp 2.0 Diesel engine with almost twice as more torque than gasoline engine - and they have the same Powershift transmission. I'm implying that this transmission is manual after all (without any torque convertors) and should be strong enough to withstand heavy duty usage. On the other hand - it really seems to be delicate on slow speeds - seems to me that is more software issue than anything else?
No, the ST is only available with a 6 speed manual transmision, no automatic or DCT available. Only the wet clutch variant could handle the torque but that version is limited to Europe and the rest of the world.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
foy1719
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94942
What I Drive: 2013 SE sedan 2014 SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foy1719 Good Standing Member
We have a 12 SE sedan and a 13 SE sedan. Only difference i can feel and hear is the 2013 when you slow down to a stop the idle stays at 1000 rpm then drops to normal idle. The 12 ( early Dec. 2011 build has not been updated ) does not do this. The 13 seems to be smoother when you make a rolling almost stop then go again. The 1000 rpm seems to make the difference. Both have been quiet and smooth from day 1.

Not sent from .................
Old 10-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I now have 2200 miles on my '13. Absolutely zero problems from the minute I picked it up. It's crisp, smooth, and responds to input well.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlifted06FX4 View Post
I was smart at got the 5 speed. I have no problems.
Likewise, except I have the DCT.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
GEN3F
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104168
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 GEN3F Good Standing Member
Good points. Putting aside the low gear and low speed symptoms mentioned earlier, once the DCT goes beyond second gear it works very well. It is very good at highway speeds from 70 to 80 mph. No problems whatsoever and the RPMs are below 3000 when crusing at those speeds. The car is well designed, engineered and built. The DCT is still somewhat quirky in the low gears but it seems better than what most folks experienced with the 2012s. Time will tell how it works out...
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
dragonpalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104183
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 dragonpalm Good Standing Member
I have a 2013 Focus Titanium with 1300 miles and no major DCT issues or complaints.

In fact, I like the DCT. It creeps forward and backwards like a conventional automatic and on hills, it doesn't drop back like a manual. S mode is great if you want it to hold revs or just want to accelerate faster. From a stop, if you're really light on the throttle, it can be jerky from 1st to 2nd but if you drive normally or have a lead foot, it's smooth and there is no power loss between shifts. If you accelerate, lift off, accelerate and repeat, you can trick it and it can be jerky but no one should be driving like that. At low speeds, it can "rattle" a tiny bit but it's not bothersome and completely normal. My 2011 Mazda3's DI engine rattled more. I've averaged about 27-29 mpg city driving and I've got about 38 mpg on the highway.

Last edited by dragonpalm; 10-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
(emphasis added on key point)

It's interesting they fixed issues in the 2012 model, but did not support 2012 owners by retrofitting what must obviously be legitimate issues since you claim they were fixed in the 2013 model. But which specific issues would those be? (e.g. the blender noise almost everyone seems to get...)

Thanks for the post!
I don't think he stated that he was sure anything really changed. His description of his transmission's performance mimics my 2012 build date 25 May almost to a T.

Bookmarks & Social Networks