2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 52 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #511
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6769MOPARS View Post
I can understand the frustration people feel when something does not work to their satisfaction. However, most of us are quite pleased with our transmissions. I hope those who have a problem are able to determine the cause and get it fixed.
what has happened is that there are serious poblems mixed in with minor ones. BY that I mean any former vw GTI owner can tell you "some" stutter" is normal but NOT when its so pronounced that your passengers ask what is wrong.

So the blanket statement from posters and/or Ford that this is normal does not apply. "Some" people have had their tranny pulled out and FIXED due to seal leaks and/or problems throwout bearings.

In addition it would appear that this problem gets sharply reduced in colder temperatures.

In both the above cases it brings up the question: if this is normal, why can it be made to go away?

Answer because some people have an actual problem, NOT normal operation.

If you go do the research, you will not find 500 post strings at other car makers forums about this same transmission, heavly used by VW and AUDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #512
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen087 View Post
Thought I would post my experience on here as well now that I am finally out of the woods. This may give some people a shred of hope if you are having problems.

Bought my Focus 2012 TI Sedan with 6 miles on it and it drove smooth until about 200-300 miles.

At about 300 miles or so the shuddering in the transmission started. I google'd it and ultimately ended up in these forums where I registered to read more about it. I even took it to Ford because I was having MASSIVE regrets about buying this car. I figured I had purchased an expensive new lemon and wished I could just return it. My dealer told me to try and stick it out until 2,400 miles and they were sure it would go away and smooth out. I'll also point out that during this time I was averaging about 26mpg on a good week, which made me even more mad.

So I stuck it out, and around 1600-1800 miles the grinding started. I was convinced the transmission was going to drop out of the car and that it was breaking, but figured I'd just hold on and wait until I hit the 2,400 mile mark and then I would go rant at the dealer for them lying to me. For the record the grinding was extremely loud and the whole car violently shook.

About 2,100-2,200 miles or so I walked out to my car in the morning, turned it on and left for work. Not a single shutter at all. At first I was like WTF? Since then I haven't had a single shutter or grinding noise in the car and the transmission is smooth as butter and shifts faster than before. I am also averaging about 31 mpg in the city now with the car, and can get close to the 38 on the highway. I really have no good explanation for it, and am at about 3100 miles on mine now.

For about the last 1000 miles I haven't had a single shudder, jerk, or grind. I'm crossing my fingers that the dealer was right, but if you are having really bad problems with your Focus and have really low mileage there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I actually have started to really love my focus now, and aside from the occasional MFT problem (I am still running the older update, since I here the new one has more issues) and using the delayedReboot.cab every other week just kinda as maintenance (I stick it in when I am filling up the gas!) the car is running amazingly well! I'm not sure why the car couldn't come off the lot like this! Obviously not everyone has my experience (the good or the bad) but if you have problems they may just eventually go away.
by any chance did the weather turn colder in your area about the same time ?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #513
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
The problem is that corporate Ford has told the dealerships that these issues are how the transmission is *supposed* to act, so when the dealer refuses to fix something they're acting in accordance with Ford's own rules. No matter how many times you call Ford they won't do a thing about it.

Believe me...I tried. Now the Regional manager doesn't even pick up her phone because for a month and a half we were calling each other every other day and the issue was never resolved. She said "We can't force the dealerships to do anything because they're independent dealerships".
this is an area where ford owners need to be proactive and persistent. Ford did not get to be a world car maker by not carng about owners or quality. Part of the problem here is "this is normal for this type transmission" is being applied witha blanket approach; when in fact "some" people have a far more serious problem which is resolved by pulling out the transmission and repalcing seals and/or throwout bearings. IMO what is needed is a triage approach at the dealers where they go look for the signs of leakage first and if not found, back down to the TSB reflash approach.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #514
1st-Ford
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105892
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 1st-Ford Good Standing Member
.......Break in period I have a 2012 FORD FOCUS my first mind you,
I have over 8700 miles now and yes it gets worse! I think i am passed the break in period now. Reverse is affected as well, when you press on the gas pedal lightly vehicle does not move, apply more pressure it lurches back if your not quick you will hit the vehicle behind you. Now I just shift into Neutral and push it back. Should of bought a HYUNDAI!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #515
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-Ford View Post
.......Break in period I have a 2012 FORD FOCUS my first mind you,
I have over 8700 miles now and yes it gets worse! I think i am passed the break in period now. Reverse is affected as well, when you press on the gas pedal lightly vehicle does not move, apply more pressure it lurches back if your not quick you will hit the vehicle behind you. Now I just shift into Neutral and push it back. Should of bought a HYUNDAI!
Have you gone to your dealer svc dept?, this iis a known and fixable problem covered by one of the TSB's issued by Ford. I had the same thing and they gave me a loaner and fixed it right away.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #516
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Lemon for sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2457 View Post
Well Moose, I would be happy to sale you mine. I've had it for 3 weeks, it has 1300 miles on it. you can have it for what I paid.
We have almost been broad sided because it likes to stop after accelleration and try to figue out what gear to go to next. Problem is, the program is designed to "learn" our driving habits. Well, that may be fine if there is only one driver but, when there is 2, It can't handle the pressure. There are other issues with it as well; Shuddering, studdering and just when you get used to the hesitation, it shoots off the line making it impossible to learn to guage the merging process.
I took it back today They have 3 attempts to fix it and after 15 days "out of service" I can send FoMoCo the little form in the back of the Lemon Law brochure.
Thus begins my trip down Lemon Law Lane.....
REALLY? Its a lemon, I'll give you $10,000, certainly not what you paid for it. lol!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #517
redngreedy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86983
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 redngreedy Good Standing Member
I'm at around 23K miles. My trans was "ok" till the update. It got worse over time and now it's falling on it's face, especially in the cold mornings, or after sitting in traffic. Took it to the dealer last week and with no questions asked (surprised) they are going to replace the clutches. The parts will be here first of the week, dropping it off Wednesday to get repaired.

I really hope this fixes the problem. I liked the car the day i drove it off the lot, now it's a pain in the ass.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #518
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Took my car in for the transmission issue . This time I'll be paying a $125 diagnostic fee if Ford deems it "normal." Wish me luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #519
Rockyherald
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100151
What I Drive: 2012 ZX5 SEL SONIC BLUE

FF Reputation: 1 Rockyherald Good Standing Member
Diagnosis Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Took my car in for the transmission issue . This time I'll be paying a $125 diagnostic fee if Ford deems it "normal." Wish me luck.
Fortunately my wifes son is a ford Master Tech so we won't have to deal with fees and the runaround BS. He's done a few of the clutch replacements. He also said it's a new trans so he recommended waiting a few years before buying a Focus. We didn't listen. If worse comes to worse, after clutch disc replacements, and software updates we'll have him do a complete trans replacement before warranty is up or sooner. We get to bypass the service writers so less hassle. Unfortunately not everyone has this luxury.
Despite the trans it's a nicer ride than the Japcrap and Ford copycats Hyundais and Kias.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #520
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Let us know how it goes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->