Wobbly caliper (not a Focus) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wobbly caliper (not a Focus)

So the wife's van (02 Windstar) has been making a rattling sound from the suspension when hitting bumps for a while. I was certain it was sway bar end links. When I went to replace these, I found that I'd already replaced them some time before, and there was no problem with the end links.

What I found might be making the noise was the caliper, as I wiggled on it, it made the same sounds. The bracket is tight, but for some reason the floating caliper is moving around too much. I do expect some movement from a floating caliper, but not this much. The brakes aren't installed incorrectly, and I do have shims installed- I assume correctly.

Does anyone know if the guide pins go bad and cause the caliper to move around too much? As far as I can tell these are the factory parts at 110k miles and 10 years.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Both sides of the car are like this? If it were me I'd take the guide pins out and inspect those first and then take off the floating part of the caliper and see how it all fits together. My concern would be having to replace the floating part of the caliper, it sounds like those guide pin bores are now bigger than they should be.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would try pulling them out and greasing the pins up nice and good before I condemn them. I've heard of pins going bad but mostly from extreme rust and corrosion issues basically making them stick (sometimes permanently) in their bores. Some Subarus i've encountered will make a clicking sound going over bumps with new calipers we put on that don't have enough lube on the pins. Lube em up and the noise goes away.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
That's a thought. I have plenty of brake caliper grease. I've already ordered new pins from RA along with some other parts she needed. Firestone wanted $250 for the tie rod ends, I ordered a caliper hardware kit, 2 pin kits, sway bar bushings, 2 control arms, and 2 tie rod ends for $160. If that doesn't fix everything in the suspension for the next 100k, I'll shoot myself.

I'll have to shoot myself in the next 50k if the springs go out. Maybe someone will hit her before then.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pins usually get too tight from rust when the boots give up & the grease washes away.....

But they're easy to take out, inspect, & re-grease....

Suppose with an old beast like yours they could have passed that point and worn loose...

(grin)

Only pics I could pull up didn't show any shims, just the pads clipping to the outside ears and clipping into the piston.

Ends of pads would be supported from turning with the rotor by the bracket, a loose fit there would "click" a bit (rattle).

Luck Bud, wish I could see it from here, or better yet be there to share a beer & figure it out....

(grin)

Take Care...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
check the bores for out of round too if new pins don't fix it. its not common to see but it could be possible.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

LOL I barely have time to look at it myself. By the time I wake up on a Sat, I have like 2 hours to look/repair her van before she has to go to work. I'm lucky to get anything done at all!!

Quote:
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Squeezing in time for ANYTHING is a PITA right now, haven't had a regular 2 day weekend in months to get anything done. (On the road the rest of the time)

With the Wife out on Comp. from an injury at the hospital, and some apparatchnik figured her monthly benefits using WEEKLY pay numbers, things have been "interesting"....

It's sad how things take MONTHS to get any care after a workplace injury, when otherwise having a busted up back requiring spinal fusion surgery would be a bit of an emergency....

Luck with keeping the Windstar going!

I'm hoping to get the ESSENTIALS done B4 Winter weather hits for real....

Take Care, Sailor

Bookmarks & Social Networks