Ran over nail, patch or replace tire? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97715
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Metallic Blue Ford Focus SES

Posts: 105
FF Reputation: 1 Matt89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ran over nail, patch or replace tire?

I ran over a nail on the rear driver side tire and it went through the "edge" (not the bottom part and not the side that part lol) part of the tire. No noticeable air pressure has been lost, haven't checked the exact PSI but it doesn't look or feel deflated at all.

Brought it in to one place, they said it would be $20 to patch up, waited almost 2 hrs until they got to my car and that's when they told me it needs a new tire which will run a total of about $200.

This being my first vehicle Im not sure whether to believe them or not so I just drove it home (2min drive). Should this be patchable or will I need a new tire?


Matt89 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic
 
FLYLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34077
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

Posts: 1,794
FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
pictures? if its not anywhere near the tire wall you dont have to replace the tire, why spend that extra money? most big tire places wont just patch a tire, warranty reason and they risk being sued later or whatever if your tire blows at 100mph and you crash. take it to a small family owned place (at least thats what i used to do back home)
FLYLOW is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict
 
6SPD_soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Fan#: 53637
Location: Soldiers Grove, WI
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Posts: 1,468
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's risky when you get into the shoulder of the tire, and really if it's anywhere near the sidewall you probably won't find any shop willing to do it, or you find a place like Flylow mentioned and they'll tell you it's a bad idea and then do it for you. It's a really easy job to do yourself, just take the tire off, deflate, get nail out and put in the patch, reinflate.

If you've got the money to spare I'd recommend replacing the tire, if money's tight patch it and hope for the best.
6SPD_soul is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97715
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Metallic Blue Ford Focus SES

Posts: 105
FF Reputation: 1 Matt89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yea I brought it to a big place so I'll try a smaller place tomorrow. Money isn't tight right but these are brand new tires from 2 years ago so I don't want to go replacing one already!
Matt89 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic
 
FLYLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34077
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

Posts: 1,794
FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
It's risky when you get into the shoulder of the tire, and really if it's anywhere near the sidewall you probably won't find any shop willing to do it, or you find a place like Flylow mentioned and they'll tell you it's a bad idea and then do it for you. It's a really easy job to do yourself, just take the tire off, deflate, get nail out and put in the patch, reinflate.

If you've got the money to spare I'd recommend replacing the tire, if money's tight patch it and hope for the best.
if its not that bad you dont even need to remove it and patch it... just get a DIY tire plugger kit... in and out in less than 2 mins and you can leave the tire on (i call them sticky worm kits)
FLYLOW is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
 
focusmaniaczx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Fan#: 55157
Location: conover, NC
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Posts: 5,966
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
^^^ lol just used one of those the week before last on my girlfriend's car. sunday night, had about 150 miles she needed to drive to get back to school, class in the morning, found a nail in the tire, no tire shops open, bring on the tire plug! it lasted until the following weekend when i replaced the tire. as a matter of fact she ran a plug in another tire for about 6 months or more with no problems.

take a picture of the puncture so we can see how close to the sidewall this is and so we can see roughly what angle it goes in at. you may need to replace that tire but $200 to replace a freaking tire is ridiculously expensive. if money is tight you can call around to some local mom and pop tire shops and ask them if they have any decent used tires in the size that you need. they might charge $25-$50 mounted and balanced.

if you can find a place called discount tire near you then i highly suggest going there and buying a NEW tire. if the tires you have are in good shape they will give you the option to insure those as well as your new tire so if you get a puncture again you can come in and replace the tire for free. a new tire from there might run $70-$90. however i just noticed that you are in canada so i dont think thats an option for you since i believe discount tire isnt in canada...
__________________
focus-power P&P head $1100
focus-power DIY turbo kit $1495
tom's first time in Vegas? PRICELESS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
focusmaniaczx3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic
 
Elizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89280
Location: SouthEast, WI
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Posts: 2,705
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First off if the nail did not actually penetrate the interior of the the tire.. Just pull it out and forget it.
The nail may have twisted into the side and just punctured nothing but rubber.
If so, ZERO need to do anything but pull out the nail.

IF the nail punctured into the inner area, then it penetrated the 'ply' and that usually calls for a repair which also reduces the speed rating by one.
The sidewall area flexs a LOT and cannot be properly repaired. (Because it flexes all the time...)

I would pull out the nail now. Check the pressure a few times over the weekend, and if NO pressure is lost, the nail did NOT enter the interior of the tire.

If you are racing the car at 120mph then yeah have the tire removed and checked inside.
If all you do is normal daily driving. no problem. The tire is NOT going to come apart, explode, or otherwise cause havoc.
The TPF monitoring will tell you if it suddenly starts loosing pressure while driving.
If it does NOT lose any pressure in a few weeks, you are totally in the clear.
Elizabeth is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Matt89
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97715
Location: Toronto, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Metallic Blue Ford Focus SES

Posts: 105
FF Reputation: 1 Matt89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
First off if the nail did not actually penetrate the interior of the the tire.. Just pull it out and forget it.
The nail may have twisted into the side and just punctured nothing but rubber.
If so, ZERO need to do anything but pull out the nail.

IF the nail punctured into the inner area, then it penetrated the 'ply' and that usually calls for a repair which also reduces the speed rating by one.
The sidewall area flexs a LOT and cannot be properly repaired. (Because it flexes all the time...)

I would pull out the nail now. Check the pressure a few times over the weekend, and if NO pressure is lost, the nail did NOT enter the interior of the tire.

If you are racing the car at 120mph then yeah have the tire removed and checked inside.
If all you do is normal daily driving. no problem. The tire is NOT going to come apart, explode, or otherwise cause havoc.
The TPF monitoring will tell you if it suddenly starts loosing pressure while driving.
If it does NOT lose any pressure in a few weeks, you are totally in the clear.
I'm hoping this is the case considering that the nail isn't in all the way and is stick out about a 3/8".
Matt89 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,036
FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
I'm hoping this is the case considering that the nail isn't in all the way and is stick out about a 3/8".
Yeah but, how long is the nail? I'd also move that tire to the rear if its not.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
BigRed03
( o Y o )
 
BigRed03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Fan#: 32177
Location: Ft. Laudy, Afghanistan
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

Posts: 5,549
FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
did you get road hazard on the tires??? I always do for this reason, have yet to need it, but I figure paying it a couple of times spreads the tire replacement cost out, and not a one time.
__________________
BigRed03 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.