Convoluted Intake - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Chamisha07
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104794
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Chamisha07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Convoluted Intake

I am new to this board and mostly new to working on Foci (generally accepted form for plural of Focus?) though not entirely new to Foci. My fiancee had an 05 3dr hatch of oddly the same color as mine. Anyway...

I never did any work on her car as it was under warranty when she had it, but I have a fairly extensive history working on compact cars. I was surprised to find that I could not open the airbox on this car and through this site (from Google) found that it is in fact probably a money making scheme disguised as Ford's way of saving you time, trouble and money in the form of a sealed dealer-only replaceable item that should last the lifetime of the car.

Ok, well that doesn't sit well with me. I like tinkering and I have seen the how-to posted for making a stealthy CAI by replacing all the junk under the airbox with a cone filter. I could easily do that as I have a K&N cone filter laying around. What I wonder though, is it possible to just eliminate that whole convoluted mess of the sealed box and just put on a tube with the filter after it? Will I be tripping codes like crazy or will everything function if some things are just left to dangle? I've never run into problems like this on my old cars (3 S Series Saturns and a Neon). Of course maybe they weren't nearly as complicated (technologically advanced?) as this car.

Anyway, thanks for all the other amazing how-tos and general information. I have a feeling I will be visiting this place often!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Most of the CAIs (cold air intakes) and SRIs (short ram intakes) are simply a "tube" attached to the MAF housing, with an air filter of some type (usually a cone). They rarely trigger a CEL if installed properly, which includes disconnecting the battery during or after installation, so that the ECU can "learn" the new intake. I had one, a Steeda SRI, on my '05 ST, a Duratec like yours, but 2.3l rather than your 2.0l. It made a bit more intake noise, but was otherwise very similar to the sealed 100K factory box, except it was serviceable. My Steeda is for sale if you are interested. Good luck.
And, welcome to FF!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey there, welcome to FF!

The intake on these cars are a breeze for people who want to do CAI's. The only sensor you can really funk up is the MAF sensor, and that's pretty darn hard to do lol. All the factory stuff on there can go with no problems. I got the Steeda Short Ram Intake (some call it a CAI, but its really more of a short ram as far as design is concerned) and had it custom powder coated, but left all the rest of the intake system on below the intake. Tons of folks rip the rest of the stock monstrosity out though.

Here's a pic for some inspiration :P and if you have any questions, ask!

ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
The K&N 57 series intake for the 2.0L motors is wonderful.
It uses the same cone filter you probably have, but replaces everything up to the throttle body with a hard polyethylene tube.
Super clean install, and it keeps your air cold, because the polyethylene tube is a much better insulator that the typical metal intakes.
Here's a picture if you want any "inspiration".
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
if you would like some instructions (a 'how to") look around (search) for "Stealth CAI"

It's a "sticky" on here, and you'll find a lot of posts from those who've done it.

Basically you use minimal hdwe. and existing pieces to remove the box & hook up a cone filter before the MAF.

Prev. advice on unhooking the battery to "reset" the computer so it can "learn" the new intake speeds up the system's adaptation to the change....

Luck!

(Very popular cheap mod.)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Chamisha07
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104794
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Chamisha07 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the responses and the welcome wagon (I'm assuming its a Focus wagon)!

@maintest - How much is your Steeda intake? I generally go homebuilt with my intakes and I could fabricate something if necessary, but maybe for what I want to do it would be easier to go with something ready-made. If the price is right, I might just do that instead.

@PRSman25 - Thanks...that does look like a dead simple install, but I think we have different engines. My intake is not in the back over the valve cover, but toward the front and comes out toward the driver side headlight.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamisha07 View Post
@PRSman25 - Thanks...that does look like a dead simple install, but I think we have different engines. My intake is not in the back over the valve cover, but toward the front and comes out toward the driver side headlight.
Correct, he has the Zetec engine, and yours is a Duratec. The steeda intake was about $230
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamisha07 View Post
Thanks for the responses and the welcome wagon (I'm assuming its a Focus wagon)!

@maintest - How much is your Steeda intake? I generally go homebuilt with my intakes and I could fabricate something if necessary, but maybe for what I want to do it would be easier to go with something ready-made. If the price is right, I might just do that instead.

I have to ask if you have a PZEV. When I put my CAI on my PZEV there was no cut away for the PZEV line to attach. Basically the pzev just scrapes fresh air off the intake and dumps it into the exhaust gas. If you do have a pzev youll need to keep that in mind when buying/making a CAI SRI.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
Whoops! Completely missed that you have the Duratec.
Disregard all information in that post. Haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->