Usa focus v eu focus - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
See, they have a 1.6 TDCI = turbo diesel. We don't. Bringing a turbo diesel 4 cyl to the USA would be like attempting to overthrow the Fed govt. That's anti-oil, so don't even think it. The original PNGV cars were diesel-electric hybrids similar to trains, but when we finally got one of those on the market (Volt) it was changed to a gasoline-electric hybrid using the same drivetrain architecture. With diesel-electric, we'd be seeing Volt fuel economy rise to 72 mpg instead of 44 mpg which is what it gets when the engine is on turning the generator. That's how the PNGV vehicles were built- no batteries or plug-in.

If you think we're in debt now, what would it be like if all the ants and worker bees were spending 30% less in fuel taxes? Are you trying to bankrupt us? Go get a V8, and be an American, ok? The only ones that are bringing little diesels over here are Germans- so there's some kind of conspiracy there. Perhaps they want us to go bankrupt after all. C'mon, who wants a Mercedes 2.1L twin turbo diesel 4 that has 190 hp and 360 lb-ft for 35+ mpg? Not a real American, ok?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
sleepy1263
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104770
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sleepy1263 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
See, they have a 1.6 TDCI = turbo diesel. We don't. Bringing a turbo diesel 4 cyl to the USA would be like attempting to overthrow the Fed govt. That's anti-oil, so don't even think it. The original PNGV cars were diesel-electric hybrids similar to trains, but when we finally got one of those on the market (Volt) it was changed to a gasoline-electric hybrid using the same drivetrain architecture. With diesel-electric, we'd be seeing Volt fuel economy rise to 72 mpg instead of 44 mpg which is what it gets when the engine is on turning the generator. That's how the PNGV vehicles were built- no batteries or plug-in.

If you think we're in debt now, what would it be like if all the ants and worker bees were spending 30% less in fuel taxes? Are you trying to bankrupt us? Go get a V8, and be an American, ok? The only ones that are bringing little diesels over here are Germans- so there's some kind of conspiracy there. Perhaps they want us to go bankrupt after all. C'mon, who wants a Mercedes 2.1L twin turbo diesel 4 that has 190 hp and 360 lb-ft for 35+ mpg? Not a real American, ok?
so what your saying is being american is. big loud and very over exaggerated.

Last edited by sleepy1263; 10-14-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
american aggitation.

If i was american id be aggitated tooo... Yay to special interest groups!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy1263 View Post
this sounds like a case of mine is bigger than yours

i am well aware a 2.0L is faster than a 1.6L,, the clue is in the numbers... i have a 1.6tdci 115 hp only 400hp smaller. we also have the 2.0 model. which on our roads would compromise the mileage.. plus i think the 1.6 is adequate. for the body weight of a focus. as i have no intention of towing, or racing.
I don't recall suggesting your engine was inadequate, only that it was smaller and less powerful than the US engine. Even in the 115hp guise (which is less powerful than even the US Fiesta), your engine is still nearly 25% less powerful than the US Focus, and this is even before we take the difference between the US and Imp Gallons into consideration, so, again, better gas mileage would be expected in your case.

You sound like you have a case of size envy.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
so what your saying is being american is. big loud and very over exaggerated.
Yeah, to a European, yes i would say that American cars and roads..
Way too many gigantic minivans and SUVs, tons of full size trucks just to drive around in something BIG... (not for trucking)
Everyone expects fast starts from a light. If i am slow, people honk! (naturally then i stop to see if anything is a problem...)
Everyone wants to be in a hurry. Even if all it means is getting up to the red light to wait, longer.

In Europe, plenty of under 100Hp cars and vans.. In America, Plenty of over 300HP cars and trucks and SUVs..
Amercans worship car size and horsepower.. Cars with small engines are considered only suitable for treehuggers and women.
EVERY stoplight in America is a chance to drag race...
And naturally tons of folks will object to my blatant oversimplification.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
sleepy1263
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
I don't recall suggesting your engine was inadequate, only that it was smaller and less powerful than the US engine. Even in the 115hp guise (which is less powerful than even the US Fiesta), your engine is still nearly 25% less powerful than the US Focus, and this is even before we take the difference between the US and Imp Gallons into consideration, so, again, better gas mileage would be expected in your case.

You sound like you have a case of size envy.
what you basically stated is that to be a true american. you need an all consuming gas guzzling power machine. and all Americans should buy the most un-economical cars possible. just to keep your country ticking over.

and then you wonder why. you keep going to war over oil.

do you really think oil is hear for ever. it a very depleting commodity.
and good Americans have give there lives for it. Just so you can can consume it, in the most un-productive way possible.

i really hope that's not the american way of though.. other wise this world is screwed...

try reading your own post.. its you that's over compensating my friend !!!

your the kind of person that will use a jack hammer. to drive in a thumb tack.

size envy my backside. i use the right tool for the right job....i don't need to go overboard.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Quote:
what you basically stated is that to be a true american. you need an all consuming gas guzzling power machine. and all Americans should buy the most un-economical cars possible. just to keep your country ticking over.

and then you wonder why. you keep going to war over oil.

do you really think oil is hear for ever. it a very depleting commodity.
and good Americans have give there lives for it. Just so you can can consume it, in the most un-productive way possible.

i really hope that's not the american way of though.. other wise this world is screwed...

try reading your own post.. its you that's over compensating my friend !!!

your the kind of person that will use a jack hammer. to drive in a thumb tack.

size envy my backside. i use the right tool for the right job....i don't need to go overboard.
Even if your tirade is in any way accurate, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Ford does not offer any engines smaller than the 2.0GDI on the US-market Focus, the only other option being the 2.0Ecoboost on the ST, which is still more powerful, thus we in the US cannot choose any engine smaller than that, if we want a Focus.

By what standard the 2.0GDI is a gas-guzzler (38mpUSg/46mpImpg), I'm not entirely sure.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
sleepy1263
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Even if your tirade is in any way accurate, it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Ford does not offer any engines smaller than the 2.0GDI on the US-market Focus, the only other option being the 2.0Ecoboost on the ST, which is still more powerful, thus we in the US cannot choose any engine smaller than that, if we want a Focus.

By what standard the 2.0GDI is a gas-guzzler (38mpUSg/46mpImpg), I'm not entirely sure.
i was not refaring to the 2.0..

i was commenting on an earlier post,,quote... "Go get a V8, and be an American, ok?"

the 2.0 in my opinion can be more economical. if towing eg.... so before jumping in... read other post, and do a little research

Last edited by sleepy1263; 10-16-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Quote:
i was not refaring to the 2.0..

i was commenting on an earlier post,,quote... "Go get a V8, and be an American, ok?"

the 2.0 in my opinion can be more economical. if towing eg.... so before jumping in... read other post, and do a little research
That wasn't my post, but thanks for the retraction of the earlier apology. I have said nothing about any V8s, American or otherwise.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
sleepy1263
Focus Rookie

Quote:
That wasn't my post, but thanks for the retraction of the earlier apology. I have said nothing about any V8s, American or otherwise.
yeh i realize that now. quoted the wrong person, really sorry about that my friend...and i do apologize,

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->