no power under load??? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
karlos11
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104929
What I Drive: 2000 2.o zetec

FF Reputation: 1 karlos11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry no power under load???

HI ALL IM NEW TO ALL THIS SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME

RIGHT I HAVE A FORD FOCUS 2.0 ZETEC PETROL W 2000
I'M HAVING THIS BLOODY ANNOYING PROBLEM WITH IT, IT WIL DRIVE ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN 1ST & 2ND GEAR BUT WHEN I CHANGE INTO 3RD ITS GOT NO POWER??? SOMETIMES IN 2ND GEAR TOO... WHETHER ITS PARTIAL THROTTLE OR FULL LOAD?? SCANNED IT UP NO FAULTS FOUND EITHER??

IT REVS PERFECTLY ON TICKOVER ALWAYS STARTS 1ST TURN OF THE KEY & IS SWEET AS A NUT....

RIGHT IVE CHANGED THE FOLLOWING AND ITS STILL NO BETTER???

FUEL PUMP & FUEL FILTER
MASS SENSOR
COIL PACK & PLUGS

JUST IN CASE SOMETHING WAS BREAKING DOWN UNDERLOAD AND I HAVE ALSO TRIED DISCONNECTED VARIOUS THINGS THEN TRIED DRIVING IT TO SEE IF IT HAS ANY EFFECT
THROTTLE POSTION SENSOR
VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR ETC....

AND NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK??? HHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First off- CAPS LOCK OFF. In the texting forum world that's considered yelling and rude.

Mass sensor = MAF for mass air flow

A typical cause of this problem is the wiring going to the coil. You should carefully inspect the wiring that goes to the coil pack plug-in connector. Pull on the individual wires at the connector. Sometimes these wires will be loose inside the connector. Ford makes a pigtail replacement (connector with wiring) that can be spliced in to solve the issue. We have also seen damage to the coil power wiring harness itself near the EGR tube that comes off the exhaust and goes to the EGR. Twist the wiring around to inspect because usually wiring damage is not where you can easily see it.

I don't think this is your problem, but you should check it anyway: grounding. At the negative battery terminal there should be 3 wires. The big one goes to the engine, one small one goes to the wiring harness, and the other goes to the chassis- usually near the battery. Somewhere on the top of the engine, near the back of the head, is the grounding strap. It looks like a copper shoe lace, and should go from the cylinder head to the firewall- I think the UK term is bulkhead. Make sure all that stuff is intact and where it should be. The main ground is probably not the problem, but the other ones can cause some freaky problems if missing or loose.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Someone else having a similar problem, maybe this thread will help you. They focused on the PCV line being the problem. I didn't get into that because you were starting ok. That one usually causes low idle if collapsed, and long starting issues if split- as well as what you're describing.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=293766&page=2

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
karlos11
Focus Rookie

HI THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION IV JUST TRIED THE BREATHER THIS MORNING WITH A NEW PIPE STILL NO GOOD???
ALSO TOOK THE CAT OFF & CHECKED TO SEE IF IT WAS BLOCKED NO GOOD
DROVE THE VEHICLE WITH NO CAT ON ALSO STILL THE SAME SO I PUT THAT BACK ON & RETRY STILL THE SAME.....

BUT NOW IF I LET IT GET WARM & IDLE 4 BOUT 20 MINS IT SOMETIMES DOING IT ON TICKOVER? REV IT UP TO BOUT 6000 RPM & IT JUST DIES LIKE NO FUEL OR SOMETHING??? THEN STRUGGLES TO REV UP & STARTS POPPING & FARTING
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
karlos11
Focus Rookie

Ecu???

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.