Messaging on MFT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Messaging on MFT

How does this actually work? I have a Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx and so far everything works flawlessly. I have 3.0.2 from the factory on my 8-27-12 build Titanium.

I was sitting in the car and driving when I received a text message. MFT recognized nothing. This happened a few times so I was like hm oh well. I'll figure it out later.

However today I was comparing with a co-worker's 2012 Titanium and I received a text message before I got into the car. When the phone hooked up it alerted me that I had a message. I was able to access it and have it read it to me. Pretty nifty right?
So what's up with that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wish it was more consistent. Sometimes it will alert me and sometimes it wont. I honestly dont even use the messaging feature anymore.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Oh so now today of course after I post this I go drive home real quick from work to pick up stuff I receive my messages.
I also noticed this with other things. It's like the features are slowly waking up. First time didn't work and I need to use again until it works once and they will continue to work
Old 10-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
pablo94sc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104464
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SE Sport 5dr (5spd)

FF Reputation: 1 pablo94sc Good Standing Member
I've turned message notification off (under phone menu) numerous times and it always seems to revert back to alerting me, so it's probably a bug in Sync regarding this feature.

BTW, reading a text is nice and all, but I'd rather just ignore the message since Sync can't send a reply while you're driving. A canned response like, "Driving, please call me - Sent from Sync" would be nice.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
afinley
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100856
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 afinley Good Standing Member
If you don't regularly get alerted to messages, on your phone go the Bluetooth menu, select the menu settings, go to Advanced, and make sure Message Access is checked.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
I have found that this is a problem with the OS on the phone. I used to flash ROMs on my phone a lot. Some supported messaging over BT, and others didn't. If you're having problems getting messaging to work over BT in the car, ask a developer to add support for you.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

ok after using this a bit more, I think this feature kind of sucks. Could be a lot better than what it is.. but one day... not too bad of a start
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
ForTiDude
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104656
What I Drive: 2013 red Ti 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 ForTiDude Good Standing Member
I don't yet have a smart phone but I'm researching features and sync compatibility. Here are a few things I've found:
- Make sure bluetooth MAP is enabled on the phone.
- If you make changes to the setup on the phone, re-pair it to sync so sync rediscovers the phone's capabilities. It may only do this at pair time not each time it is linked.
- You should be able to dictate reply text messages directly with phone, android needs "voice actions" setup a free download if not already installed. I think Siri on iPhone will do this as well. Windows phone? I don't know. Some android phones have a car mode with just a few large buttons (icons) for minimal hand use and lots of voice control. The phone would need to be mounted where the speaker phone function is effective.
-Sync manual says that it has 15 canned responses and room to add custom replies to be stored ahead of time. I don't know if they can be used while driving.

I hope this helps some do their own testing and research to get the most out of sync and the smart phone capabilities.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
oldpueblo
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87191
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus

FF Reputation: 1 oldpueblo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo94sc View Post
I've turned message notification off (under phone menu) numerous times and it always seems to revert back to alerting me, so it's probably a bug in Sync regarding this feature.

BTW, reading a text is nice and all, but I'd rather just ignore the message since Sync can't send a reply while you're driving. A canned response like, "Driving, please call me - Sent from Sync" would be nice.
I can reply via voice and it will text it back out, so it's probably phone OS. I'm using Windows Phone 7.5 (Tango). It even asks if it's correct and I can say no and repeat it again if I want.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
If you're using an android phone and don't mind flashing a custom ROM, try CM10 (Cyanogenmod). It works very well, and supports all features.

Bookmarks & Social Networks