Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus - Page 172 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #1711
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedog309 View Post
Well, Maybe you got a Lemon, it happens. My 12 Focus SE is a Hoot to drive. Maybe you are not a very good driver. It gives you grief "STAND
ON IT" Don,t be afraid.
My 2012 TI is also a fabulous drive with currently zero problems. However, I am not complacent. And I have empathy for those who are having issues with the DCT.

Earlier this year Consumer Reports dropped Ford from 10th in reliability to 20th
(a huge drop) because of issues with the DCT and MFT in the Focus. When working properly, the DCT can significantly improve fuel economy in addition to providing a great drive experience. But in my opinion Ford has not managed the issue well. When a company introduces something new (the DCT is new to Ford but not 'new' per se) they need to be all over any issues as soon as they happen. Otherwise, a great product can become perceived as a lousy product. Ford has not only fumbled the ball badly but thrown a few interceptions. DCT issues are ruining a great experience for a lot of Focus owners.

Focus Ford, Focus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1712
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1975 View Post
Hey I'm having the same problem when I start my transmission feels like it's slipping and my car shakes I also notice that when I'm starting and turning right there is a grinding sound coming from the right front tire. I want to take it in to the service department at Battlefield ford in Culpeper VA but I have a feeling that they will just dismiss it as "Nothing"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric670 View Post
first time posting on this board, purchased 2012 focus se sport brand new on 10/2012, had all servicing done by the dealer, after 3k miles started to develop the trans "shudder" and grinding from 1'st to 2'nd gear. grinding is VERY noticable now and is getting worse, dealership says it's "normal". Also had the car basically lose the gear when decelerating when it probably should have been 2nd gear there was NOTHING, very dangerous since i take a left hand turn on the highway and twice now i've pressed the gas and there's nothing, engine just revves up, gotta get on the shoulder, stop, then it'll find a gear and i can go again, dealership has no answer. vehicle now has 13k miles on it...
Hi matt1975 and Cleric670,

I'd like to get you both escalated to your regional customer service managers. To get this ball rolling, I'll need you to send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number. I'll escalate your concerns and ensure that you're contacted promptly.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #1713
Cornhusker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105350
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cornhusker Good Standing Member
Transmission is only getting worse

I bought my 2012 Focus SE August '11 and noticed the same transmission issues early on. They were subtle at first, so I wasn't overly concerned. However, at about 5,000 miles it started getting much worse. Fast forward to 23,000 miles. Transmission has not "adapted" to my driving style like my case manager at Ford customer service advised. Significant shuddering and stuttering of transmission from a stopped position, and quick speed changes required for changing lanes for turning in traffic will often produce similar hiccups with the shifting. When I submitted a formal complaint with Ford I was assigned a case manager who instructed me to arrange for my dealership to take another look (this would be the third official time they'd looked at the transmission). Dealership had it for four days and made various updates available to them from Ford, they said the problem seemed to be somewhat resolved, I got the car back and it drove exactly the same. When I reported the information to the case manager and reiterated the issues with my Focus she read me the company line about the transmission issues and that it should adapt to my driving style. She referenced the "green shift" option, which is what gives the Focus its good gas mileage but not so good shifting. I told her that if the vehicle were going to adapt to my driving style that would've happened by 23,000 but it hasn't. I don't know about other Focus owners, but I would gladly sacrifice a few MPGs if it meant smoother driving. Very frustrated at this point because I did a lot of research when I was originally shopping for a new car and the Focus looked like a solid choice. Why Ford won't just eradicate the issue altogether is beyond me.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #1714
Cornhusker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105350
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cornhusker Good Standing Member
I have 23,000 miles on my '12 Focus SE, the transmission is only getting worse.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1715
magnolia
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96846

FF Reputation: 1 magnolia Good Standing Member
What do you do

I originally posted not long after I bought a 2012 Ti hatchback. I bought the focus hatchback because I needed a four door car with room to carry a wheelchair for my 92 year old mother. Unfortunately I bought the car during a time my husband was having serious health issues and I was kinda in a hurry and wasn't as dilligent as I should have been. When I asked about the shudder they said it would clear up. Other issues beside the shudder were rolling backwards on an incline while in drive when I took my foot off the brake (forget the 2 second rule). Sometimes it would try to stall on take off and sometimes I could hear a kind of "rocks in a tin can" sound coming from the transmission. I took the car back to the dealer for the upgrade. It helped the rolling backwards issue, the trying to stall on takeoff but not the shudder which becomes worse the longer you drive. I did notice that after the upgrade the rpms were increased and now the car vibrates and sounds like a log wagon. Then the other day I was turning left and all of a sudden the car stopped like it had been put in neutral and no matter how much I pressed on the gas pedal it would not move, after several attempts it finally "caught" and I was able to continue driving, thank God there was no one behind me. I took it in to the dealer the next day for maintenance and explained all these things and surprise, surprise they said they ran all these tests and NPF, no problem found. There is no way you can drive the car and not feel the vibration which I believe came from the upgrade to try and reduce the shudder and the rollback. Oh, by the way, Ford advertises 38 miles to the gallon and I have never been able to get more than 29.1 according to the car's computer. I was getting 31 in the car I traded in. Now to play the sympathy card, I am not young and I have a lot of sick people in my life who depend on me and I really don't have time to worry about my car all the time, and I don't have time to take my car to a parking lot and go thru all the steps to reset the dct. Why is the dealer not being more proactive, when I tell them I have read about others having the same issues they look at me like I have lost my mind. What do you do?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #1716
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
She referenced the "green shift" option, which is what gives the Focus its good gas mileage but not so good shifting. I told her that if the vehicle were going to adapt to my driving style that would've happened by 23,000 but it hasn't. I don't know about other Focus owners, but I would gladly sacrifice a few MPGs if it meant smoother driving. Very frustrated at this point because I did a lot of research when I was originally shopping for a new car and the Focus looked like a solid choice. Why Ford won't just eradicate the issue altogether is beyond me.
Since my Ford dealer service worked on my DCT it is shifting flawlessly with zero issues. My fuel economy has actually increased slightly. So it looks like you really can have your cake and eat or DCT and shift it. It probably helps that my Focus rates me as an Advanced Eco Driver.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #1717
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Hey! It looks like those with DCT woes are back. How can those of us who have no problems help them?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #1718
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
Hey! It looks like those with DCT woes are back. How can those of us who have no problems help them?
Your seals didn't go bad and DCT issue people have.. Hows that? Finally got a dealer to take my issues to heart found seals had gone bad and leaking replacing the clutch pack and should be better than new.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #1719
ElGatto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99202
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SE, HB, sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 ElGatto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
Your seals didn't go bad and DCT issue people have.. Hows that? Finally got a dealer to take my issues to heart found seals had gone bad and leaking replacing the clutch pack and should be better than new.
Perhaps we should hear from those who experienced leaky seals and if and when the problem was rectified or, better yet, how the problem was determined.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #1720
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
Perhaps we should hear from those who experienced leaky seals and if and when the problem was rectified or, better yet, how the problem was determined.
Well you can look up clutch replacement & transmission issues with the 2012.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299751

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...298984&page=36

My symptons were stalling in intersections, deacceleration on highways, shuttering when accelerating. Plus multiple other issues. The dealer finally listened about the TSB that stated that seals could be going bad, they lifted the transmission, transmission fluid had leaked in the clutch housing because of bad seals. Therefor the result of replacing the seals and clutch pack.

This had been stated to other dealers that I had taken the car to and just was told everything was up to date and there should be no issues. I told them about the seals but they were told by Ford that is how the car should run and I should give it's "breaking in period" I was already at 23000 miles - past the "breaking in period" Ford is having issues with their seals, not everyone but there are enough out there that they should be concerned about it. All they symptons I had a lot of people are having and being told that "it's normal" Also another sympton is that if the car is driving differently with the TC off - most likely clutches are the issue. With the clutches being wet the TC feels it needs to take over.

Bookmarks & Social Networks