Snorkel Delete - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #81
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonics View Post
Yeah but if you drive alone there's no way to read the device at the same time,better to log.
OK, you're right, but I'm not sure what your point is. I was referring to the ELM327 module itself, not any data logging tools. There's nothing to "read" on the ELM327 device.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #82
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear you had a difficult time with it. Mine went pretty easily, though it was a tight fit to get my hands in there.

I wonder how the FSWerks intake would do if you had a version of the Newmission mod, with the outlet directed toward the filter...

Sent from my stupid phone.
The newmission mod being the "ram-air" right? I've been thinking about doing it. I am skeptical and worried about snow getting in there and blowing up onto the filter in the winter, and rain in the summer.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #83
poole34
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102441
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 2 poole34 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
The newmission mod being the "ram-air" right? I've been thinking about doing it. I am skeptical and worried about snow getting in there and blowing up onto the filter in the winter, and rain in the summer.
I have had the new mission mod for several months. I have driven through some heavy rain and have not had any issues. I also have the snorkel delete. So far so good I have not seen any water in the air box.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #84
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,758, Level 94
Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94 Points: 23,758, Level: 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole34 View Post
I have had the new mission mod for several months. I have driven through some heavy rain and have not had any issues. I also have the snorkel delete. So far so good I have not seen any water in the air box.
Correct, the Newmission mod is the 3" hole cut into the bottom of the box with a Gates radiator hose running up to the insert in the drivers side triangle.

I never had any issues with water intrusion and I even ran it through automatic car washes. The water would have to travel vertically approximately 6" or so, and that would probably only occur if you were literally fording water. Even in that scenario water shouldn't permeate the filter because you maintain your stock intake runners, so without putting a large load on your engine you shouldn't achieve a strong enough suction.

I think that if I did more long-distance/highway commuting that I would quite possibly have a different view on its' benefits. The one time I took an extended highway drive (200 miles), I appeared to have gotten phenomenal gas mileage. Unfortunately, I mainly commute in town and I had been taking a loss in economy.

I will be dyno-testing this mod (hopefully) again after I build my exhaust if my friend still has his dyno. I think that once I open up the exhaust that the Newmission will show gains over the snorkel-delete, but on the stock 2" exhaust it just couldn't do it in town.
2014 FiST-
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #85
poole34
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102441
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 2 poole34 Good Standing Member
Quote:

I think that if I did more long-distance/highway commuting that I would quite possibly have a different view on its' benefits. The one time I took an extended highway drive (200 miles), I appeared to have gotten phenomenal gas mileage. Unfortunately, I mainly commute in town and I had been taking a loss in economy.

I will be dyno-testing this mod (hopefully) again after I build my exhaust if my friend still has his dyno. I think that once I open up the exhaust that the Newmission will show gains over the snorkel-delete, but on the stock 2" exhaust it just couldn't do it in town.
I thought about taking the new mission off but my commute is mostly highway. I average between 34 to 36 mpg. I added roof racks and a wind fairing before doing the mod and my gas mileage went down to 30 so I know it helps. I think adding an exhaust will definitely open it up. I have friend with a shop and a lift so when I get the money saved up I would like to go with an FSWerks stealth exhaust as I am not looking for sound but I may go with the magna flow because I think I can get it cheaper.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #86
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Correct, the Newmission mod is the 3" hole cut into the bottom of the box with a Gates radiator hose running up to the insert in the drivers side triangle.

I never had any issues with water intrusion and I even ran it through automatic car washes. The water would have to travel vertically approximately 6" or so, and that would probably only occur if you were literally fording water. Even in that scenario water shouldn't permeate the filter because you maintain your stock intake runners, so without putting a large load on your engine you shouldn't achieve a strong enough suction.

My other suspicion is whether the Newmission mod would even be effective having completely removed the stock airbox.

(Image courtesy of WhiteTite)

I could drill a hole in the bottom of the FSWerks.. whatever you want to call that thing..let's call it a frame, but would there be enough suction, or any at all? I wonder how much air would actually make it to the filter.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #87
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,758, Level 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Quote:
My other suspicion is whether the Newmission mod would even be effective having completely removed the stock airbox.

I could drill a hole in the bottom of the FSWerks.. whatever you want to call that thing..let's call it a frame, but would there be enough suction, or any at all? I wonder how much air would actually make it to the filter.
Well, at a stop there would most likely be no suction, at least not enough to make a positive effect imho.

I recently Newmissioned a Typhoon that fellow forum member Vluc had sent me for some dyno testing. Once he gets around to installing it we should be getting some feedback on whether or not the mod has an effect on aftermarket intakes...

2014 FiST-
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #88
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I recently Newmissioned a Typhoon that fellow forum member Vluc had sent me for some dyno testing. Once he gets around to installing it we should be getting some feedback on whether or not the mod has an effect on aftermarket intakes...
I can't imagine that it will make any difference at all, especially on a dyno with the hood up and fan blowing.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #89
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,758, Level 94
Level Up 41% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I can't imagine that it will make any difference at all, especially on a dyno with the hood up and fan blowing.
It didn't even go to the dyno because of exactly why you stated. We're more curious as to what, if any, effects there will be on fuel mileage with the mod. A lot of heat soaks into the engine bay due to its sealed design, and having cooler air available for the intake (at speed) may have a positive effect.

2014 FiST-
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #90
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Points 1,277, Level 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
A lot of heat soaks into the engine bay due to its sealed design, and having cooler air available for the intake (at speed) may have a positive effect.
Heat soak isn't an issue when you're moving and that's the only time when the newmission mod might be beneficial to the Typhoon--when in motion. I suppose that it may help the intake to recover more quickly from heat soak that has occurred at a stop. However, I doubt that it would be any more beneficial to the Typhoon than the snorkel delete (with cutout) is.

There's already plenty of cool air available to the Typhoon at speed. I see very little heating of the intake from the OBD2 data, except at a stop, and the temps recover quickly when back in motion. This is before any "ram-air" mods. I have not performed the newmission or the snorkel delete with my setup (yet).
Hatch Nation #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks